Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Bad Bokeh!

Bad Bokeh!

Confused

paul asked:

> But, how do I pronounce it?

S P E L L I N G I T O U T S L O W E R : )

Like "Pokeman" the game...replace the P with a B. ~P

Boke
Bokeman
etc

Jeff

David J. Littleboy

"Confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> paul asked:
>
> > But, how do I pronounce it?

> S P E L L I N G I T O U T S L O W E R : )
>
> Like "Pokeman" the game...replace the P with a B. ~P

Sheesh.

That's pokemOn: "poke" is "pocket" and "mon" is "monster" => "pocket
monsters" (Yes, the original Japanese is actually English.)

> Boke
> Bokeman

That's "boke" + "mOn" => senile monsters (bokeru means to become senile as
well as to be out of focus).

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

paul

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> "Confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>paul asked:
>>

>>>But, how do I pronounce it?

>>S P E L L I N G I T O U T S L O W E R : )
>>
>>Like "Pokeman" the game...replace the P with a B. ~P

> Sheesh.
>
> That's pokemOn: "poke" is "pocket"

Is boke pronounced similar to pocket?

> and "mon" is "monster" => "pocket
> monsters" (Yes, the original Japanese is actually English.)
>

>>Boke
>>Bokeman

> That's "boke" + "mOn" => senile monsters (bokeru means to become senile as
> well as to be out of focus).
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

Larry

> Is boke pronounced similar to pocket?

The word BOKEH is pronounced just like it is spelled.

As if it were BOE KEHHH! BO KEH the keh sylable is a breathy sound.

Close to Boquet, but no ay sound on the end.

This info supplied by my Japanese neighbor (and former teacher of that photo
class almost 50 years ago).

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

paul

Larry wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>Is boke pronounced similar to pocket?
>>

> The word BOKEH is pronounced just like it is spelled.
>

> As if it were BOE KEHHH! BO KEH the keh sylable is a breathy sound.
>
> Close to Boquet, but no ay sound on the end.

Thanks for the clarification. It kept coming out with an "ay" & that
just sounded wrong.

> This info supplied by my Japanese neighbor (and former teacher of that photo
> class almost 50 years ago).

Confused

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Larry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The word BOKEH is pronounced just like it is spelled.
>
> As if it were BOE KEHHH! BO KEH the keh sylable is a breathy sound.

Thanks... That's what I was forgetting.

> Close to Boquet, but no ay sound on the end.
>
> This info supplied by my Japanese neighbor (and former
> teacher of that photo class almost 50 years ago).

Years ago I had several Japanese speaking acquaintances and I had the
understanding that the "h" was often implied and not spelled out.

(Hence my association with "Pokemon" only because that's also how I've
heard the "poke" part of Pokemon pronounced.) Heh...

Jeff

David J. Littleboy

"Confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Larry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > The word BOKEH is pronounced just like it is spelled.
> >
> > As if it were BOE KEHHH! BO KEH the keh sylable is a breathy sound.

> Thanks... That's what I was forgetting.
>
> > Close to Boquet, but no ay sound on the end.
> >
> > This info supplied by my Japanese neighbor (and former
> > teacher of that photo class almost 50 years ago).

> Years ago I had several Japanese speaking acquaintances and I had the
> understanding that the "h" was often implied and not spelled out.

The "h" is inserted to prevent English speakers from leaving the 'e' silent.
The spelling "boke" would really mess us up. The h has no phonetic content
of its own.

The letter 'h' is also sometimes used to indicate extended vowels: Katoh (a
common family name) is three "syllables": ka, to, and u (which means extend
the previous sound one more syllable). in Japanese phonetics.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Confused

"David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > paul asked:
> >
> > > But, how do I pronounce it?

> > S P E L L I N G I T O U T S L O W E R : )
> >
> > Like "Pokeman" the game...replace the P with a B. ~P

> Sheesh.

rut roh

> That's pokemOn:

I was focusing on the accented "e" as is commonly
used with a full ANSI character set (accenting the
"eh" in "pokeh / bokeh").

As far as the location of the accent of emphasis,
at least here in SoCal, I remember pOkemon...but
that was years ago. I stand corrected; it's a
simple multiple translation/interpretation glitch. ;^)

> "poke" is "pocket" and "mon" is "monster" => "pocket
> monsters" (Yes, the original Japanese is actually English.)

Fascinating... I always thought my grandson's fascination
with the game had that influence on his obsession when
he "had to have more". I used to look away, roll my
eyes, knowing what the teenage years would be like for
him. Yup...girls have his full attention now.

> > Boke
> > Bokeman

> That's "boke" + "mOn" => senile monsters (bokeru means
> to become senile as well as to be out of focus).

How perfect is THAT in this context, eh? The best
I can figure, most photographers seem to be a bit
senile and completely obsessed with their art/hobby/professions.

Now we can "Bokeru" to the list. "Humor the old man."

Heh...

Jeff