Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > City map on a Memory Stick.

City map on a Memory Stick.

irwell

My little jewel of a Sony W1 only came with a 32 Mb stick.
Bought a 512 as a standard.
I was thinking of shooting some copies of City maps of
Paris and London in segments and using the 32mb stick.
The W1 has a decent size LCD and enlarges with good detail.
Rather than digging out a paper map would just fire up the
camera. Any thoughts on this?

JohnR66

You could try it. Somce cameras don't like to read jpegs it didn't create.
Some jpegs I editied in Paintshop pro and put back on the card would not
show - invalid file, while others would. Not sure why. I took the card to
the printers and all images printed.
John

"irwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My little jewel of a Sony W1 only came with a 32 Mb stick.
> Bought a 512 as a standard.
> I was thinking of shooting some copies of City maps of
> Paris and London in segments and using the 32mb stick.
> The W1 has a decent size LCD and enlarges with good detail.
> Rather than digging out a paper map would just fire up the
> camera. Any thoughts on this?

cambium

It's an interesting idea, so I just tried it on a map of the French Alps
where I was bicycling a few years ago. I have a Nikon 8800 with, I think, a
1.8 inch lcd screen. It has a 10X zoom when replaying the picture.

What I found was that all the information is there, and you could use it in
a pinch, but I wouldn't want to have to rely on it. Any view is either too
close and detailed or too distant and hard to see. To see detail you have
to zoom in, and then you get lost about the big picture. If you had a
computer to view it on, it would be fine.

A map is something you need to access while you are on the move, and
ususally the person you are with wants to see too. I just don't think it
would work well.

All the best...

"irwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My little jewel of a Sony W1 only came with a 32 Mb stick.
> Bought a 512 as a standard.
> I was thinking of shooting some copies of City maps of
> Paris and London in segments and using the 32mb stick.
> The W1 has a decent size LCD and enlarges with good detail.
> Rather than digging out a paper map would just fire up the
> camera. Any thoughts on this?

irwell

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:12:56 GMT, "cambium" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's an interesting idea, so I just tried it on a map of the French Alps
>where I was bicycling a few years ago. I have a Nikon 8800 with, I think, a
>1.8 inch lcd screen. It has a 10X zoom when replaying the picture.
>
>What I found was that all the information is there, and you could use it in
>a pinch, but I wouldn't want to have to rely on it. Any view is either too
>close and detailed or too distant and hard to see. To see detail you have
>to zoom in, and then you get lost about the big picture.

Probably be good for say, the area near where you are
staying in a strange place. Rather like the Plan de Quartier in the
Paris Metro stations. I toyed with it a bit, and also re-sized
on the camera to a smaller resolution, it still zooms up with
readable information.
>A map is something you need to access while you are on the move, and
>ususally the person you are with wants to see too. I just don't think it
>would work well.
>
>All the best...
>

>"irwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> My little jewel of a Sony W1 only came with a 32 Mb stick.
>> Bought a 512 as a standard.
>> I was thinking of shooting some copies of City maps of
>> Paris and London in segments and using the 32mb stick.
>> The W1 has a decent size LCD and enlarges with good detail.
>> Rather than digging out a paper map would just fire up the
>> camera. Any thoughts on this?

irwell

Was thinking more of shooting the map using the macro
feature, rather than copying a jpg.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 00:49:42 GMT, "JohnR66" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You could try it. Somce cameras don't like to read jpegs it didn't create.
>Some jpegs I editied in Paintshop pro and put back on the card would not
>show - invalid file, while others would. Not sure why. I took the card to
>the printers and all images printed.
>John
>
>"irwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> My little jewel of a Sony W1 only came with a 32 Mb stick.
>> Bought a 512 as a standard.
>> I was thinking of shooting some copies of City maps of
>> Paris and London in segments and using the 32mb stick.
>> The W1 has a decent size LCD and enlarges with good detail.
>> Rather than digging out a paper map would just fire up the
>> camera. Any thoughts on this?

Paul H.

"irwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My little jewel of a Sony W1 only came with a 32 Mb stick.
> Bought a 512 as a standard.
> I was thinking of shooting some copies of City maps of
> Paris and London in segments and using the 32mb stick.
> The W1 has a decent size LCD and enlarges with good detail.
> Rather than digging out a paper map would just fire up the
> camera. Any thoughts on this?

I don't know if the procedure will work with your Sony, but I'd like to
thank you for the suggestion. I live in the East SF Bay Area and do a
considerable amout of hiking in East Bay parks. The East Bay Regional Park
District (www.ebparks.org) graciously provides fairly detailed maps in .pdf
format for nearly all of their many parks, so I imported maps of my
favorites into Photoshop then re-scaled, re-sized and and stored them as
JPEG's, and transferred the files to the appropriate directory on a fairly
useless (up til now, anyway) 32MB CF card which I had previously formatted
in my Fujifilm S7000 zlr camera. The only special thing I did to the files
was to give them all Fuji-type file names, e.g., "DSCF9599.JPG" and the
like.

The maps work great in my camera and I can zoom, pan, and view them to my
heart's desire. Give it a try, I say! And thanks again for the idea.