Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > SD card readers - on speeds & do page size issues exist?

Reply
Thread Tools

SD card readers - on speeds & do page size issues exist?

 
 
Nil Einne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-15-2005
Hey all,

I have always assumed that mostly all USB 2.0 SD card readers (multi
or SD only) should have no problem reading and writing at
approximately the same speed (dependent on the card and any issues
with the way your system is set up). In other words, a the speed of a
high speed USB 2.0 compliant card readers should not vary
significantly between readers.

However, when doing some research in another matter I came up with
this statement:

"Word of warning: Not all USB(2) card readers handle SD cards with
512Mb memory pages (i.e. 1Gb and above...) Some readers were designed
for the older 128Mb paging spec and cause serious performance
issues...."

Does anyone know if this issue really exists and some card readers
have performance issues with 512 mb memory pages? If so, anyone know
how to find out whether a card reader has this issue, other then by
asking the manufacturer who might not know?

Secondly, anyone have any experience or heard of any SD card readers
being significantly slower then other readers, assuming all are really
USB 2.0 highspeed devices (and don't just say they are USB 2.0 when
they aren't actually USB 2.0). Anyone know why such issues could
exist?

Also, I'm mainly looking at the theory now. I'm not particularly
interested in a list of card readers that are fast at the moment.

Thanks all
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Alan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-15-2005

"Nil Einne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hey all,
>
> I have always assumed that mostly all USB 2.0 SD card readers (multi
> or SD only) should have no problem reading and writing at
> approximately the same speed (dependent on the card and any issues
> with the way your system is set up). In other words, a the speed of a
> high speed USB 2.0 compliant card readers should not vary
> significantly between readers.
>
> However, when doing some research in another matter I came up with
> this statement:
>
> "Word of warning: Not all USB(2) card readers handle SD cards with
> 512Mb memory pages (i.e. 1Gb and above...) Some readers were designed
> for the older 128Mb paging spec and cause serious performance
> issues...."
>
> Does anyone know if this issue really exists and some card readers
> have performance issues with 512 mb memory pages? If so, anyone know
> how to find out whether a card reader has this issue, other then by
> asking the manufacturer who might not know?
>
> Secondly, anyone have any experience or heard of any SD card readers
> being significantly slower then other readers, assuming all are really
> USB 2.0 highspeed devices (and don't just say they are USB 2.0 when
> they aren't actually USB 2.0). Anyone know why such issues could
> exist?
>
> Also, I'm mainly looking at the theory now. I'm not particularly
> interested in a list of card readers that are fast at the moment.
>
> Thanks all


You can avoid the problem by getting Card Export. You use the Palm as a card
reader. It is even faster than my "real" card reader.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Pete D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-16-2005
Seriously if there is a problem with the one you are using a new one will be
$15-20, hardly and issue.

"Nil Einne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hey all,
>
> I have always assumed that mostly all USB 2.0 SD card readers (multi
> or SD only) should have no problem reading and writing at
> approximately the same speed (dependent on the card and any issues
> with the way your system is set up). In other words, a the speed of a
> high speed USB 2.0 compliant card readers should not vary
> significantly between readers.
>
> However, when doing some research in another matter I came up with
> this statement:
>
> "Word of warning: Not all USB(2) card readers handle SD cards with
> 512Mb memory pages (i.e. 1Gb and above...) Some readers were designed
> for the older 128Mb paging spec and cause serious performance
> issues...."
>
> Does anyone know if this issue really exists and some card readers
> have performance issues with 512 mb memory pages? If so, anyone know
> how to find out whether a card reader has this issue, other then by
> asking the manufacturer who might not know?
>
> Secondly, anyone have any experience or heard of any SD card readers
> being significantly slower then other readers, assuming all are really
> USB 2.0 highspeed devices (and don't just say they are USB 2.0 when
> they aren't actually USB 2.0). Anyone know why such issues could
> exist?
>
> Also, I'm mainly looking at the theory now. I'm not particularly
> interested in a list of card readers that are fast at the moment.
>
> Thanks all



 
Reply With Quote
 
Nil Einne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-16-2005
"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> You can avoid the problem by getting Card Export. You use the Palm as a card
> reader. It is even faster than my "real" card reader.


As said, I'm not particularly interested in brands of card readers at
the moment. And perhaps I should have made this clear but I do not
have a Palm. Yes perhaps I should not have posted to this group but I
did make clear my question and the reason I posted to the Palm group
is because it is something which a lot of Palm readers should have
knowledge of.

Also, I'm quite sceptical of your claim. This would suggest that card
readers are slow and not capable of reading the maximum speed of a SD
card which I have seen no evidence of in many cases. In fact, I have
seen quite a lot of evidence the card reader in PDAs are very slow,
especially with writing, altho admitedly this has been with Axims not
Palms.

In any case, even if I did have a Palm, there could be numerous
reasons why I would want a card reader even if my Palm could do (which
I doubt as said above). For example, it might be useful to take with
me instead of my Palm if I just want to move data. Or for example, if
I am forced to leave my Palm at work or whatever (say I'm going out
for a night in town and don't regard my Palm as a suitable fashion
accessory and don't want to leave it in my car) but still want to be
able to carry my data around and read it at home. I'm sure I could
come up with other reasons why I might want a card reader even if I
did have a Palm but that's kind of pointless since want I want to do
is up to me really... If it's not something you would do, well I never
asked for suggestions on what else I can do mainly because I didn't
want them.

Thanks for the reply tho.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nil Einne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-16-2005
"Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<_xRZd.304$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Seriously if there is a problem with the one you are using a new one will be
> $15-20, hardly and issue.


Perhaps I should have made this more clear but I do not have a card
reader at the moment. Even if I did have a card reader, I also asked
how to know if a (notice I never said my card reader) card reader has
this problem since if I don't know, how am I going to know whether to
buy a new one (assuming I had one which I don't)? Of course, I could
test the speed but this is not very reliable since it's diffucult to
test the reason for the slow speed. The own way I could think of to
test the speed would be to get two cards exactly the same brand etc
but one 512mb and one 1gb which isn't particularly pratical.

However, I don't really see any reason to go into such details until I
know if the issue actually exists. If it doesn't exist, we are
basically discussing nothing.

So again, does the issue exist?

In case your wondering the reasons I don't want a list of brands which
seem to work fast is because such a list is probably pointless to me
since I probably couldn't get half the things on that list and the
other half would be too expensive to consider unless perhaps there was
a reason to consider them (such as if the issue existed). Bear in mind
I never said I live in the US and I could be earning $1 a day so
$15-$20 may very well be an issue.

Thanks for the reply tho
 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-16-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, nil_einne1
@email.com says...
> "Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<_xRZd.304$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Seriously if there is a problem with the one you are using a new one will be
> > $15-20, hardly and issue.

>
> Perhaps I should have made this more clear but I do not have a card
> reader at the moment. Even if I did have a card reader, I also asked
> how to know if a (notice I never said my card reader) card reader has
> this problem since if I don't know, how am I going to know whether to
> buy a new one (assuming I had one which I don't)? Of course, I could
> test the speed but this is not very reliable since it's diffucult to
> test the reason for the slow speed. The own way I could think of to
> test the speed would be to get two cards exactly the same brand etc
> but one 512mb and one 1gb which isn't particularly pratical.
>
> However, I don't really see any reason to go into such details until I
> know if the issue actually exists. If it doesn't exist, we are
> basically discussing nothing.
>
> So again, does the issue exist?
>
> In case your wondering the reasons I don't want a list of brands which
> seem to work fast is because such a list is probably pointless to me
> since I probably couldn't get half the things on that list and the
> other half would be too expensive to consider unless perhaps there was
> a reason to consider them (such as if the issue existed). Bear in mind
> I never said I live in the US and I could be earning $1 a day so
> $15-$20 may very well be an issue.
>
> Thanks for the reply tho
>



Whether or not a "Card Reader" will work (or work well) for any given memory
card, at any given time, is much more dependant on the operating system of
the computer you are connecting it to.

That has been my experience.

Windows 95, 98, and to some extent 98se, are problematic in their acceptance
of card readers of the USB 1.0 and USB 2.0 breed.

Until and unless the OS is at the level of Windows 2000/Xp, card reader
performance can be perfect on some machines, and sporadic on others.

I must also tell you that I have two card readers that came labeled USB 2.0
ONLY on their package. True to form, they will connect to USB 1.0, but will
not reliably work. To use them this way requires copying files ONE AT A TIME
or they will cause unusual errors, and may trash the file structure. Both of
these card readers are DAZZLE multi-card readers purchased at Radio Shack.

I have several card readers that wouldn't work at all with Windows 98, only
worked poorly with 98se, and work perfectly with Windows XP (until service
pack 2 which made one of them fail). All of these are USB 2.0 (and USB 1.0
backward compatible)

As with all things, if you get your card reader for $6 to $8 (US) then the
chances of it being "Flakey" are better than if you paid $15 to $30 (US).

Your country of origin doesn't enter the equation, not does the wage you
earn, you still get what you pay for no matter how much or how little you
earn.

As for knowing if there is a problem with the card reader, there is no way to
know in advance whether its about to fail. Your first warning (in my
experience) will be a failure.

At home, Im never in a hurry to get the pictures off my cards, so I use
whatever is attatched to the computer Im using. Sometimes that is only a USB
cable to hook to the camera.

At an event, where Im doing "On site delivery" of proofs, speed becomes
important, and I use a computer that has a "built-in" card reader hooked to a
proprietary motherboard connection. Then, and only then does the "card
speed" make a difference to me, as I need to get the pictures into Photoshop,
and sent to the proof printer as fast as possible.


--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-16-2005

"Nil Einne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > You can avoid the problem by getting Card Export. You use the Palm as a

card
> > reader. It is even faster than my "real" card reader.

>
> As said, I'm not particularly interested in brands of card readers at
> the moment. And perhaps I should have made this clear but I do not
> have a Palm. Yes perhaps I should not have posted to this group but I
> did make clear my question and the reason I posted to the Palm group
> is because it is something which a lot of Palm readers should have
> knowledge of.
>
> Also, I'm quite sceptical of your claim. This would suggest that card
> readers are slow and not capable of reading the maximum speed of a SD
> card which I have seen no evidence of in many cases. In fact, I have
> seen quite a lot of evidence the card reader in PDAs are very slow,
> especially with writing, altho admitedly this has been with Axims not
> Palms.


The word is "skeptical", not "sceptical", and I don't care what you think
you know. All I said was _my_ card reader is not as fast, not _all_ card
readers...

>
> In any case, even if I did have a Palm, there could be numerous
> reasons why I would want a card reader even if my Palm could do (which
> I doubt as said above). For example, it might be useful to take with
> me instead of my Palm if I just want to move data. Or for example, if
> I am forced to leave my Palm at work or whatever (say I'm going out
> for a night in town and don't regard my Palm as a suitable fashion
> accessory and don't want to leave it in my car) but still want to be
> able to carry my data around and read it at home. I'm sure I could
> come up with other reasons why I might want a card reader even if I
> did have a Palm but that's kind of pointless since want I want to do
> is up to me really... If it's not something you would do, well I never
> asked for suggestions on what else I can do mainly because I didn't
> want them.


Sorry, my crystal ball is in the shop, and my computer's psychic interface
has a bug. So, unless you ask the question you really want an answer to, you
will get an answer (or suggestions regarding) to the question you actually
asked.

>
> Thanks for the reply tho.


You're welcome.


 
Reply With Quote
 
alan smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-16-2005

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
|
| "Nil Einne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
| > "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

|
| The word is "skeptical", not "sceptical", and I don't care what you
think
| you know. All I said was _my_ card reader is not as fast, not _all_
card
| readers...
|


The language is English, the spelling is sceptical. If you are American
you lost the spelling of the word as you crossed the Atlantic Ocean and
changed the spelling of it (and other words) probably because of lack
of education, wanting to be different, or whatever reason you want to
use.


 
Reply With Quote
 
John W. Kennedy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-16-2005
alan smith wrote:
> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> |
> | "Nil Einne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> | > "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>
> |
> | The word is "skeptical", not "sceptical", and I don't care what you
> think
> | you know. All I said was _my_ card reader is not as fast, not _all_
> card
> | readers...
> |
>
>
> The language is English, the spelling is sceptical. If you are American
> you lost the spelling of the word as you crossed the Atlantic Ocean and
> changed the spelling of it (and other words) probably because of lack
> of education, wanting to be different, or whatever reason you want to
> use.


Actually, no, the correct spelling is "skeptical", from Gk σκεπτικός.
It's not America's fault if the English feel so inferior to the French
that they have to Frenchify their spellings.

---
John W. Kennedy
Read the remains of Shakespeare's lost play, now annotated!
http://pws.prserv.net/jwkennedy/Doub...ood/index.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Big Bill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-17-2005
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:08:46 -0500, "John W. Kennedy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>alan smith wrote:
>> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> |
>> | "Nil Einne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> | news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> | > "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> | news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>>
>> |
>> | The word is "skeptical", not "sceptical", and I don't care what you
>> think
>> | you know. All I said was _my_ card reader is not as fast, not _all_
>> card
>> | readers...
>> |
>>
>>
>> The language is English, the spelling is sceptical. If you are American
>> you lost the spelling of the word as you crossed the Atlantic Ocean and
>> changed the spelling of it (and other words) probably because of lack
>> of education, wanting to be different, or whatever reason you want to
>> use.

>
>Actually, no, the correct spelling is "skeptical", from Gk ?????????.
>It's not America's fault if the English feel so inferior to the French
>that they have to Frenchify their spellings.


Actually, most dictionaries (including M-W.com) see sceptical as a
variant of skeptical. So sceptical is OK.
http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?bo...ptical&x=0&y=0
--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do DNG readers age like RAW readers/converters?? Davy Digital Photography 1 09-29-2007 07:43 PM
Internet Sharing: Equal upload speeds but un-equal download speeds =?Utf-8?B?TkpU?= Wireless Networking 3 09-15-2007 06:22 AM
Core speeds and memory speeds??? Xeno Chauvin Computer Support 1 10-03-2003 03:21 AM
ConnectPRO, Front Panel Ports and Memory Card Readers Iggy35 Computer Support 3 09-12-2003 02:51 PM
Good Deal on USB 2 Card Readers at COMPUSA Ender Digital Photography 1 08-02-2003 02:33 AM



Advertisments