Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak DX7590 - high speed SD card?

Reply
Thread Tools

Kodak DX7590 - high speed SD card?

 
 
Sarah
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2005
Hello all,

We are considering purchase of the Kodak DX7590 and have a couple of
questions. First, does this camera accept high speed sd cards (i.e.
sandisk ultra II?) If it accepts these cards, does the speed make a
difference, particular in burst mode?

Secondly, do high speed sd cards require a special high speed reader? Or
will my regular old 2.0 usb sd reader be sufficient?

Thank you for your help,
Sarah


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2005
Sarah wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We are considering purchase of the Kodak DX7590 and have a couple of
> questions. First, does this camera accept high speed sd cards (i.e.
> sandisk ultra II?) If it accepts these cards, does the speed make a
> difference, particular in burst mode?
>
> Secondly, do high speed sd cards require a special high speed reader? Or
> will my regular old 2.0 usb sd reader be sufficient?
>
> Thank you for your help,
> Sarah
>
>

Perhaps Ron Baird will respond concerning the transfer rates of the
DX7590. Unfortunately, camera companies don't seem to publish these
figures. As for burst mode, the data isn't written to the card until
AFTER the burst. Then it takes a while. The USB 2.0 card reader (if
plugged into a USB 2.0 'hi-speed interface') will transfer far faster
than any flash card can run.

Even if you don't get any speed increase on 'in-camera' functions, the
faster card will load your pictures onto the computer a lot faster.


--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sarah
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-12-2005
Thanks, Ron, for your response.

So a high speed card is compatible with the DX7590? and with my ordinary
card reader? In other words, I don't have to have a "special high speed"
card reader in order to read the high speed card?
Thanks,
Sarah

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cDiYd.17588$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sarah wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> We are considering purchase of the Kodak DX7590 and have a couple of
>> questions. First, does this camera accept high speed sd cards (i.e.
>> sandisk ultra II?) If it accepts these cards, does the speed make a
>> difference, particular in burst mode?
>>
>> Secondly, do high speed sd cards require a special high speed reader?
>> Or will my regular old 2.0 usb sd reader be sufficient?
>>
>> Thank you for your help,
>> Sarah

> Perhaps Ron Baird will respond concerning the transfer rates of the
> DX7590. Unfortunately, camera companies don't seem to publish these
> figures. As for burst mode, the data isn't written to the card until
> AFTER the burst. Then it takes a while. The USB 2.0 card reader (if
> plugged into a USB 2.0 'hi-speed interface') will transfer far faster than
> any flash card can run.
>
> Even if you don't get any speed increase on 'in-camera' functions, the
> faster card will load your pictures onto the computer a lot faster.
>
>
> --
> Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-12-2005
Sarah wrote:
> Thanks, Ron, for your response.
>
> So a high speed card is compatible with the DX7590? and with my ordinary
> card reader? In other words, I don't have to have a "special high speed"
> card reader in order to read the high speed card?
> Thanks,
> Sarah
>


Nope. The one you have will work, if it has a slot for SD/MMC cards.
If you get the DX7590 with a 'dock', then you will probably only use a
card reader when you have a lot of pictures to transfer.


--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Baird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-14-2005
Greetings Sarah,

Glad to hear you are considering a Kodak Camera.

Actually, the speed of the card will not matter to the camera as it works at
one speed. A high speed card may be of value, however, if you are using
other devices that accept fast cards. You can make your buying decision
based on that information. As to card readers, I suppose the faster the
better. Although a card reader works on a USB 2.0 port, if you want to take
full advantage of high speed cards you will need a high speed card reader.
Most newer card readers are compatible with USB 2.0 but you will not get the
full advantage unless they are USB HiSpeed. Check this out when you look
for one.

Talk to you soon, and if you have questions about the DX7590 or any other
digital issue I am glad to help.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company




"Sarah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EZhYd.55354$r55.50092@attbi_s52...
> Hello all,
>
> We are considering purchase of the Kodak DX7590 and have a couple of
> questions. First, does this camera accept high speed sd cards (i.e.
> sandisk ultra II?) If it accepts these cards, does the speed make a
> difference, particular in burst mode?
>
> Secondly, do high speed sd cards require a special high speed reader? Or
> will my regular old 2.0 usb sd reader be sufficient?
>
> Thank you for your help,
> Sarah
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1 Month Old Kodak DX7590 for sale 5megapixal 10x zoom Himm Digital Photography 3 11-14-2004 09:28 PM
Kodak DX7590 EVF problem? DonR Digital Photography 1 11-05-2004 02:40 PM
Kodak DX7590 J C P Digital Photography 5 10-20-2004 05:49 PM
Kodak DX7590? Scrumhalf Digital Photography 7 07-07-2004 06:37 PM
USB High Speed against USB Non High Speed DannyD1355 Computer Support 1 09-07-2003 02:59 AM



Advertisments