Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Mirror lockup - WTF?

Mirror lockup - WTF?

BG250

Another purpose for MLU, back in the olden days of film, was some very short
focal length lenses had the rear lens elements projecting into the mirror
box and into the path of the swinging mirror. The mirror could be *locked
up* before attaching the lens. I think it was some fisheye lenses for Nikon.
I couldn't use them on my FM2n because it didn't do MLU. Don't know about
other systems.
John

"Derek Fountain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:422fedb5$0$22830$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is mirror lockup and why would I want it?
>
> --
> The email address used to post is a spam pit. Contact me at
> http://www.derekfountain.org : <a
> href="http://www.derekfountain.org/">Derek Fountain</a>

Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

Derek Fountain wrote:

> What is mirror lockup and why would I want it?

In camera with a large moving mirror, such as an SLR, the mirror slams
out of the exposure path when the shutter button is tripped. This
causes some shake in camera. Shake produces a form of motion blur that
degrades resolution. If you want the absolute highest resolution, then
raise (lock up) the mirror before exposure. This mainly refers to using
a tripod. I suspect normal hand motion would mask the vibration from
the mirror motion if you are not using a tripod. But with tripod work
with an SLR, using the mirror lockup feature is quite common.

David Dyer-Bennet

"JohnJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>> But as I said these situations that require a mirror lock up are rare and
>> many people do not have a use for the function.

> Rare, I use it for approx half of my work every day...

Okay, but I'll be you're not doing racetracks, wedding candids, sports
photography, or any of a number of other areas.

I've never owned a camera that supported it, until I picked up an old
Nikon F for nostaligic reasons a few years back. Though I've had
cameras with a fixed mirror (TLR) or no mirror (4x5). I *wish* I'd
had it at various times.

Ron Hunter

Marli wrote:
> Scumbag cameras??? Are they like Scumbag people who are ignorant, and try to
> puff them selves up to try to be somebody??

Some people lack self-confidence to the point that the only way they can
compensate is to say derogative things to, or about, others, or their
choices. It's sad.

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Ron Hunter

Randy Berbaum wrote:
> Derek Fountain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : What is mirror lockup and why would I want it?
>
> Two uses. First locking the mirror up gives access to the shutter and
> sensor area for cleaning. Second in some situations the vibration imparted
> by the physical movement of the mirror at shutter release can cause
> blurring (extreme closeup, etc.). In a situation like this you would set
> the camera, focus and such and then lock the mirror up before snapping the
> photo.
>
> But as I said these situations that require a mirror lock up are rare and
> many people do not have a use for the function. If you don't need it,
> don't use it.
>
> Randy
>
> ==========
> Randy Berbaum
> Champaign, IL

And if you are pretty sure you will not need it, don't pay extra money
to get a camera with the feature.

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Ron Hunter

JohnJ wrote:
>>But as I said these situations that require a mirror lock up are rare and
>>many people do not have a use for the function.

> Rare, I use it for approx half of my work every day...
> JJ

And how many other people do you think never use it at all? Different
people, different needs.

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Ron Hunter

Pete D wrote:
> "JohnJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:422ff324$0$22219$(E-Mail Removed) u...
>
>>>But as I said these situations that require a mirror lock up are rare and
>>>many people do not have a use for the function.

>>Rare, I use it for approx half of my work every day...
>>JJ

> I bet his camera does not have therefore he doesn't need it (D70 or 300D
> perhaps, LOL).

Someone should go out and pay extra money for a feature they don't need
just to appease your opinion? Perhaps you would be willing to subsidize
my next camera purchase so I can get a few extra features I really don't
need...

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Ron Hunter

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> "JohnJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>>>But as I said these situations that require a mirror lock up are rare and
>>>many people do not have a use for the function.

>>Rare, I use it for approx half of my work every day...

> Okay, but I'll be you're not doing racetracks, wedding candids, sports
> photography, or any of a number of other areas.
>
> I've never owned a camera that supported it, until I picked up an old
> Nikon F for nostaligic reasons a few years back. Though I've had
> cameras with a fixed mirror (TLR) or no mirror (4x5). I *wish* I'd
> had it at various times.

There is, of course, the other option. NO mirror, no shake. Grin.

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Steven M. Scharf

> "Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:yGTXd.191705$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Also swings up after you press the shutter release and then has a delay
> > before the shutter releases, it reduces vibrations and is good when

taking
> > shots in low light. Scumbag cameras like the Nikon D70 and the Canon

300D

"Marli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Scumbag cameras??? Are they like Scumbag people who are ignorant, and try

> puff them selves up to try to be somebody??

Didn't you see his ? Sarcasm doesn't work on Usenet.

Anyway, there is a firmware hack for the Canon EOS-300D that adds mirror
lock-up, see: http://satinfo.narod.ru/en/index.html. Canon included it as
standard on the EOS-350D, so you can be sure that Nikon will include it on
the successor to the D70, which is rumored to be released very soon.

It's an extremely useful feature that should not be compromised on. There
are a lot of features that the amateur may not understand at the time of
purchase, that he or she will greatly regret not having in the future.

The table on http://digitalslrinfo.com/ includes the presence of absence of
mirror lock-up. Very few cameras don't have it, since it needs to be there
for sensor cleaning anyway. It's usually just a firmware issue.

Digital SLRs without Mirror Lock-Up
--------------------------------------
Canon EOS-300D (use hack)
Nikon D70
Fuji S2 Pro
Olympus Evolt E300

Steve
http://digitalslrinfo.com/
The Official Digital SLR Information Site of the Internet (TM)*

* This is a parody on Pentax

Steven M. Scharf

"Randy Berbaum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d0orgf$ouc$(E-Mail Removed)...

> But as I said these situations that require a mirror lock up are rare and
> many people do not have a use for the function. If you don't need it,
> don't use it.

Not as rare as you imply.

Beware of advice that goes something like this, "you don't need feature XYZ
because I never use it." The amateur may not even know what the feature is
at the time of purchase, but may regret not having it as they become more
experienced.