Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > "Cleaning" and "servicing" a new camera?

"Cleaning" and "servicing" a new camera?

sfrost2@nycap.rr.com

I just bought my first digital camera, a Nikon Coolpix 4600. The
salesman at Best Buy encouraged me to buy a 4 year service agreement
(about $50) because it includes free regular cleanings and adjustments
that he says are very important. There are lenses and alignments that
should be serviced regularly, he said. One cleaning ($40) almost pays
for it. Anyway, do these cameras benefit from regular "cleaning" and
"servicing"? He said most people never service their cameras and they
often live to regret it. Any thoughts?

MIFrost

bob

> I just bought my first digital camera, a Nikon Coolpix 4600. The
> salesman at Best Buy encouraged me to buy a 4 year service agreement
> (about $50) because it includes free regular cleanings and adjustments
> that he says are very important. There are lenses and alignments that
> should be serviced regularly, he said. One cleaning ($40) almost pays
> for it. Anyway, do these cameras benefit from regular "cleaning" and
> "servicing"? He said most people never service their cameras and they
> often live to regret it. Any thoughts?

The instruction manual for my Coolpix 5000 doesn't say anything about
cleaning or adjustment.

Other than cleaning the front of the lens, that is.

Bob

Charlie Self

sfro asks:
>>ust bought my first digital camera, a Nikon Coolpix 4600. The

salesman at Best Buy encouraged me to buy a 4 year service agreement
(about $50) because it includes free regular cleanings and adjustments
that he says are very important. There are lenses and alignments that
should be serviced regularly, he said. One cleaning ($40) almost pays
for it. Anyway, do these cameras benefit from regular "cleaning" and
"servicing"? He said most people never service their cameras and they
often live to regret it.<<

Twaddle. Typical salesman's bullshit. What lens service are you going
to get on a CP 4600, fer pete's sake? Cleaning? Get a microfiber cloth
for about 3 bucks. Use canned air to blow out the card slot every so
often. That's it. If they're charging 40 bucks for cleaning, they are
screwing you out of $30. If they charged you 50 bucks for the
agreement, they screwed you out of 50 bucks.

sfrost2@nycap.rr.com

Charlie Self wrote:

> Twaddle. Typical salesman's bullshit. What lens service are you going
> to get on a CP 4600, fer pete's sake? Cleaning? Get a microfiber

cloth
> for about 3 bucks. Use canned air to blow out the card slot every so
> often. That's it. If they're charging 40 bucks for cleaning, they are
> screwing you out of $30. If they charged you 50 bucks for the
> agreement, they screwed you out of 50 bucks.

I suspected as much. It's refundable so there's no real loss. I can get
my money back. Thanks.

MIFrost

Bob(but not that Bob)

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I just bought my first digital camera, a Nikon Coolpix 4600. The
> salesman at Best Buy encouraged me to buy a 4 year service agreement
> (about $50) because it includes free regular cleanings and adjustments
> that he says are very important. There are lenses and alignments that
> should be serviced regularly, he said. One cleaning ($40) almost pays
> for it. Anyway, do these cameras benefit from regular "cleaning" and
> "servicing"? He said most people never service their cameras and they
> often live to regret it. Any thoughts?
>
> MIFrost

He's half right - "most people never service their cameras" - but the
rest is bullshit.

They may have a decent sale price on items like cameras, but never buy
any accessory or add-on of any kind at BB - no cables, memory cards,
readers, batteries, cleaning kits, etc. They nail you on the high-markup
extras.

clutch@lycos.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I just bought my first digital camera, a Nikon Coolpix 4600. The
>salesman at Best Buy encouraged me to buy a 4 year service agreement
>(about $50) because it includes free regular cleanings and adjustments
>that he says are very important. There are lenses and alignments that
>should be serviced regularly, he said. One cleaning ($40) almost pays
>for it. Anyway, do these cameras benefit from regular "cleaning" and
>"servicing"? He said most people never service their cameras and they
>often live to regret it. Any thoughts?
>
>MIFrost

www.bestbuysux.org

You have just been scammed if you bought it (service plan).

Wes