Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon AF-S lenses - are they really faster?

Nikon AF-S lenses - are they really faster?

Stealth

Can anyone tell me the relative improvement in autofocusing speed between
the Nikon 80-200 AF-D lens and its AF-S counterpart.

I'm planning on buying one of them and using it for sports photography.

TIA-

Rob

Stealth wrote:

> Can anyone tell me the relative improvement in autofocusing speed between
> the Nikon 80-200 AF-D lens and its AF-S counterpart.
>
> I'm planning on buying one of them and using it for sports photography.
>
> TIA-

You would not use the AF after you have tried the AFS lenses. Internal
camera motor compared to the lens motor 70-200 2.8 AFS lens it is

[BnH]

YES
but .... much heavier too

Tested om CAM1300 camera

=bob=

"Stealth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsvSZd.114131$FM3.82551@fed1read02...
> Can anyone tell me the relative improvement in autofocusing speed between
> the Nikon 80-200 AF-D lens and its AF-S counterpart.
>
> I'm planning on buying one of them and using it for sports photography.
>
> TIA-

Ken Tough

Stealth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me the relative improvement in autofocusing speed between
>the Nikon 80-200 AF-D lens and its AF-S counterpart.

The motor drive for the AF is in the camera, so it can perhaps also
depend on the body you are using.

IME, my AF-S is a world apart from the AF.

With such a top fast lens, you should also consider that only the
AF-S will let you use a teleconverter and still have autofocus.

--
Ken Tough

Jan Pasterkamp

Used them both and after using the AFS for a few hours, I qualified the old
AF as SLOW.

Peter Rongsted

"Stealth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me the relative improvement in autofocusing speed between
>the Nikon 80-200 AF-D lens and its AF-S counterpart.

The AF-S lenses gave the F4 a new life in the AF department.

Peter

andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid

In rec.photo.digital Stealth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me the relative improvement in autofocusing speed between
> the Nikon 80-200 AF-D lens and its AF-S counterpart.

The difference is great: AF-S is several times faster.

For small lenses AF-S is not a big deal, but with monsters like the
80-200 2.8 it becomes really important.

Andrew.

BG250

> With such a top fast lens, you should also consider that only the
> AF-S will let you use a teleconverter and still have autofocus.

Don't teleconverters for Nikon have the drive shaft that passes AF on to the
lens for non AF-S? I'm familiar with Pentax AF that has the shaft in the AF
converters.
bg

BG250 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> With such a top fast lens, you should also consider that only the
>> AF-S will let you use a teleconverter and still have autofocus.

> Don't teleconverters for Nikon have the drive shaft that passes AF on to the
> lens for non AF-S?

No. I think some third party ones did, but that's irrlevant now.

Andrew.

DoN. Nichols

In article <r13phGAV8$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ken Tough <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Stealth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Can anyone tell me the relative improvement in autofocusing speed between
>>the Nikon 80-200 AF-D lens and its AF-S counterpart.

>The motor drive for the AF is in the camera, so it can perhaps also
>depend on the body you are using.

It does. My Nikon N90s is *much* faster in a full range
autofocus sweep with the 28-105mm f3.5-4.5D.

And the older 50mm f1.4 seems faster (and noisier) than the
zoom listed above. I haven't tried it on the N90s yet, as the D70 is so
much nicer than a converted N90s at only 1.3 MP.

>IME, my AF-S is a world apart from the AF.
>
>With such a top fast lens, you should also consider that only the
>AF-S will let you use a teleconverter and still have autofocus.

Certainly a point to consider -- though I tend to avoid
teleconverters.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: <(E-Mail Removed)> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564