Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > manual lenses on D70

manual lenses on D70

Ben Thomas

Hi all,

If I put an older manual lens on a Nikon D70, will the in-focus indicator
(inside the viewfinder) still come on when the subject is in focus?

Thanks.

--
Ben Thomas

Jim

"Ben Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> If I put an older manual lens on a Nikon D70, will the in-focus indicator
> (inside the viewfinder) still come on when the subject is in focus?

Yes provided it is an AI or AI-S lens.
Jim

Ben Thomas

Jim wrote:
> "Ben Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>If I put an older manual lens on a Nikon D70, will the in-focus indicator
>>(inside the viewfinder) still come on when the subject is in focus?

> Yes provided it is an AI or AI-S lens.
> Jim

Thanks Jim. Widens the selection a bit.

The question now is, what is a good AI manual focus lens similar to the AF
80-200 2.8 ED? I'm basically trying to find a cheaper lens that will be just as
fast and sharp. I will buy second hand.

--
Ben Thomas

David Dyer-Bennet

Ben Thomas <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> If I put an older manual lens on a Nikon D70, will the in-focus
> indicator (inside the viewfinder) still come on when the subject is in
> focus?

Generally, yes. Possibly with a slow enough lens it won't; but the
manual lenses I use on my Fuji S2 (same rules on which lenses meter
and all, though) are the *fast* ones, so I haven't tested that.

Sheldon

"Ben Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jim wrote:
>> "Ben Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>If I put an older manual lens on a Nikon D70, will the in-focus indicator
>>>(inside the viewfinder) still come on when the subject is in focus?

>> Yes provided it is an AI or AI-S lens.
>> Jim
>>

> Thanks Jim. Widens the selection a bit.
>
> The question now is, what is a good AI manual focus lens similar to the AF
> 80-200 2.8 ED? I'm basically trying to find a cheaper lens that will be
> just as fast and sharp. I will buy second hand.

The AI 80-200 4.5 is a true classic that still gets good reviews. Not as
fast as you want, but it has one ring for focus and zoom and is still a
great lens. Most are in pretty good shape, and didn't fall apart like the
off-brand copies.

> --
> Ben Thomas

Jim

"Ben Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jim wrote:
> > "Ben Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>If I put an older manual lens on a Nikon D70, will the in-focus

indicator
> >>(inside the viewfinder) still come on when the subject is in focus?

> > Yes provided it is an AI or AI-S lens.
> > Jim
> >

> Thanks Jim. Widens the selection a bit.
>
> The question now is, what is a good AI manual focus lens similar to the AF
> 80-200 2.8 ED? I'm basically trying to find a cheaper lens that will be

just as
> fast and sharp. I will buy second hand.

That would be the AI-S version of the lens. However, before going out to
spend money, be aware of the limitations of the D70 with respect to non-AF
lenses. While it is correct that the electronic rangefinder works, the D70
will not get exposure information. This can result in extreme frustration.

Jim

> --
> Ben Thomas

[BnH]

Ben .. is your vision stil 60-60 ?
Knowing that you are a software engineer , its quite rare that you can get
60-60 vision, esp with the tiny viewfinder that D70 has ...
I really advise you to go down and buy an AF lens .. and let the CPU focus
for you.

A friend of mine uses F4 .. and that's fine for him to use MF lenses [large
viewfinder] .... but when he tried an F80 ..
he immediately gives up and put AF lens on.

=bob=

"Ben Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> If I put an older manual lens on a Nikon D70, will the in-focus indicator
> (inside the viewfinder) still come on when the subject is in focus?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas

[BnH] wrote:
> Ben .. is your vision stil 60-60 ?
> Knowing that you are a software engineer , its quite rare that you can get
> 60-60 vision, esp with the tiny viewfinder that D70 has ...
> I really advise you to go down and buy an AF lens .. and let the CPU focus
> for you.
>
> A friend of mine uses F4 .. and that's fine for him to use MF lenses [large
> viewfinder] .... but when he tried an F80 ..
> he immediately gives up and put AF lens on.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think 60/60 vision is required to see the
in-focus indicator light up though.

--
Ben Thomas

[BnH]

ok .. up to you mate.
I am saying that because I had a few prime MF lens ... then when I was using
it on my D1h ...
I think .. "ok .. I give up .. " as to get the In-Focus to lit up .. is much
slower compared when you are
using a MF camera ie FM3A .... manual focusing is much fun in those cam

But I am still eyeing on the MF 600mm f/ 5.6 up in eBAY now .. I think its a
good lens to shot the moon n some wildlife.
Ken Rockwell said his was re-sell at USD 2k back in 2003 .. I wonder what
it'll fetch now.

=bob=

papenfussDIESPAM@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu

In rec.photo.digital Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: That would be the AI-S version of the lens. However, before going out to
: spend money, be aware of the limitations of the D70 with respect to non-AF
: lenses. While it is correct that the electronic rangefinder works, the D70
: will not get exposure information. This can result in extreme frustration.

I've got a friend looking into a Nikon DSLR, so I'd done some research for
him. Apparently one can convert just about *any* of the ancient Nikon lenses to work,
but unless it's AI it won't meter... do I have that correct? My question is what are
the technical reasons why it won't meter? I can understand that it may not know the
min/max aperture ranges on the lens without the right communication in the mount. Is
there some reason why stop-down metering can't be done? (like the Pentax DSLRs with
non-A lenses... )

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *