Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > B&H photo: camera paid, but not received

B&H photo: camera paid, but not received

Oliver Costich

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:00:57 -0700, Big Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:13:39 -0500, Oliver Costich
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>>The items are lost?
>>>Did I miss a post?
>>>The OP only said they haven't arrived, and no one has claimed they are
>>>lost.

>>They haven't arrived and no one seems to know where it is. Call it
>>whatever you want but there's still no evidence of what happened to it
>>or who is responsible. To me, that's lost.

>What it is *to you* doesn't count.

OK then you define "lost".

>>In any case, there's no reason to presume it was taken or even
>>arrived at Brasilian customs, which the poster claimed was the
>>explanation.

>What matters is what's been determined, which is precious little.
>It's been shipped, and (to the best of our knowledge) hasn't been
>delivered. That's what's been determined so far.

More than that was known, namely that it was delivered in Miami,
presumably to a freight consolidater for Brasil. B&H also seems to
have determined that it has arrived at Brasilian customs.

Oliver Costich

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:43:36 -0800, Crownfield <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Big Bill wrote:

>> >They haven't arrived and no one seems to know where it is. Call it
>> >whatever you want but there's still no evidence of what happened to it
>> >or who is responsible. To me, that's lost.

>> What it is *to you* doesn't count.
>> >
>> >In any case, there's no reason to presume it was taken or even
>> >arrived at Brasilian customs, which the poster claimed was the
>> >explanation.

>> What matters is what's been determined, which is precious little.
>> It's been shipped, and (to the best of our knowledge) hasn't been
>> delivered. That's what's been determined so far.

>sounds like the real problem is customs in brazil.
>obviously B&H does not control customs.

No, but they ought to understand it if they are going to look for
business in Brasil. They also ought to have done whatever they did now
to find the shipment when first told it hadn't arrived. All the guy
wanted was an answer as to why it hadn't arrived in the time he was
told, which is completely reasonable.

>> --
>> Bill Funk
>> Change "g" to "a"

Oliver Costich

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:12:37 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Oliver Costich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>> OneCall, as I said, has better ratings than B&H but is not a full
>> service camera store. I know from dealing with them in the past for
>> electonics that their service level is very high. They even called me
>> after the sale to ask if the camera had arivied and was functioning
>> properly. For large ticket items, I do look beyond B&H to see if a
>> reliable dealer has a significantly lower price.

>B&H is execellent for esoteric items, which aren't carried by the non-camera
>specific retailers. For big ticket items they can be significantly more
>expensive. I.e., they were $300 more for the 20D+18-55 EF-S lens, $150 more
>for the EF-S 10-22, than what I paid. I only order from the highly reputable
>dealers, so I'm not comparing against the slime-ball sellers.

Same experience that I've had. $200 difference on a prosumer DSLR
isn't lunch money.

PTRAVEL

"Oliver Costich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> You don't think retail purchases are different?

I think, in the absence of express terms in the sales contract, all retail
purchases which are subject to jurisdiction in New York State will be
controlled by the same law, whether it is statutory or common-law. Not
knowing New York law, I can't say what it is.

Crownfield

Oliver Costich wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:43:36 -0800, Crownfield <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Big Bill wrote:
> >>
> >> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:13:39 -0500, Oliver Costich

> >> What matters is what's been determined, which is precious little.
> >> It's been shipped, and (to the best of our knowledge) hasn't been
> >> delivered. That's what's been determined so far.

> >sounds like the real problem is customs in brazil.
> >obviously B&H does not control customs.

> No, but they ought to understand it

perhaps they do.
delivery varies from 4 weeks to 16 weeks,
depending on how brazilian customs
feel about their job this week..

> All the guy
> wanted was an answer as to why it hadn't arrived in the time he was
> told, which is completely reasonable.
>

> >> --
> >> Bill Funk
> >> Change "g" to "a"

Big Bill

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:05:11 -0500, Oliver Costich
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>sounds like the real problem is customs in brazil.
>>obviously B&H does not control customs.

>No, but they ought to understand it if they are going to look for
>business in Brasil. They also ought to have done whatever they did now
>to find the shipment when first told it hadn't arrived. All the guy
>wanted was an answer as to why it hadn't arrived in the time he was
>told, which is completely reasonable.

Again, and still, you seem to think that B&H can just snap their
fingers, and this information is available to them.
It takes time, specifically because B&H does not control the shipper.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Oliver Costich

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:36:07 -0700, Big Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:05:11 -0500, Oliver Costich
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>>sounds like the real problem is customs in brazil.
>>>obviously B&H does not control customs.

>>No, but they ought to understand it if they are going to look for
>>business in Brasil. They also ought to have done whatever they did now
>>to find the shipment when first told it hadn't arrived. All the guy
>>wanted was an answer as to why it hadn't arrived in the time he was
>>told, which is completely reasonable.

>Again, and still, you seem to think that B&H can just snap their
>fingers, and this information is available to them.
>It takes time, specifically because B&H does not control the shipper.

No, I do not think that, but they are the ones who can get that info.
The buyer cannot. The buyer's frustration seems to come form lack of
communication from B&H. They could, and should, have kept him informed
of theur tracking down the problem. It appears that they were not very
responsive.

Is B&H good? Yes. Perfect? No. Anyone better? overall, probably not.
That's why I'm placing another order for $300 of odds and ends with
them today.