Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 350D - one seriously miniature camera

350D - one seriously miniature camera

David J. Littleboy

Meandered by the local ma and pa photo shop (Yodobashi Camera) and checked
out the 350D.

It's _TINY_. Essentially unusable by my hands (scrawny with 10" span): very
awkward to hold. People who find the 300D too big will be really really
happy.

(I also checked out their darkroom supplies floor. The photos they have on
the walls demoing the various B&W papers are some of the most gorgeous
images I've seen in a long time. I had sort of forgotten the power and
impact the visceral beauty of a good B&W print can hit you with. It would be
real nice if inkjets could do that well, but I doubt that we digirati will
be seeing anything that nice for a long time. It would be nice if I were
wrong on that...)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Jim Townsend

David J. Littleboy wrote:

> It's _TINY_. Essentially unusable by my hands (scrawny with 10" span): very
> awkward to hold. People who find the 300D too big will be really really
> happy.

Someone on the Photography-on-the-net forums posted a shot of the
350D sitting beside a 1Ds MKII. There *is* a slight size difference

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ad.php?t=62804

Steve Wolfe

> Meandered by the local ma and pa photo shop (Yodobashi Camera) and checked
> out the 350D.
>
> It's _TINY_. Essentially unusable by my hands (scrawny with 10" span):

very
> awkward to hold. People who find the 300D too big will be really really
> happy.

Behind a lens larger than the kit lens and a decent flash, the subject
doesn't even really see the camera, just glass, flash, and your hand.

steve

JohnR66

I'll probably like it. i find the 300D bulky by "Rebel" standards. I'm not
trading in mine yet. I'm waiting for 10+ MP.
John

"David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d1ifrh$a6i$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Meandered by the local ma and pa photo shop (Yodobashi Camera) and checked
> out the 350D.
>
> It's _TINY_. Essentially unusable by my hands (scrawny with 10" span):
> very
> awkward to hold. People who find the 300D too big will be really really
> happy.
>
> (I also checked out their darkroom supplies floor. The photos they have on
> the walls demoing the various B&W papers are some of the most gorgeous
> images I've seen in a long time. I had sort of forgotten the power and
> impact the visceral beauty of a good B&W print can hit you with. It would
> be
> real nice if inkjets could do that well, but I doubt that we digirati will
> be seeing anything that nice for a long time. It would be nice if I were
> wrong on that...)
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

grenner

I agree, I handled one today along with a 20D and the 20D size wise is much
more to my liking. The Epson 800 and 2200 do a good job on black and white
and there is a HP that does a nice job too. It has a black cartrige as well
as a grey cartridge avaialble.

Greg
"David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d1ifrh$a6i$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Meandered by the local ma and pa photo shop (Yodobashi Camera) and checked
> out the 350D.
>
> It's _TINY_. Essentially unusable by my hands (scrawny with 10" span):
> very
> awkward to hold. People who find the 300D too big will be really really
> happy.
>
> (I also checked out their darkroom supplies floor. The photos they have on
> the walls demoing the various B&W papers are some of the most gorgeous
> images I've seen in a long time. I had sort of forgotten the power and
> impact the visceral beauty of a good B&W print can hit you with. It would
> be
> real nice if inkjets could do that well, but I doubt that we digirati will
> be seeing anything that nice for a long time. It would be nice if I were
> wrong on that...)
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

David J. Littleboy

"grenner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I agree, I handled one today along with a 20D and the 20D size wise is

much
> more to my liking. The Epson 800 and 2200 do a good job on black and

white
> and there is a HP that does a nice job too. It has a black cartrige as

well
> as a grey cartridge avaialble.

I have the 800, and I'm sorry to say, but it isn't even close. Miles and
miles. Orders of magnitude. Sigh. Real B&W is seriously gorgeous.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

> > (I also checked out their darkroom supplies floor. The photos they have

on
> > the walls demoing the various B&W papers are some of the most gorgeous
> > images I've seen in a long time. I had sort of forgotten the power and
> > impact the visceral beauty of a good B&W print can hit you with. It

would
> > be
> > real nice if inkjets could do that well, but I doubt that we digirati

will
> > be seeing anything that nice for a long time. It would be nice if I were
> > wrong on that...)
> >
> > David J. Littleboy
> > Tokyo, Japan

Drifter

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:21:38 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

---snip----
>(I also checked out their darkroom supplies floor. The photos they have on
>the walls demoing the various B&W papers are some of the most gorgeous
>images I've seen in a long time. I had sort of forgotten the power and
>impact the visceral beauty of a good B&W print can hit you with. It would be
>real nice if inkjets could do that well, but I doubt that we digirati will
>be seeing anything that nice for a long time. It would be nice if I were
>wrong on that...)

David- You should check out some of the prints from the HP Photosmart
7960. Put in the grey carts and output some marvelous stuff! Wish I
had a wider format version though <grin>.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

Tumbleweed

"David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d1ifrh$a6i$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Meandered by the local ma and pa photo shop (Yodobashi Camera) and checked
> out the 350D.
>
> It's _TINY_. Essentially unusable by my hands (scrawny with 10" span):
> very
> awkward to hold. People who find the 300D too big will be really really
> happy.

It's the one thing that impressed me most.
After working with OM1, OM2 and OM4 for most of my professional life, the
350XT really appeals to me.

Julian Tan

Maybe the larger camera is to compensate for something... (joke)

deryck lant

The message <(E-Mail Removed)>
from Drifter <(E-Mail Removed)> contains these words:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:21:38 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> ---snip----
> >(I also checked out their darkroom supplies floor. The photos they have on
> >the walls demoing the various B&W papers are some of the most gorgeous
> >images I've seen in a long time. I had sort of forgotten the power and
> >impact the visceral beauty of a good B&W print can hit you with. It
> >would be
> >real nice if inkjets could do that well, but I doubt that we digirati will
> >be seeing anything that nice for a long time. It would be nice if I were
> >wrong on that...)

> David- You should check out some of the prints from the HP Photosmart
> 7960. Put in the grey carts and output some marvelous stuff! Wish I
> had a wider format version though <grin>.

The A3+ 8750 available May. 9 ink including blue and 3 black/grey.

The 350D will appeal to many as a lightweight hiking camera.

Deryck