Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to turn off flash in EOS 300D digital Rebel

How to turn off flash in EOS 300D digital Rebel

rutman

hi

i just bought this camera off futureshop. I have read the manuals etc
but cannot figure out how to turn off the auto flash!. the manual
mentions that non creative mode, the flash will not flash.. however I
thought it might be possible to simply press on the flash button to
force it off or on..

anyone knows?

thanks,

David J. Littleboy

"rutman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi
>
> i just bought this camera off futureshop. I have read the manuals etc
> but cannot figure out how to turn off the auto flash!. the manual
> mentions that non creative mode, the flash will not flash..

It sounds as though you've misread the manual (which isn't hard to do). It's
the non-creative modes in which the flash automatically pops up. In M, Av,
Tv, and P the flash won't fire unless you ask it to by popping it up
manually.

The general advice is to learn how to use M, Av, Tv, and P modes and to not
use the other modes.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

rutman

can i turn off the flash though?

the flash symbol appears on the lcd display.. I think I have seen it
with the disable symbol before ( a buddy rebels )

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:21:33 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"rutman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> hi
>>
>> i just bought this camera off futureshop. I have read the manuals etc
>> but cannot figure out how to turn off the auto flash!. the manual
>> mentions that non creative mode, the flash will not flash..

>It sounds as though you've misread the manual (which isn't hard to do). It's
>the non-creative modes in which the flash automatically pops up. In M, Av,
>Tv, and P the flash won't fire unless you ask it to by popping it up
>manually.
>
>The general advice is to learn how to use M, Av, Tv, and P modes and to not
>use the other modes.
>
>David J. Littleboy
>Tokyo, Japan

Mark B.

"rutman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> can i turn off the flash though?
>
> the flash symbol appears on the lcd display.. I think I have seen it
> with the disable symbol before ( a buddy rebels )

Not in the automatic 'icon' modes (full auto, portrait, landscape, etc.).
You have absolutely zero control. In the manual modes (M, Av, Tv, P), it
won't fire unless you force it.

Mark

Bruce Uttley

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mark B. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"rutman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> can i turn off the flash though?
>>
>> the flash symbol appears on the lcd display.. I think I have seen it
>> with the disable symbol before ( a buddy rebels )
>>

>Not in the automatic 'icon' modes (full auto, portrait, landscape, etc.).
>You have absolutely zero control. In the manual modes (M, Av, Tv, P), it
>won't fire unless you force it.
>
>Mark

There are seven Full Auto modes on the 300D: full auto, portrait,
landscape, close-up, sports, night portrait and FLASH OFF. Turn
the Mode Dial of the camera clockwise as far as it will go to
disable the flash. In Full Auto, the flash is also disabled in
landscape mode and sports mode.

As mentioned, the Creative Zone of the camera lets you choose.

JohnR66

"rutman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi
>
> i just bought this camera off futureshop. I have read the manuals etc
> but cannot figure out how to turn off the auto flash!. the manual
> mentions that non creative mode, the flash will not flash.. however I
> thought it might be possible to simply press on the flash button to
> force it off or on..
>
> anyone knows?
>
> thanks,

Thry setting it to P mode with the flash down. It won't pop up. Learn about
Tv, Av and the other creative modes. I almost always use Av.
John