Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > advice on landscape photo needed

advice on landscape photo needed

Steve Wolfe

> As part of my job, I am every week in some National Park- Yellowstone,
Bryce
> and so on. I am thinking to take some photos (yes, to sell them). I have

few
> questions:What camera wold be best suitable to take picture and give

enough
> pixels to make about 16/30" print of it,

Whatever camera you have. Take a tripod, learn to use stitching software,
and you can make as large of prints as you want at the full resolution of
the printer.

Even with a 16-megapixel 1Ds Mk II, for a 30" print, will only be at 166
DPI. Now that's not terrible, but with even a $1000 DigiReb XT or D70, in
just about one minute you can take enough prints to stitch together an image
that will make a 400 DPI print 30", 40", 60", or larger. Your only
restriction is that the subjects have to hold still while you're shooting!

> without tweaking it in PS? Also,
> what kind of wide format printer would You recomend?

There are various print houses that have invested in the printers, unless
you are planning on selling a LOT of these, it's probably cheaper to go
through them.

steve

Crownfield

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

> >for output:
> >
> >exposuremanager will print exactly what you sent them.
> >
> >check exposuremanager.com.
> >they will upload your images,
> >and print them as people order them.
> >your cost: $80 per year. no printer required.

> How is this better than dotphoto.com, which (seems to?) do the same
> thing without the $80/year?

never tried dotphoto.

i have unlimited storage,
when i ask a question my reply comes from the manager,
and is either 'do it this way',
or 'we fixed the problem',
or 'what a good idea, expect to see it work in a week or two'.

the 20x30 are very good.
the tee shirts are very good.
printed directly on the tee, not a transfer.

http://vircen.com/tmpem/DSCF0098-a.jpg

> -Joel

> Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography

Stacey

compitus wrote:

> As part of my job, I am every week in some National Park- Yellowstone,
> Bryce and so on. I am thinking to take some photos (yes, to sell them). I
> have few questions:What camera wold be best suitable to take picture and
> give enough pixels to make about 16/30" print of it, without tweaking it
> in PS?

Medium format film camera or larger. One of the 6X9 fuji rangefinders would
work good for this. I had their 6X9 GSW and it's awsome.

Using affordable digital isn't going to go that big and look good without
stiching/lots of PS work. If I made prints that size, I wouldn't be
shooting digital.
--

Stacey

Colin D

compitus wrote:

> As part of my job, I am every week in some National Park- Yellowstone, Bryce
> and so on. I am thinking to take some photos (yes, to sell them). I have few
> questions:What camera wold be best suitable to take picture and give enough
> pixels to make about 16/30" print of it, without tweaking it in PS? Also,
> what kind of wide format printer would You recomend? And last, how one could
> go about selling the pictures?
> Thank You for any advice

That's a pretty good job, to have perks like National Park locations to
visit! There's one thing, though you should check out before you get
too carried away with the idea.

There have been posters on these photographic NG's who have taken shots
on the boss's time - I remember a stunner shot of deer standing n the
middle of a river while a forest fire raged about them. The photog.
commented that since he took the shot while on duty, the copyright, and
hence any profits, were the property of the company which employed him.

If you're on contract, or even permanent staff, check this out. Even if
after hours, if the boss paid for you to be there, he could have a
claim. I hope you're in the clear, though.

Colin.

Steve

Colin D wrote:

> If you're on contract, or even permanent staff, check this out. Even if
> after hours, if the boss paid for you to be there, he could have a
> claim. I hope you're in the clear, though.

If you ever buy a winning lottery ticket while also buying pencils for the office I
hope your employer gives you a bonus with the money they win.

--
Steve

belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.

Colin D

Steve wrote:

> Colin D wrote:
>
> > If you're on contract, or even permanent staff, check this out. Even if
> > after hours, if the boss paid for you to be there, he could have a
> > claim. I hope you're in the clear, though.

> If you ever buy a winning lottery ticket while also buying pencils for the office I
> hope your employer gives you a bonus with the money they win.

Are you making a genuine, helpful point, or are you just a natural
smartass?

Colin

Mark Weaver

"compitus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As part of my job, I am every week in some National Park- Yellowstone,
> Bryce and so on. I am thinking to take some photos (yes, to sell them). I
> have few questions:What camera wold be best suitable to take picture and
> give enough pixels to make about 16/30" print of it, without tweaking it
> in PS? Also, what kind of wide format printer would You recomend? And
> last, how one could go about selling the pictures?
> Thank You for any advice

Well, if you don't already have any idea what kind of camera to buy for the
purpose, I wonder if you have the expertise to shoot professional-quality
photos. Just being in the right place with a good camera isn't all there is
to it

That aside, though, one way to get very high resolution images without very
high end equipment is through panorama stitching--this is particularly
suitable for landscapes, since the is not moving and wide prints are
appropriate. To see what I'm talking about, take a look at Max Lyon's
images:

http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/index.html

I have nothing like Max's patience or expertise, but you can do some pretty
nice things with just a few handheld shots. Here, for example, is a
panorama I made with 4 handheld 8MP images on a recent Virgin Island's
sailing trip (the original version is about 20MP). No idea if anybody'd pay
money for something like it, but similar images have made very nice prints
for my walls:

http://www.fototime.com/67DD7ED9E3B006B/orig.jpg

Mark

rafe bustin

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:01:57 -0500, "Mark Weaver"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have nothing like Max's patience or expertise, but you can do some pretty
>nice things with just a few handheld shots. Here, for example, is a
>panorama I made with 4 handheld 8MP images on a recent Virgin Island's
>sailing trip (the original version is about 20MP). No idea if anybody'd pay
>money for something like it, but similar images have made very nice prints
>for my walls:
>
>http://www.fototime.com/67DD7ED9E3B006B/orig.jpg
>
>Mark

Nice work there. There could be a market
for this as stock photography, if not an
individual collector.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Crownfield

Mark Weaver wrote:

> To see what I'm talking about, take a look at Max Lyon's
> images:
>
> http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/index.html
>
> I have nothing like Max's patience or expertise, but you can do some pretty
> nice things with just a few handheld shots. Here, for example, is a
> panorama I made with 4 handheld 8MP images on a recent Virgin Island's
> sailing trip (the original version is about 20MP). No idea if anybody'd pay
> money for something like it, but similar images have made very nice prints
> for my walls:
>
> http://www.fototime.com/67DD7ED9E3B006B/orig.jpg

mark:
spectacular!

> Mark

Mark Weaver

"rafe bustin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:01:57 -0500, "Mark Weaver"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I have nothing like Max's patience or expertise, but you can do some
>>pretty
>>nice things with just a few handheld shots. Here, for example, is a
>>panorama I made with 4 handheld 8MP images on a recent Virgin Island's
>>sailing trip (the original version is about 20MP). No idea if anybody'd
>>pay
>>money for something like it, but similar images have made very nice prints
>>for my walls:
>>
>>http://www.fototime.com/67DD7ED9E3B006B/orig.jpg
>>
>>Mark

> Nice work there. There could be a market
> for this as stock photography, if not an
> individual collector.

Thanks. That has occurred to me from time to time, but it was never obvious
that trying to do the stock photo thing would generate enough money to make
it worth the trouble of preparing and submitting images (not to mention
figuring out which of the web agencies aren't scams). I have given a couple
images away for a calendar and 'zine, but that's it.

Mark