Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > help, black dogs face indistinguishable

help, black dogs face indistinguishable

Ron Baird

Greetings Mike,

Actually, the Kodak 6490, 7590, and z7590 all allow external flash. Great
cameras for such creative work. With a good flash you will capture a much
greater range as flash extends the range of the camera.

http://www.kodak.com/go/dx7590

Talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Michael Meissner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org...
> Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > Michael Meissner wrote:
> >
> > > An external flash can extend the range before the green/red-eye sets

in,
> > > but I don't think the Kodak supports an external flash.

> > *Any* camera with an internal flash will "support" an external flash:
> > http://tinyurl.com/5jvqm

> But as I said in an earlier article, you have to be able to adjust your
> camera's settings (turn down flash intensity, use aperture priority or

manual
> modes), since it doesn't realize the slave flash is going to be firing at

the
> same time, and some of the simpler cameras don't give you those controls.
> Also, I vaguelly recall that Kodak cameras were one of the digital cameras

that
> don't do a preflash, in which case you need the slaves for film cameras
> instead.
>
> Note, slave flashes don't work too well when you are using them in

situations
> that other photographers are present, such as at weddings.
>
> --
> Michael Meissner
> email: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
> http://www.the-meissners.org

Michael Meissner

"Ron Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Greetings Mike,
>
> Actually, the Kodak 6490, 7590, and z7590 all allow external flash. Great
> cameras for such creative work. With a good flash you will capture a much
> greater range as flash extends the range of the camera.
>
> http://www.kodak.com/go/dx7590
>
> Talk to you soon.
>
> Ron Baird
> Eastman Kodak Company

Thanks for the update. I knew some models had flash, but I wasn't sure which
was which.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

Steve

Michael Meissner wrote:

>>*Any* camera with an internal flash will "support" an external flash:

> But as I said in an earlier article, you have to be able to adjust your
> camera's settings (turn down flash intensity, use aperture priority or manual
> modes), since it doesn't realize the slave flash is going to be firing at the
> same time, and some of the simpler cameras don't give you those controls.

When I finally got around to buying a digital the one absolute requirement was manual
control. I really don't see how to live without it unless you only aspire to taking
snapshots.

That said, if you know what you're doing you can still take some control from a fully
automatic camera. A diffuser or deflector (which can be as simple as your hand) can
reduce or eliminate exposure from the onboard flash while still triggering a slaved
unit. Choosing between different strobes, varying distance, or using bounce flash
should allow you to get the exposure you want even if the camera is fully automatic.
It might be a pain in the ass, but if you don't have manual control it may be all you
have to work with.

When I was shopping for a camera I concluded that $300 was the entry price for manual
control, but given the electronic control and a motor for autofocus I don't see that
it should actually cost much to provide manual capability. It's ironic that auto
capability used to cost more and now you have to pay for manual.

> Also, I vaguelly recall that Kodak cameras were one of the digital cameras that
> don't do a preflash, in which case you need the slaves for film cameras
> instead.

I've already got several of those. At least digital slaves save me the expense of
buying digital strobes.

> Note, slave flashes don't work too well when you are using them in situations
> that other photographers are present, such as at weddings.

Maybe the problem is that they work too well. I've been roped into weddings, but
fortunately I've only done 3. The slave issue wasn't a problem, but if I frequently
shot at places with other photographers I'd probably have radio slaves.

Where it has been a problem for me, is caving. Since it's always dark, all of your
companions have lights and the few who have cameras are obviously going to use a
flash. The only digital slave I have so far is a Wein hot shoe slave that isn't
filtered for daylight use, though I'm not sure if that would make a difference. Being
sensitive it will fire when somebody looks towards it while wearing a headlamp as
well as when somebody else's flash goes off. On a recent trip where I took about 130
shots I think the flash fired several hundred times. Usually while I was looking at
it, of course. I've been meaning to check with Wein to see if any of their models
react to a high slew rate as opposed to just intensity.

--
Steve

belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.