Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Waterproof case for Canon S1 IS

Waterproof case for Canon S1 IS

Jeremy S.

Greeting all, I'm new to this newsgroup, so please cut me some slack
if I ask any obvious newbie questions.

I am considering buying a waterproof case for my Canon S1 IS, but
before doing so, I wanted to see if anyone else owned this product,
and had any opinions on it. I'd hate to drop >$160 on a product that
won't hold up to normal conditions such as boating, and fishing. My
main concern is how well the gaskets will hold up due to normal use
over a period of time, lets say a few months, and how sturdy the
plastic case is constructed.

My one other concern is how the case will affect image quality.

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies!

Jeremy

Steve

Jeremy S. wrote:

> I am considering buying a waterproof case for my Canon S1 IS, but
> before doing so, I wanted to see if anyone else owned this product,
> and had any opinions on it. I'd hate to drop >$160 on a product that
> won't hold up to normal conditions such as boating, and fishing.

Unless you want to use it underwater, why would you spend $160 for an UW housing for
a $350 camera? If you're going to run around with it near the water just be careful
when you're actually taking pictures and keep it in a $30 pelican box when you really
need to protect it. If you do manage to throw it in the water you'll already have
half the cost of a replacement, and unless you ruin it when it's brand new the
replacement will be a newer, better camera. When you decide to upgrade sometime in
the future the pelican box will fit your new camera, whereas the housing will be an
expensive paperweight. If you're really that worried about using it near water look
into one of Ewa Marine's glorified ziploc bags that are a fraction of the cost of a
rigid housing.

--
Steve

belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.