Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 12VDC Car Charger for Hewlett-PackardHP R707 Digital Camera

12VDC Car Charger for Hewlett-PackardHP R707 Digital Camera

LeftLane100

Hello All:

Please forgive my mis-post if this is not the correct place for this
question.

I am looking to any info leading to finding a 12VDC,
cigarette-lighter-pluggable car charger [or schematic for]
that will fully charge the battery that comes in the box with
the Hewlett-Packard HP R707 Photosmart digital camera.

The 120VAC wall charger works fine, but the convenience of
a car unit would REALLY, REALLY be nice!

Any helpful direction would be greatly appreciated!

some tech specs...

Product Number: L1812A
Mfg Part Number: UBBP03
HP Number: Q223-80001
3.7VDC,1050 mAh
Dimensions: 7mm x 35mm x 53mm

Thanx-In-Advance for your time and talents.

sincerely,

(E-Mail Removed)

Robert

Cheap and fast way is to buy a 300 watt dc to ac converter then use it to
power the ac charger.
That way you have it for other things, I use one for a printer in the car.

"LeftLane100" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hello All:
>
> Please forgive my mis-post if this is not the correct place for this
> question.
>
> I am looking to any info leading to finding a 12VDC,
> cigarette-lighter-pluggable car charger [or schematic for]
> that will fully charge the battery that comes in the box with
> the Hewlett-Packard HP R707 Photosmart digital camera.
>
> The 120VAC wall charger works fine, but the convenience of
> a car unit would REALLY, REALLY be nice!
>
> Any helpful direction would be greatly appreciated!
>
> some tech specs...

> Product Number: L1812A
> Mfg Part Number: UBBP03
> HP Number: Q223-80001
> 3.7VDC,1050 mAh
> Dimensions: 7mm x 35mm x 53mm
>

> Thanx-In-Advance for your time and talents.
>

> sincerely,
>
> (E-Mail Removed)
> (E-Mail Removed)

Ron Hunter

LeftLane100 wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> Please forgive my mis-post if this is not the correct place for this
> question.
>
> I am looking to any info leading to finding a 12VDC,
> cigarette-lighter-pluggable car charger [or schematic for]
> that will fully charge the battery that comes in the box with
> the Hewlett-Packard HP R707 Photosmart digital camera.
>
> The 120VAC wall charger works fine, but the convenience of
> a car unit would REALLY, REALLY be nice!
>
> Any helpful direction would be greatly appreciated!
>
> some tech specs...

> Product Number: L1812A
> Mfg Part Number: UBBP03
> HP Number: Q223-80001
> 3.7VDC,1050 mAh
> Dimensions: 7mm x 35mm x 53mm
>

> Thanx-In-Advance for your time and talents.
>

> sincerely,
>
> (E-Mail Removed)
> (E-Mail Removed)

I suggest you buy one of the inexpensive DC to AC converters that are
available for about $10. That way you can use the charger that came
with the Camera...

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Ron Hunter

Robert wrote:
> Cheap and fast way is to buy a 300 watt dc to ac converter then use it to
> power the ac charger.
> That way you have it for other things, I use one for a printer in the car.
>
> "LeftLane100" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
>>Hello All:
>>
>>Please forgive my mis-post if this is not the correct place for this
>>question.
>>
>>I am looking to any info leading to finding a 12VDC,
>>cigarette-lighter-pluggable car charger [or schematic for]
>>that will fully charge the battery that comes in the box with
>>the Hewlett-Packard HP R707 Photosmart digital camera.
>>
>>The 120VAC wall charger works fine, but the convenience of
>>a car unit would REALLY, REALLY be nice!
>>
>>Any helpful direction would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>some tech specs...

>>Product Number: L1812A
>>Mfg Part Number: UBBP03
>>HP Number: Q223-80001
>>3.7VDC,1050 mAh
>>Dimensions: 7mm x 35mm x 53mm
>>

>>Thanx-In-Advance for your time and talents.
>>

>>sincerely,
>>
>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>(E-Mail Removed)

What kind of printer needs a 300 watt converter??? One of the $10 95
watt models would be more than adequate.

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Jim Townsend

Ron Hunter wrote:

> I suggest you buy one of the inexpensive DC to AC converters that are
> available for about $10. That way you can use the charger that came
> with the Camera...

Yup..

I have an inverter permentently mounted under the seat of my truck.

I use it for my laptop computer, my camera battey charger, my GPS unit,
my Cell phone and my PDA. (It's a heavy duty 700W unit so I can also
run a TV set and small power tools).

An inverter will work for just about everything that uses a 'wall cube',
so you eliminate the need to purchase a dedicated 12V charger for every
portable device you own now or may aquire in the future.

scharf.steven@gmail.com

LeftLane100 wrote:

> Product Number: L1812A
> Mfg Part Number: UBBP03
> HP Number: Q223-80001
> 3.7VDC,1050 mAh
> Dimensions: 7mm x 35mm x 53mm

See
"http://shop.designertoday.com/r-281407/m-Electronics/b-281407/a-B0007NINYA/Default.aspx"
I think that this is what you want.

Do NOT do use an 12VDC to 120VAC inverter in your car, and the stock AC
adapter. Every time someone asks about car chargers, a bunch of people
feel compelled to post about buying an inverter, as if the original
poster had never heard of these devices.

Larry

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Do NOT do use an 12VDC to 120VAC inverter in your car, and the stock AC
> adapter. Every time someone asks about car chargers, a bunch of people
> feel compelled to post about buying an inverter, as if the original
> poster had never heard of these devices.

Here is a NEWS BULLETIN!

A great preponderance of "average people", dont know what an INVERTER is,
where they can be found, or what they are used for.

If you dont like what the people in theis newsgroup post for help, you'de
best declare yourself 'King Of Usenet' and promiss to come up with all the
answers.

And dont forget to give the perfect answer EVERY time.

In your self-centric Universe the only person who matters (you) know all
about inverters so, why should anyone post the suggestion right????

There is no reason NOT to use an inverter in this way, and they can be
cheaper than 12v chargers.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

DaveC

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:59:37 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>):

> Do NOT do use an 12VDC to 120VAC inverter in your car, and the stock AC
> adapter. Every time someone asks about car chargers, a bunch of people
> feel compelled to post about buying an inverter, as if the original
> poster had never heard of these devices.

Aside your opinion of others giving opinions, what is the reason you
recommend against using an inverter? To the contrary, several in this thread
find they work perfectly for the OP's purpose.

Please do share your reasons inverters are not a good idea.

Thanks,

DaveC
(E-Mail Removed)
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

scharf.steven@gmail.com

Larry wrote:

> Here is a NEWS BULLETIN!
>
> A great preponderance of "average people", dont know what an

INVERTER is,
> where they can be found, or what they are used for.

Relax Larry.

I think that you are mistaken about what "average people" know.
Inverters are sold at all the stores where "average people" shop,
including Costco, Wal-Mart, Target, Sears, JC Penney, Bed Bath and
Beyond, Walgreens, etc. It's not like it was 15 years ago when
inverters were an esoteric item ordered from automotive specialty
catalogs.

> If you dont like what the people in theis newsgroup post for help,

you'de
> best declare yourself 'King Of Usenet' and promiss to come up with

all the
> answers.

The problem on Usenet is that too many people don't answer the actual
question, they change the question to fit an answer that they know. The
original poster did not ask about inverters, he asked about a 12VDC car
charger for the R707. Since most people know about inverters, I
presumed that he knew perfectly well what he was asking for.

> And dont forget to give the perfect answer EVERY time.

This is a good point. While I can't claim to be perfect, I do try very
hard to answer the actual question being asked.

> In your self-centric Universe the only person who matters (you) know

all
> about inverters so, why should anyone post the suggestion right????

You want to believe that inverters are some new-fangled device that
many people don't know about, yet this is not true.

> There is no reason NOT to use an inverter in this way, and they can

be
> cheaper than 12v chargers.

There are several reasons why the actual device the original poster was
inquiring about is a better solution.

First, the cheaper inverters shorten the life of devices that they are
attached to because the modified sine wave waveform increases the
losses due to heat, especially in transformer based devices. There are
more expensive inverters that produce a real sine wave, but few people
buy these. For example, a 300W sine wave inverter costs around $150,
while the modified sine-wave model is only around $35 (square wave
models are even less, around $25).

Second, the inverters draw much more power than a DC-DC charger. This
doesn't matter when the car is running, but many times you'd like to
leave the charger plugged in while you're not in the car. No problem
with a DC-DC charger, since it would take days or weeks to drain the
car battery with a DC-DC charger.

Third, the inverters are noisy, since even the smallest ones require a
cooling fan.

Fourth, 12V appliances that plug directly into the lighter are more
efficient. For example, I can run my 12 volt Dirt Devil vacuum just
fine from a 10 amp lighter socket. The 110V Dirt Devil, will not run
off the inverter because the inverter cannot get enough current out of
the lighter socket. If I hook the inverter directly to the battery,
then it will work, but this is a hassle.

You are correct that it is cheaper to buy an inverter. You can buy a
70W inverter for around $10.

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> First, the cheaper inverters shorten the life of devices that they are
> attached to because the modified sine wave waveform increases the
> losses due to heat, especially in transformer based devices. There are
> more expensive inverters that produce a real sine wave, but few people
> buy these. For example, a 300W sine wave inverter costs around $150,
> while the modified sine-wave model is only around $35 (square wave
> models are even less, around $25).

My entire house runs off a large "modified sine wave" inverter, and has
for the last 15 plus years. I have yet to find a device that doesn't
work just fine on the inverter. My camera battery chargers have never
been used with anything but inverter power since I bought my first
digital camera in 1998. Not only do I use them with my large home
inverter, I also use them with a cheap little inverters that I haul
along in my car. No problems.

> Second, the inverters draw much more power than a DC-DC charger. This
> doesn't matter when the car is running, but many times you'd like to
> leave the charger plugged in while you're not in the car. No problem
> with a DC-DC charger, since it would take days or weeks to drain the
> car battery with a DC-DC charger.

Inverter efficiency even in the cheap little inverters is around 90
percent. The amount of power wasted is so minuscule that you'll never
notice.

> Third, the inverters are noisy, since even the smallest ones require a
> cooling fan.

Some inverters have fans that run all the time (noisy). Some have fans
that come on only when the unit gets hot. Some have no fan at all like
the little $13 Vector 70 watt units (which work great for charging
batteries)