Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > advice on landscape photo needed

advice on landscape photo needed

compitus

As part of my job, I am every week in some National Park- Yellowstone, Bryce
and so on. I am thinking to take some photos (yes, to sell them). I have few
questions:What camera wold be best suitable to take picture and give enough
pixels to make about 16/30" print of it, without tweaking it in PS? Also,
what kind of wide format printer would You recomend? And last, how one could
go about selling the pictures?
Thank You for any advice

rafe bustin

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 06:31:32 -0800, "compitus" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>As part of my job, I am every week in some National Park- Yellowstone, Bryce
>and so on. I am thinking to take some photos (yes, to sell them). I have few
>questions:What camera wold be best suitable to take picture and give enough
>pixels to make about 16/30" print of it, without tweaking it in PS? Also,
>what kind of wide format printer would You recomend? And last, how one could
>go about selling the pictures?
>Thank You for any advice

The best camera you can afford, and not
necessarily a digital one. Digital capture
has lots of benefits and advantages, but
isn't necessarily the most cost-effective
approach toward large, high-quality, saleable
prints.

Epson, Canon and HP all make fine large-
format printers.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Scott W

How much are you willing to pay for the camera? The print sizes you
are talking about are pretty big so a camera like the 1Ds Mark II or a
MF camera with a digital back would work best but have high cost.

I got to tell you from your post I think you need to do a lot more
research as to what you are getting yourself into. The idea that you
will be making and selling large prints of National Parks and selling
them but you don't want to be bothered with PS seems odd.

Scott

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

>As part of my job, I am every week in some National Park- Yellowstone, Bryce
>and so on. I am thinking to take some photos (yes, to sell them). I have few
>questions:What camera wold be best suitable to take picture and give enough
>pixels to make about 16/30" print of it, without tweaking it in PS? Also,

It's not easy to get a good large print. I would go with a film
camera, and shoot slides, or, if you're up to it, with a medium format
camera.

If you do go digital, consider that a good print needs at least 200dpi
(300 is nicer, 400 nicer yet, beyond that, it doesn't make as much
difference). At 200dpi, your 20"x30" print needs 4000x6000 pixels, or
12MPix. Not easy to find.

What you might want to do is try taking two shots for each picture,
each at 6MPix, and then stitching the two together. Again, it's not
easy to do right, but once you get the knack, you'll end up with much
better prints than you otherwise would.

-Joel

Scott W

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
> >As part of my job, I am every week in some National Park-

Yellowstone, Bryce
> >and so on. I am thinking to take some photos (yes, to sell them). I

have few
> >questions:What camera wold be best suitable to take picture and give

enough
> >pixels to make about 16/30" print of it, without tweaking it in PS?

Also,

> It's not easy to get a good large print. I would go with a film
> camera, and shoot slides, or, if you're up to it, with a medium

format
> camera.
>
> If you do go digital, consider that a good print needs at least

200dpi
> (300 is nicer, 400 nicer yet, beyond that, it doesn't make as much
> difference). At 200dpi, your 20"x30" print needs 4000x6000 pixels,

or
> 12MPix. Not easy to find.

Easy to find, just not easy to afford.

> What you might want to do is try taking two shots for each picture,
> each at 6MPix, and then stitching the two together. Again, it's not
> easy to do right, but once you get the knack, you'll end up with much
> better prints than you otherwise would.

This is a very good idea, make sure to shoot fully manual if you do
this, I do a lot where I stitch 4 images together in 2x2 array.

bob

Scott W wrote:
> Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
>>What you might want to do is try taking two shots for each picture,
>>each at 6MPix, and then stitching the two together. Again, it's not
>>easy to do right, but once you get the knack, you'll end up with much
>>better prints than you otherwise would.

> This is a very good idea, make sure to shoot fully manual if you do
> this, I do a lot where I stitch 4 images together in 2x2 array.

Which software do you use to stitch the array together? I've done some
panoramas, mostly 1x2 to get a wider field of view, and I've been
curious to try making some arrays. I've even built a panorama head. I'm
thinking of getting PTGui.

Bob

Scott W

bob wrote:
> Scott W wrote:
> > Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
> >>What you might want to do is try taking two shots for each picture,
> >>each at 6MPix, and then stitching the two together. Again, it's

not
> >>easy to do right, but once you get the knack, you'll end up with

much
> >>better prints than you otherwise would.

> > This is a very good idea, make sure to shoot fully manual if you do
> > this, I do a lot where I stitch 4 images together in 2x2 array.

> Which software do you use to stitch the array together? I've done

some
> panoramas, mostly 1x2 to get a wider field of view, and I've been
> curious to try making some arrays. I've even built a panorama head.

I'm
> thinking of getting PTGui.
>
> Bob

I use PTGui, it is not very automatic but it have given me the best
results.

Scott

PeterM

"Scott W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) roups.com>...
> How much are you willing to pay for the camera? The print sizes you
> are talking about are pretty big so a camera like the 1Ds Mark II or a
> MF camera with a digital back would work best but have high cost.
>
> I got to tell you from your post I think you need to do a lot more
> research as to what you are getting yourself into. The idea that you
> will be making and selling large prints of National Parks and selling
> them but you don't want to be bothered with PS seems odd.
>
> Scott

I agree with Scott.
I believe that you are starting at the wrong end of the problem.
To whom are you going to sell your pictures? What and where are the
markets?
If you are certain that you are going to have to produce 30 x 16
prints the cost of digital equipment including printer is going to be
quite considerable.
The more economical way to go would be with a good quality film
camera, I suggest a second hand medium format with interchangeable
lenses (Mamiya C330 or similar).
Use reversal film not negative and have a good quality professional
printer produce your prints.
I know that this works, I have done it!
Good luck
Peter M

Crownfield

compitus wrote:

> As part of my job, I am every week in some National Park- Yellowstone, Bryce
> and so on. I am thinking to take some photos (yes, to sell them). I have few
> questions:What camera wold be best suitable to take picture and give enough
> pixels to make about 16/30" print of it, without tweaking it in PS? Also,
> what kind of wide format printer would You recomend? And last, how one could
> go about selling the pictures?
> Thank You for any advice

if you are not going to do all of this,
you will spend the money to have fun, not make money.
thats ok too, as long as you understand it.

first, learn what you are doing.
good photographs are not just shots out the window
while you are doing something else.
if they are, you will fail.

get to know google.com. learn how to find things there.
find other outdoor photographers sites.
pick ones that show you what they got.
spend some time looking at other peoples outdoor shots.
learn from them.
if you do not plan to take the time to get good shots, you fail

next question is getting the images.
bare mininum of 6mp.
12mp is better.

(22mp would really be nice.)
(my wife would kill me on the spot.)

go look at a few cameras.
fuji s2,s3, nikon d2x, and a few canon choices.
which ones feel right?

you will eventually need a wide range of lenses,
from very wide to telephoto.
probably a 12-24, a 17-35, 80-300.

I would not use teleconverters for 20x30 prints.
I would not use economy lenses for 20x30 prints.

after you try them, you will know what you need,
maybe something even longer.

get good shots. sharp, well exposed and well composed.

know what to do with the images to make sure
that white balance is correct,
that the exposure and contrast are corrected.
if you do not plan to take the time to correct them, you fail.

for output:

exposuremanager will print exactly what you sent them.

check exposuremanager.com.
they will upload your images,
and print them as people order them.
your cost: $80 per year. no printer required.

output can be tee shirts, pro prints, mousepads, etc.
I rate quality and support response as amazing.

any questions, ask.

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

>for output:
>
>exposuremanager will print exactly what you sent them.
>
>check exposuremanager.com.
>they will upload your images,
>and print them as people order them.
>your cost: $80 per year. no printer required.

How is this better than dotphoto.com, which (seems to?) do the same
thing without the $80/year?

-Joel