Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Buying: Web vs. Walk-in

Buying: Web vs. Walk-in

cal

I'm going to buy a particular item, a zoom lens. I've pretty much
made up my mind what I want. I can get it from a walk-in store 60
miles from where I live, or I can buy it from one of a few reputable
internet merchants, with all of whom I've dealt before with no
problems. In the store the item will cost approximately $800 + sales
tax. From the 'net, about 675-ish + shipping, say $20, or so.
Roughly $100 cheaper via the 'net.

From what I've read here and other places, the quality control
practices of a couple of major camera manufacturers are not such that
I may be relatively certain of getting a nearly perfect copy of the
lens. I've read numerous accounts of a buyer having to return an
expensive lens and get another copy, sometimes more than once, before
finally getting a satisfactory one. Has anyone here had such an
experience with a reputable internet merchant? If so would you mind
relating how you went about getting the item exchanged? I would
imagine that there is at least some challenge to putting together
adequate proof of the defectiveness of an item.

I'm thinking a C-note ain't too bad in this case. What say you all?

Cal

Joseph Meehan

cal wrote:
> I'm going to buy a particular item, a zoom lens. I've pretty much
> made up my mind what I want. I can get it from a walk-in store 60
> miles from where I live, or I can buy it from one of a few reputable
> internet merchants, with all of whom I've dealt before with no
> problems. In the store the item will cost approximately $800 + sales
> tax. From the 'net, about 675-ish + shipping, say $20, or so.
> Roughly $100 cheaper via the 'net.
>
> From what I've read here and other places, the quality control
> practices of a couple of major camera manufacturers are not such that
> I may be relatively certain of getting a nearly perfect copy of the
> lens. I've read numerous accounts of a buyer having to return an
> expensive lens and get another copy, sometimes more than once, before
> finally getting a satisfactory one. Has anyone here had such an
> experience with a reputable internet merchant? If so would you mind
> relating how you went about getting the item exchanged? I would
> imagine that there is at least some challenge to putting together
> adequate proof of the defectiveness of an item.
>
> I'm thinking a C-note ain't too bad in this case. What say you all?
>
> Cal

When it comes to a lens, I would say go mail order. I do recommend that
anyone considering a camera buy walk up, as they can then have a chance to
get it into their own hands and find out how it fits and feels. This fit
and feel is far more important that most people think. What fits me fine,
may not work well with you.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Hoffmann

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newshm_d.3118$(E-Mail Removed)...

> 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math <

Bloody bog-Irishness! - send in the Para's to cull the Fenian bastards.

cal

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:42:41 -0000, "Hoffmann" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>newshm_d.3118$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math <

>Bloody bog-Irishness! - send in the Para's to cull the Fenian bastards.

I knew I was taking a chance starting such a politically "ripe"
thread!

Cal

Jim

"cal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm going to buy a particular item, a zoom lens. I've pretty much
> made up my mind what I want. I can get it from a walk-in store 60
> miles from where I live, or I can buy it from one of a few reputable
> internet merchants, with all of whom I've dealt before with no
> problems. In the store the item will cost approximately $800 + sales
> tax. From the 'net, about 675-ish + shipping, say $20, or so.
> Roughly $100 cheaper via the 'net.
>
> From what I've read here and other places, the quality control
> practices of a couple of major camera manufacturers are not such that
> I may be relatively certain of getting a nearly perfect copy of the
> lens. I've read numerous accounts of a buyer having to return an
> expensive lens and get another copy, sometimes more than once, before
> finally getting a satisfactory one. Has anyone here had such an
> experience with a reputable internet merchant? If so would you mind
> relating how you went about getting the item exchanged? I would
> imagine that there is at least some challenge to putting together
> adequate proof of the defectiveness of an item.
>
> I'm thinking a C-note ain't too bad in this case. What say you all?
>
> Cal

I have never had the need to return any piece of camera gear. However since
"nearly perfect" is such an imprecise term, I suspect that you might have a
bit of trouble actually demonstrating that a lens (for example) is
defective. Of course, then one might wonder if just your copy is defective
or if the entire lens type is defective (the infamous Nikon 43-86 zoom comes
to mind in that regard).

In any case, dealing with someone via mail about such matters is much more
difficult than dealing face to face. But, my theory is that if you really
believe that a particular lens might have significant quality control
issues, you should not buy the lens from anyone.
Jim

John DH

Personally I prefer a walk in store for camera and lens kit. Here's a
compromise, print off the internet merchants add, take it to your local
store and ask if they will do a deal. OK they probably won't get the price
right down, but I'll bet if they want your business they will try real hard.

John D

"cal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm going to buy a particular item, a zoom lens. I've pretty much
> made up my mind what I want. I can get it from a walk-in store 60
> miles from where I live, or I can buy it from one of a few reputable
> internet merchants, with all of whom I've dealt before with no
> problems. In the store the item will cost approximately $800 + sales
> tax. From the 'net, about 675-ish + shipping, say $20, or so.
> Roughly $100 cheaper via the 'net.
>
> From what I've read here and other places, the quality control
> practices of a couple of major camera manufacturers are not such that
> I may be relatively certain of getting a nearly perfect copy of the
> lens. I've read numerous accounts of a buyer having to return an
> expensive lens and get another copy, sometimes more than once, before
> finally getting a satisfactory one. Has anyone here had such an
> experience with a reputable internet merchant? If so would you mind
> relating how you went about getting the item exchanged? I would
> imagine that there is at least some challenge to putting together
> adequate proof of the defectiveness of an item.
>
> I'm thinking a C-note ain't too bad in this case. What say you all?
>
> Cal

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

>I'm going to buy a particular item, a zoom lens. I've pretty much
>made up my mind what I want. I can get it from a walk-in store 60
>miles from where I live, or I can buy it from one of a few reputable
>internet merchants, with all of whom I've dealt before with no
>problems. In the store the item will cost approximately $800 + sales
>tax. From the 'net, about 675-ish + shipping, say $20, or so.
>Roughly $100 cheaper via the 'net.

If you buy from B&H, you'll get exactly what you paid for. And if
it's defective, you'll have no trouble returning it.

I assume the same is true for Amazon.com, though I've never ordered
camera equipment from them.

(This is my second pro-B&H post in a row. Yes, they really are that
good.)

-Joel