Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > OT - Need laptop recommendations

OT - Need laptop recommendations

Gene Palmiter

A friend is selling his business and moving to Thailand for a year before
moving to Spain. He wants my recommendations of a Laptop. Problems I see are
power and DVD compatibility and getting warranty service. Has anyone here
faced these situations and found solutions?

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

paul

Gene Palmiter wrote:

> A friend is selling his business and moving to Thailand for a year before
> moving to Spain. He wants my recommendations of a Laptop. Problems I see are
> power and DVD compatibility and getting warranty service. Has anyone here
> faced these situations and found solutions?

If he's running photoshop, he'll need a fast CPU!!! I got Dell
'workstation class' which does OK. They are supposed to be pretty fast
with mail-in repairs, you might need to pay more for that option. I
couldn't find bigger than an 80GB HD. The card reader for CF that slides
in is not a good option because it slows the system terribly. These are
the issues relevant to digital photography.

Bob Salomon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, paul <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I see are
> > power and DVD compatibility and getting warranty service. Has anyone here
> > faced these situations and found solutions?

Powerbook G4

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

C J Campbell

"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> A friend is selling his business and moving to Thailand for a year before
> moving to Spain. He wants my recommendations of a Laptop. Problems I see

are
> power and DVD compatibility and getting warranty service. Has anyone here
> faced these situations and found solutions?

Dell or something similar. It is next to impossible to get a PowerBooks
serviced in SEA.

Gene Palmiter

> Dell or something similar. It is next to impossible to get a PowerBooks
> serviced in SEA.

I cannot in good conscience recommend a Dell in light of the substancial
financial support they gave to the Nazis currenly in power. I am looking at
the Gateway site. I don't check who gave what but if I know I cannot ignore
it.

Tony Hwang

Gene Palmiter wrote:
> A friend is selling his business and moving to Thailand for a year before
> moving to Spain. He wants my recommendations of a Laptop. Problems I see are
> power and DVD compatibility and getting warranty service. Has anyone here
> faced these situations and found solutions?

Hi,
My daughter has been running around the world every summer carrying old
stand-by IBM Thinkpad T-seires notebook. She even sat on it on few
occasions. It just chugs along. Never gave any trouble.
BTW, she already took off to Thailand.
Tony

> > Dell or something similar. It is next to impossible to get a PowerBooks
> > serviced in SEA.

> I cannot in good conscience recommend a Dell in light of the substancial
> financial support they gave to the Nazis currenly in power. I am looking

at
> the Gateway site. I don't check who gave what but if I know I cannot

ignore
> it.

I know what you mean. I have a tough time finding an outdoor coat made by
somebody other than eco-Nazis or commie gun-banners. All the PC
manufacturers gave money to both sides. They are PC after all.

rafeb

C J Campbell wrote:

> I know what you mean. I have a tough time finding an outdoor coat made by
> somebody other than eco-Nazis or commie gun-banners. All the PC
> manufacturers gave money to both sides. They are PC after all.

We've got <http://www.buyblue.org/>

Gunnuts shop at Walmart, so they're
already doing their part to support
the Right.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Robert Morrisette

"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Dell or something similar. It is next to impossible to get a PowerBooks
> > serviced in SEA.

> I cannot in good conscience recommend a Dell in light of the substancial
> financial support they gave to the Nazis currenly in power. I am looking

at
> the Gateway site. I don't check who gave what but if I know I cannot

ignore
> it.

Nazis in power where? What are you talking about?

I would not recommend Gateway because of their shaky financial situation.

Go with Dell or Toshiba

Sabu

Gene Palmiter

Thanks...I keep forgetting that URL. Dell is 72% red. Gateway is 84% blue.
That's a big difference. Voting with out dollars really matters.

news:4235ae75$0$39327$(E-Mail Removed). com...