Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > time span based photo site

time span based photo site

rodc

I am exploring very accurately matched "then and now"
comparative imagery of various sites and time frames.

Interested in comments and feed back.

See the "ABOUT" section on the site for important site requirements.

www.retroshift.com

David Dyer-Bennet

"rodc" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I am exploring very accurately matched "then and now"
> comparative imagery of various sites and time frames.
>
> Interested in comments and feed back.
>
> See the "ABOUT" section on the site for important site requirements.
>
> www.retroshift.com

I get just one image out of each sequence, I *think*. The site
navigation is so bizarre I'm really not sure I'm doing the right
thing, though. I have a working quicktime plugin on my system. Your
test link does the same weird thing -- I get one still image and no
controls.

ecm

rodc wrote:
> I am exploring very accurately matched "then and now"
> comparative imagery of various sites and time frames.
>
> Interested in comments and feed back.
>
> See the "ABOUT" section on the site for important site requirements.
>
> www.retroshift.com

Yes, with a lot of experimentation I can see what you're trying to do.
Quite entertaining, actually, it's a good concept. Grabbing the
quicktime slider and dragging it manually back and forth seems to give
the biggest "bang" (to me, anyways. You'll need to do a lot more
hand-holding, though - it was only by accident I found out how to work
it. Make some very simple instructions for viewing the images the first
thing the netzen reads when they hit your site, and include a much more
brief and concise explanation of your purpose - "I like to compare old
photos with what the subject looks like right now" or something about
that long; otherwise they'll just surf on.

ECM

Frank ess

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> "rodc" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> I am exploring very accurately matched "then and now"
>> comparative imagery of various sites and time frames.
>>
>> Interested in comments and feed back.
>>
>> See the "ABOUT" section on the site for important site requirements.
>>
>> www.retroshift.com

> I get just one image out of each sequence, I *think*. The site
> navigation is so bizarre I'm really not sure I'm doing the right
> thing, though. I have a working quicktime plugin on my system. Your
> test link does the same weird thing -- I get one still image and no
> controls.

I was a little mystery-fied too, until I chose "Low Shift", when a
window with (tiny) controls appeared. Clicking the "Play" button wiped
the new to the old. I preferred to drag the indicator slider across the
control, back-and-forthing at my pleasure.

Very interesting. I have a similar project in mind, with Now-Defunct
Riverside (California) International Raceway. I need to spend a day at
its former site, with a sheaf of prints from old photos. It won't be
easy, since as you can see it is now entirely obliterated and overlaid
by residential and commercial development:
http://home.san.rr.com/fsheff/rirpictsc.htm

I purchased two (of several cities offered) books called "Hollywood then
and now" and "Los Angeles ... " The photographer did pretty much the
same thing you are up to: find a good old photo, find the original
viewpoint, make a new photo. Her method of display was to put them into
books, on opposing pages. Works for me.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/off...?condition=all
or
http://tinyurl.com/6ok2j

I enjoyed looking at your site. Thank you for the opportunity.

--
Frank ess

rodc

much appreciated feed back

....I thought I had laid out more instruction than I have ever seen in a site
but vital things are obviously missing, most of all a concise overview.

I am also concerned different OS's and browsers may display the layout
diffrently and that could throw things out of order. not sure how to
tackle this.

Shall keep hacking away..
Rod

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

Can span include span? Fulio Open HTML 5 06-26-2009 10:24 PM
DataGrid (body only) contained in <span>...</span> tags Dan Bishop ASP .Net Datagrid Control 2 06-07-2004 04:00 PM
Enable drag and drop to the text between <span></span> Wang, Jay Javascript 5 05-25-2004 09:33 PM

Advertisments