Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > UV filter/protector glass, circular polarizer, etc.

UV filter/protector glass, circular polarizer, etc.

Patrick Boch

You also should always remember.....Direct sunlight can most
certainly...damage a sensor!
"Destin_FL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hey all,
> OK, I ordered the D70, supposed to be here Monday. I spent 4 days buried
> in
> research torn between the new Rebel and the D70; ended up with D70. Wish
> the
> new Rebel was already in stores to touch it, but couldn't wait.
>
> Anyway, here's the question: What do you all, who are vastly more
> knowledgeable
> and experienced than myself think about having one of the UV filters on
> the
> front of the lens, and just leaving it on there. I have always had one on
> all
> of my cameras, including my C8080 now. I figure much cheaper to replace
> that
> than lens repair or replacement...
> But in the case of the D70 and its leap in performance, do the filters
> have a
> downside? ALSO does the quality of that little piece of glass matter
> much?
>
> Secondly, do you guys/gals have an opinion about using circular
> polarizers? Do
> they work? Does the quality there matter a whole lot?
>
> Thanks a ton!
>
> Tim

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Destin_FL <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Aggghhhhhhh.... I checked FEDEX tracking a second ago..... wasn't scheduled for
> delivery until Monday; it's already on the truck for delivery today!!!!!!
> YIPPEEE!!!!!

FedEx has a way of delivering early when a plane just happens to be
going your way with space on it I love FedEx!

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Spammers please contact me at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed).

Ken Tough

Joseph Meehan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Secondly, do you guys/gals have an opinion about using circular
>> polarizers? Do they work? Does the quality there matter a whole lot?

> I guess I should ask what do you mean by "work" They filter out light
>based on the angle and the polarization of the light. You adjust the filter
>for the direction you want. They can often (but not always) reduce
>reflections and darken parts of the sky.

They also make for about a stop less light, which you might find
annoying on the 18-70 lens if you're already down to f4.5. Then
again, it'll generally be most useful under bright conditions, so that
effect can also help as a "neutral density" to bring down exposure.

--
Ken Tough

Ken Tough

Owamanga <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mode to RAW+B.
>
>Start shooting.

You'll need to install the Nikon software (or Photoshop) to use the
RAW though. I do agree, it makes a hell of a lot of difference.

I find it's not just the technical image quality that's better, but
given the nature of digital there are that many more variables you
have to adjust to the scene. I am used to just shooting "A" mode
on colour film, and thinking DOF with my eye on the shutter speed
depending on the shot I want to compose. Now, with JPG, I also have
to think about contrast enhancement +/-, saturation, white balance,
highlights/EV, ISO [a bonus, though it's easy to forget you've
boosted it], and even compression quality. Which doesn't leave a
lot of time to think about image composition.

By switching to RAW, you can at least forget the white balance,
contrast & saturation, and just concentrate on composition and
exposure, and leave the adjustments for later when you aren't in
danger of actually missing the shot.

--
Ken Tough

Ken Tough

Owamanga <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sod's law also dictates that some kind of amazing photo opportunity
>will arise during this weekend, because sods law is like that and is
>all powerful.

Though Dos's law says that if you had received it on the weekend,
you would have spilled coffee on it an hour after receiving it,
and having not received it you won't ever realise how lucky you were.

--
Ken Tough