Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is it medically possible for a uterus to "fall out"?

Is it medically possible for a uterus to "fall out"?

Will Dockery

A female co-worker mentioned to me that a friend had her uterus
literally fall right out. Is that medically possible?

leilabee@hotmail.com

Yes, it is. It's called a prolapsed uterus.

Mxsmanic

Will Dockery writes:

> A female co-worker mentioned to me that a friend had her uterus
> literally fall right out. Is that medically possible?

Not really. The uterus can drop lower in the abdomen if its usual
supports fail, and during delivery it can turn inside out and be
extruded from the body (rare, but a very serious emergency), but it
won't just "fall out" of the body.

Mary_Gordon@tvo.org

There are two things that can happen - eversion or prolapse

During delivery, the uterus can literally turn inside out i.e. i.e.
this is called eversion - its rare in humans (if you do a google,
you'll find lots of articles on livestock - LOL!)I, and its life
threatening. Here is an example - like I said, this particular one is a
scary story, so preggos don't read if you are nervous. I said it's
RARE!! http://www.discover.com/issues/apr-0...s/vital-signs/

On the other hand, prolapse, as opposed to eversion, is actually not
uncommon. It can happen after delivery, but its more common in older
women due to the relaxation of the ligaments that hold it in place
(something close to 30% of older women who've had kids have at least a
degree of it). It can literally sag to the point where the uterus in
part or entirely can stick out of the vagina, causing all kinds of
problems (i.e back pain, problems with sex etc.) Sometimes they deal
with it by getting the woman to wear a pessary - its like an internal
ring gadget that holds the uterus up in place. Kegels can help, but
often it needs surgery.

Here is some info
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...he_uterus?open

Oh the joys of being a woman!

Mary G.
Mom of three

Mary_Gordon@tvo.org

Forgot to mention, since I just noticed it... the article on prolapse I
gave the link to, gives mostly good overview info (which is why I
picked it), but is NOT accurate when it suggests that episiotomy will
prevent prolapse. Current research suggests than episiotomy will NOT
prevent prolapse, so if your doctor tells you that as a reason you need
one, he/she is full of it.

Here is an example of what current research says
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20050201/tips/30.html

Mary G.

Lionel

Kibo informs me that http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) stated that:

>There are two things that can happen - eversion or prolapse
>
>During delive[*SLAP!*]

**** off, troll.

Dr. Florgenstein

Nein.
Der openink must firscht be klosed mit der schtrong sutures.
Like ziss -

www.kup.at/journals/abbildungen/gross/2968.html

Doktor F

"Will Dockery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>A female co-worker mentioned to me that a friend had her uterus
> literally fall right out. Is that medically possible?

Emily

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Here is some info
> http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...he_uterus?open
>
> Oh the joys of being a woman!

My grandmother had a funny story about this. She was incredibly
healthy until 81, and then was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.
Lived the expected 6 months after diagnosis. We of course would have
prefered for her to live longer (and without cancer), but all in
all not a bad way to go: 81 healthy years, then enough warning to
put one's affairs in order.

Anyway, towards the end, she had hospice nurses coming to her house
(never needed to go to a nursing home or even a hospital over night).
One day she complained about some swelling between her legs. The
hospice nurse took a look and said "prolapsed uterus, let's just
pop it back in". A few hours later, my grandma said, "But I had
a hysterectomy!" She thought it was all very funny, and I can still
remember her laughing about it.

Emily

YANewsreader

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Emily <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Here is some info
> > http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b.../Prolapse_of_t
> > he_uterus?open
> >
> > Oh the joys of being a woman!

> My grandmother had a funny story about this.

I bet they're ROTFL over at misc.kids.pregnancy but why the f**k did you
crosspost on rec.photo.digital?

Unless you've taken some good shots of granny's prolapsed cervix....
(Information overload!!!)

--
YAnewsreader
<I do solemnly promise to trim all quotations appropriately before

secheese

On 17 Mar 2005 20:38:48 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Will Dockery)
wrote:

>A female co-worker mentioned to me that a friend had her uterus
>literally fall right out. Is that medically possible?

Oh yeah... I find myself steppin' around them on the sidewalks all the
time.