Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Mirror lockup - WTF?

Reply
Thread Tools

Mirror lockup - WTF?

 
 
JohnJ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-10-2005
> And how many other people do you think never use it at all? Different
> people, different needs.


Yes, "Different people, different needs", but I think you'll find that most
pro's shooting a stationary subject would use mirror lockup to ensure the
sharpest possible image. Eg, architecture, interiors, still life, macro,
food, cars.
JJ.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-10-2005
JohnJ wrote:
>>And how many other people do you think never use it at all? Different
>>people, different needs.

>
>
> Yes, "Different people, different needs", but I think you'll find that most
> pro's shooting a stationary subject would use mirror lockup to ensure the
> sharpest possible image. Eg, architecture, interiors, still life, macro,
> food, cars.
> JJ.
>
>

Very likely. Of course I rather suspect that pros make up a very small
percentage of camera purchasers, even if limited to dSLRs. This is
something a rather specialized type of photography benefits from, and
then ONLY for user of (d)SLR users. P&S cameras don't have the problem.
Grin.


--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-10-2005
Steven M. Scharf wrote:
> "Randy Berbaum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d0orgf$ouc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
>>But as I said these situations that require a mirror lock up are rare and
>>many people do not have a use for the function. If you don't need it,
>>don't use it.

>
>
> Not as rare as you imply.
>
> Beware of advice that goes something like this, "you don't need feature XYZ
> because I never use it." The amateur may not even know what the feature is
> at the time of purchase, but may regret not having it as they become more
> experienced.
>
>

Beware of advice like "You need it because I use it all the time." Now
if you shoot sports, and I shoot landscapes, we are probably not going
to need the same set of features. I am pretty sure that if my main use
for the camera is shooting landscapes, I really won't benefit by a
superfast shutter speed, or a f1.8 lens (unless I want to shoot at night).

Different strokes for different folks. It IS nice, however, to be aware
of the technical aspects of features you don't presently need.


--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Dyer-Bennet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-10-2005
Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>> "JohnJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>>>But as I said these situations that require a mirror lock up are rare and
>>>>many people do not have a use for the function.
>>>
>>>Rare, I use it for approx half of my work every day...

>> Okay, but I'll be you're not doing racetracks, wedding candids,
>> sports
>> photography, or any of a number of other areas. I've never owned a
>> camera that supported it, until I picked up an old
>> Nikon F for nostaligic reasons a few years back. Though I've had
>> cameras with a fixed mirror (TLR) or no mirror (4x5). I *wish* I'd
>> had it at various times.

>
> There is, of course, the other option. NO mirror, no shake. Grin.


Ah, that was my Leica M3, which was really nice to use. When all my
photo gear was stolen (out of my house; I've never had photo gear
stolen in the field) I chose to replace the SLR side first in the
hopes that the newer quieter SLRs with brighter finders might be good
enough to let me get by with just the SLR. And the Nikon FM I bought
was, in fact, good enough that I never got around to replacing the
Leica. I still miss it, though. The SLRs are better than they were
for low-light work, but they're still not as good as the Leica.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <(E-Mail Removed)>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com/> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/> <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>
Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pete D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2005

"Steven M. Scharf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6o%Xd.358$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
>> "Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:yGTXd.191705$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Also swings up after you press the shutter release and then has a delay
>> > before the shutter releases, it reduces vibrations and is good when

> taking
>> > shots in low light. Scumbag cameras like the Nikon D70 and the Canon

> 300D
>> > do not have it.

>
> "Marli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Scumbag cameras??? Are they like Scumbag people who are ignorant, and try

> to
>> puff them selves up to try to be somebody??

>
> Didn't you see his ? Sarcasm doesn't work on Usenet.
>
> Anyway, there is a firmware hack for the Canon EOS-300D that adds mirror
> lock-up, see: http://satinfo.narod.ru/en/index.html. Canon included it as
> standard on the EOS-350D, so you can be sure that Nikon will include it on
> the successor to the D70, which is rumored to be released very soon.
>
> It's an extremely useful feature that should not be compromised on. There
> are a lot of features that the amateur may not understand at the time of
> purchase, that he or she will greatly regret not having in the future.
>
> The table on http://digitalslrinfo.com/ includes the presence of absence
> of
> mirror lock-up. Very few cameras don't have it, since it needs to be there
> for sensor cleaning anyway. It's usually just a firmware issue.
>
> Digital SLRs without Mirror Lock-Up
> --------------------------------------
> Canon EOS-300D (use hack)
> Nikon D70
> Fuji S2 Pro
> Olympus Evolt E300
>
>
> Steve
> http://digitalslrinfo.com/
> The Official Digital SLR Information Site of the Internet (TM)*
>
> * This is a parody on Pentax


See Steve someone does understand a joke when made, haha.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Pete D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2005

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f9%Xd.45023$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Marli wrote:
>> Scumbag cameras??? Are they like Scumbag people who are ignorant, and try
>> to puff them selves up to try to be somebody??
>>
>>
>>

>
> Some people lack self-confidence to the point that the only way they can
> compensate is to say derogative things to, or about, others, or their
> choices. It's sad.
>
>
> --
> Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)


This skin or what, this is Usenet guys, get up with the emoticons. ;-P
(Sorry if you have a D70 or 300D)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Pete D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2005

"werdan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3OTXd.191711$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:yGTXd.191705$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Also swings up after you press the shutter release and then has a delay
>> before the shutter releases, it reduces vibrations and is good when
>> taking shots in low light. Scumbag cameras like the Nikon D70 and the
>> Canon 300D do not have it.
>>
>>

>
> Actually, that's what mine does on the 2sec timer, now that you've
> mentioned it. lol.


Geez mate ya spend all that dough and then didn't read the manual, I know I
have one around here somewhere.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Pete D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2005

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xb%Xd.45026$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pete D wrote:
>> "JohnJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:422ff324$0$22219$(E-Mail Removed) u...
>>
>>>>But as I said these situations that require a mirror lock up are rare
>>>>and
>>>>many people do not have a use for the function.
>>>
>>>Rare, I use it for approx half of my work every day...
>>>JJ

>>
>>
>> I bet his camera does not have therefore he doesn't need it (D70 or 300D
>> perhaps, LOL).

> Someone should go out and pay extra money for a feature they don't need
> just to appease your opinion? Perhaps you would be willing to subsidize
> my next camera purchase so I can get a few extra features I really don't
> need...
>
>
> --
> Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)


But Steve said it was bad if your camera doesn't have it so it must be
important!


 
Reply With Quote
 
werdan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2005

"Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QgaYd.192809$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Geez mate ya spend all that dough and then didn't read the manual, I know
> I have one around here somewhere.
>


There's a manual?




 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2005
Pete D wrote:
> "werdan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3OTXd.191711$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:yGTXd.191705$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Also swings up after you press the shutter release and then has a delay
>>>before the shutter releases, it reduces vibrations and is good when
>>>taking shots in low light. Scumbag cameras like the Nikon D70 and the
>>>Canon 300D do not have it.
>>>
>>>

>>
>>Actually, that's what mine does on the 2sec timer, now that you've
>>mentioned it. lol.

>
>
> Geez mate ya spend all that dough and then didn't read the manual, I know I
> have one around here somewhere.
>
>

That's why most camera companies make them available online... Just in
case you want to read it, as a last resort, of course....


--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mirror lockup patrick robertson Digital Photography 17 02-23-2005 08:50 PM
Mirror Lockup and sharpness test with Canon 300D Siddhartha Jain Digital Photography 23 12-23-2004 04:28 AM
mirror lockup on 300D andre Digital Photography 2 10-19-2004 02:42 PM
Can D70 mirror lockup be achieved via firmware upgrade? Ben Clark Digital Photography 8 02-22-2004 11:06 PM
Digital Rebel - No mirror lockup Alan Digital Photography 36 01-19-2004 02:30 AM



Advertisments