Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 12VDC Car Charger for Hewlett-PackardHP R707 Digital Camera

12VDC Car Charger for Hewlett-PackardHP R707 Digital Camera

scharf.steven@gmail.com

DaveC wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:59:37 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote
> (in article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>):
>
> > Do NOT do use an 12VDC to 120VAC inverter in your car, and the

stock AC
> > adapter. Every time someone asks about car chargers, a bunch of

people
> > feel compelled to post about buying an inverter, as if the original
> > poster had never heard of these devices.

> Aside your opinion of others giving opinions, what is the reason you
> recommend against using an inverter? To the contrary, several in this

thread
> find they work perfectly for the OP's purpose.
>
> Please do share your reasons inverters are not a good idea.

I pointed out some of the issues with an inverter in a previous post.
It's not that the inverter won't work, but there are reasons why the
device that the original poster inquired about is a better solution.

Also see: "http://www.solareco.com/articles/article.cfm/id/50"

I forgot about the RFI issue in my other post, but it can be a real
problem, depending on the inverter.

Michael Meissner

Q <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> My entire house runs off a large "modified sine wave" inverter, and has for
> the last 15 plus years. I have yet to find a device that doesn't work just
> fine on the inverter. My camera battery chargers have never been used with
> anything but inverter power since I bought my first digital camera in
> 1998. Not only do I use them with my large home inverter, I also use them
> with a cheap little inverters that I haul along in my car. No problems.

From what I've read, many studio strobes like Alien Bees need a pure sine wave.
Also, the humidifier that is part of my CPAP system (medical device for
treating sleep apnea) is not compatible with the normal car inverters, though I
think there are newer models that can run off of DC current or inverters.
Finally, I tried using my laptop on one of the cheap inverters you get at the
big box stores, and it blew the fuse, so with some devices you might need to
match the specs.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

Steven M. Scharf

"Michael Meissner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org...
> Q <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > My entire house runs off a large "modified sine wave" inverter, and has

for
> > the last 15 plus years. I have yet to find a device that doesn't work

just
> > fine on the inverter. My camera battery chargers have never been used

with
> > anything but inverter power since I bought my first digital camera in
> > 1998. Not only do I use them with my large home inverter, I also use

them
> > with a cheap little inverters that I haul along in my car. No problems.

> From what I've read, many studio strobes like Alien Bees need a pure sine

wave.
> Also, the humidifier that is part of my CPAP system (medical device for
> treating sleep apnea) is not compatible with the normal car inverters,

though I
> think there are newer models that can run off of DC current or inverters.
> Finally, I tried using my laptop on one of the cheap inverters you get at

the
> big box stores, and it blew the fuse, so with some devices you might need

> match the specs.

The el-cheapo inverters sold at the big-box stores are necessarily cheaply
made, and often way over-rated as to their actual capacity. The high
capacity inverters sold for use for off-mains houses are better made, and
more expensive.

For laptops, you should get the iGo, see
http://store.yahoo.com/shentech/igojualhopoa.html. Both AC and DC adapters
in one unit. Very cool.