Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 50mm lens still valuable on DSLRs?

50mm lens still valuable on DSLRs?

Roger

Wonders never cease.... and in US dollars also.

My timing is really bad or I'm sitting on a gold mine of 50s.

Regards,
Roger

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 21:51:49 -0500, "larrylook" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Krystian Polak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:d0o7hs$o78$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I'm thinking of picking up a nikon 50mm f1.8 ($99 new). Thanks for you
>> > opinions.

>> I have got this lens with D70. Beautyfull and very usefull. My other lens

>is
>> 24/2.8 and that is all. I dont need anything else foe general photography.

>Does anyone know why these lens sell on Ebay for $182, when you can get them
>new for under $100 easily? Am I missing something?
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ADME:B:WN:US:1

Sheldon

"hotchkisstrio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d0o13l$csi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just inquiring for thoughts and opinions on this. Whether its Canon or
> Nikon or whatever seems 50mm lense with great f-stops (usually f1. are
> cheap and sharp. But are they still valuable on DSLRs? Concerns being
> crop
> factors (1.5X or 1.6X) and also the convenience and advancement of zooms.
> I've also heard it said (although I don't necessarily agree) that since
> DSLRs perform fairly well at ISO 1600 the f-stop of your lens is aomewhat
> less important than on a 35mm SLR. It seems to me these lenses are still
> great value and very usable, although I might need to take a few MORE
> steps
> back to get a wide shot. But there's no other lens where you can get f1.8
> for that cheap!
>
> I'm thinking of picking up a nikon 50mm f1.8 ($99 new). Thanks for you
> opinions.

Funny, when I first got my old Nikon F I sold my 50 1.4 to get an 85 1.8.
Now that I'm working with a dslr that crops the image, I'd love to have that
50 back. It's just nice to have a lens with a very wide aperture, and a
"75mm" lens (even though it's just cropped to 75) makes a great normal lens.
I got a lot of use out of my 85 and still do. Very nice portrait lens. I
also have an older 55mm macro which is outstanding. Just doesn't have a
very wide aperture, but in macro photography you usually want more depth of
field.

GTO

If you have a Nikon, I can only recommend you to purchase the 50mm f1.8-D.
It's one of Nikon's best lenses with regard to resolution (lpi). For US$99,
it's a steal!

Gregor

"hotchkisstrio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d0o13l$csi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just inquiring for thoughts and opinions on this. Whether its Canon or
> Nikon or whatever seems 50mm lense with great f-stops (usually f1. are
> cheap and sharp. But are they still valuable on DSLRs? Concerns being
> crop
> factors (1.5X or 1.6X) and also the convenience and advancement of zooms.
> I've also heard it said (although I don't necessarily agree) that since
> DSLRs perform fairly well at ISO 1600 the f-stop of your lens is aomewhat
> less important than on a 35mm SLR. It seems to me these lenses are still
> great value and very usable, although I might need to take a few MORE
> steps
> back to get a wide shot. But there's no other lens where you can get f1.8
> for that cheap!
>
> I'm thinking of picking up a nikon 50mm f1.8 ($99 new). Thanks for you
> opinions.

Steve Gavette

"larrylook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Krystian Polak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d0o7hs$o78$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I'm thinking of picking up a nikon 50mm f1.8 ($99 new). Thanks for

you
> > > opinions.

> > I have got this lens with D70. Beautyfull and very usefull. My other

lens
> is
> > 24/2.8 and that is all. I dont need anything else foe general

photography.

> Does anyone know why these lens sell on Ebay for $182, when you can get

them
> new for under $100 easily? Am I missing something?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ADME:B:WN:US:1

No idea. I was recently looking for an 80-200 on EBay, and they were
consistently selling for $700 or more for 5 year old lenses. You can get one
brand new for $799 (with rebate). I gave up and bought a new one.

My opinion on the 50MM 1.8 nikon is same as the others, GREAT lens. I use it
whenever I can.

Musty

"hotchkisstrio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d0o13l$csi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just inquiring for thoughts and opinions on this. Whether its Canon or
> Nikon or whatever seems 50mm lense with great f-stops (usually f1. are
> cheap and sharp. But are they still valuable on DSLRs? Concerns being

crop
> factors (1.5X or 1.6X) and also the convenience and advancement of zooms.
> I've also heard it said (although I don't necessarily agree) that since
> DSLRs perform fairly well at ISO 1600 the f-stop of your lens is aomewhat
> less important than on a 35mm SLR. It seems to me these lenses are still

> great value and very usable, although I might need to take a few MORE

steps
> back to get a wide shot. But there's no other lens where you can get f1.8
> for that cheap!
>
> I'm thinking of picking up a nikon 50mm f1.8 ($99 new). Thanks for you
> opinions.

Just wait a little while. Sigma announced a 30mm f1.4 prime. This will have
the same view as the 50mm versions on a 35mm SLR. This will be the one to
get:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...00&navigator=6

cal

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:33:15 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Canon's an easier call (for those of us who want an excuse to justify the
>expense of the faster lens): the more expensive lens is faster and sharper
>and has better bokeh.

Where might I fond the definiton of "bokeh"?
I am not familiar with the term.

cal

David J. Littleboy

"cal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Canon's an easier call (for those of us who want an excuse to justify the
> >expense of the faster lens): the more expensive lens is faster and

sharper
> >and has better bokeh.

> Where might I fond the definiton of "bokeh"?
> I am not familiar with the term.

Well, if you have an internet connection, the first thing to try is
www.google.com

(I hope that doesn't sound too grumpy: there's a lot of good stuff out there
on bokeh.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

John A. Stovall

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:53:36 -0500, cal <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:33:15 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Canon's an easier call (for those of us who want an excuse to justify the
>>expense of the faster lens): the more expensive lens is faster and sharper
>>and has better bokeh.

>Where might I fond the definiton of "bokeh"?
>I am not familiar with the term.

Good explanation here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/bokeh.shtml

"Vietnam is what we had instead of happy childhoods."

Tim Page in
"Dispatches"
by Michael Herr

Roger

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 06:08:54 GMT, "Musty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just wait a little while. Sigma announced a 30mm f1.4 prime. This will have
>the same view as the 50mm versions on a 35mm SLR. This will be the one to
>get:
>
>http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...00&navigator=6

Sigma's website doesn't explicitly mention if these lenses in Nikon
mounts are compatible with the 3D matrix and color-matrix metering
functions in the newer Nikon AF cameras (film and digital). It does
state that they are metering compatible, but not specific if that
covers all metering modes.

Is there a way to determine this compatibility?

Regards,
Roger

larrylook

Musty wrote:
> "hotchkisstrio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d0o13l$csi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just inquiring for thoughts and opinions on this. Whether its

Canon or
> > Nikon or whatever seems 50mm lense with great f-stops (usually

f1. are
> > cheap and sharp. But are they still valuable on DSLRs? Concerns

being
> crop
> > factors (1.5X or 1.6X) and also the convenience and advancement of

zooms.
> > I've also heard it said (although I don't necessarily agree) that

since
> > DSLRs perform fairly well at ISO 1600 the f-stop of your lens is

aomewhat
> > less important than on a 35mm SLR. It seems to me these lenses are

still
> > great value and very usable, although I might need to take a few

MORE
> steps
> > back to get a wide shot. But there's no other lens where you can

get f1.8
> > for that cheap!
> >
> > I'm thinking of picking up a nikon 50mm f1.8 ($99 new). Thanks for

you
> > opinions.
> >

> Just wait a little while. Sigma announced a 30mm f1.4 prime. This

will have
> the same view as the 50mm versions on a 35mm SLR. This will be the

one to
> get:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...00&navigator=6

Any special reason to believe this will be a great lens? Any idea on
price or when it will be available? Have you seen any reviews? I just
bought nikon 50mm 1.8 which arrived yesterday, but maybe I'll get this
too? Will focal length be too short for portraits?