Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Card error!

Reply
Thread Tools

Card error!

 
 
Beachcomber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-15-2005
Olympus XD card formatted on Windows XP produces Card Error when trying to
format in camera.
Works fine as a drive in Windows, Read / Write, Copy / Paste etc, but
nothing possible in camera.
Anyone know if it's fixable?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Clem
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-15-2005
Use the formater that came with the reader or at least download one.

clem

--
Remove "myeyes" to email me
"Beachcomber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d17i70$iqo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Olympus XD card formatted on Windows XP produces Card Error when trying to
> format in camera.
> Works fine as a drive in Windows, Read / Write, Copy / Paste etc, but
> nothing possible in camera.
> Anyone know if it's fixable?
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jim Townsend
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-15-2005
Beachcomber wrote:

> Olympus XD card formatted on Windows XP produces Card Error when trying to
> format in camera.
> Works fine as a drive in Windows, Read / Write, Copy / Paste etc, but
> nothing possible in camera.
> Anyone know if it's fixable?


If it's a large card (256 or more MB) Windows might have
formatted it using FAT32. Most cameras can only recognize
cards formatted with FAT16.

Try format it again.. The 'Format' window will have an
option for "File System". Make sure FAT is selected and
not FAT 32.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Beachcomber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-15-2005

>
> If it's a large card (256 or more MB) Windows might have
> formatted it using FAT32. Most cameras can only recognize
> cards formatted with FAT16.
>
> Try format it again.. The 'Format' window will have an
> option for "File System". Make sure FAT is selected and
> not FAT 32.
>

It is formatted FAT not FAT 32, I'm thinking the in-Camera Format puts
something on the card that Windows XP format can't.
In Windows Explorer it behaves like any other drive, but when it is in the
Camera the only choice I get is Format or Turn Off, selecting Format
produces *Card Error!* and I can go no further.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Drifter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-16-2005
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:30:57 -0000, "Beachcomber" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>>
>> If it's a large card (256 or more MB) Windows might have
>> formatted it using FAT32. Most cameras can only recognize
>> cards formatted with FAT16.
>>
>> Try format it again.. The 'Format' window will have an
>> option for "File System". Make sure FAT is selected and
>> not FAT 32.
>>

>It is formatted FAT not FAT 32, I'm thinking the in-Camera Format puts
>something on the card that Windows XP format can't.
>In Windows Explorer it behaves like any other drive, but when it is in the
>Camera the only choice I get is Format or Turn Off, selecting Format
>produces *Card Error!* and I can go no further.


Do other cards work in your camera? If not possibly the issue is with
your camera not the card.

Maybe try blowing out the card slot with some compressed air?


Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
 
Reply With Quote
 
Beachcomber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-16-2005
>
> Do other cards work in your camera? If not possibly the issue is with
> your camera not the card.
>
> Maybe try blowing out the card slot with some compressed air?


Yes other cards worked ok
I took it back to the shop this morning and they exchanged it quick as a
flash without question.
I had a looked on the net this afternoon and it seems that if you format an
Olympus XD card in a card reader it becomes unusable in the Camera... I've
read so many tales of woe about them today.
The Olympus answer is to send it back to be re-formatted by them.

>
>
> Drifter
> "I've been here, I've been there..."



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smart Card Certificate Logon and Smart Card Wireless EAP-TLS erha Wireless Networking 0 05-19-2005 01:40 AM
Change E1 card to T1 card possible on AS5350? Vorta Cisco 1 05-05-2005 05:14 PM
pc card vs usb network card Alynn Baker Wireless Networking 1 03-10-2005 06:36 PM
Dell Inprion 1100 see's network with air card and regular network card but does not see the card help! Paul Tutle Sr. - OCC Computer Support 1 10-01-2004 09:23 PM
card reader trouble with 1GB CF card WCH Computer Support 1 01-16-2004 08:38 AM



Advertisments