Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > photo management software for Macs (OS X)

photo management software for Macs (OS X)

Paul Mitchum

JC Dill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What programs are Mac OS X users using for managing their photos?
>
> A friend was using iPhoto, and he cropped an image (intending to zoom) and
> when he moved on to the next image in the directory iPhoto automatically
> overwrote the original! Fortunately this wasn't an important image (a
> test shot in a series to determine how noisy his camera is when shooting
> long exposures in low light, a test he's going to repeat anyway), but IMHO
> this is NOT desired behavior for serious image management software.

iPhoto doesn't do that. It holds the original in a separate folder.
That's how it reverts back to the original. In fact, for every photo you
even look at in the edit window, there are two copies of the file on
your hard drive.

> He also has C1-Pro and has given it a brief look. The "session"
> concept is a bit confusing and I'm not sure that this is ideal for his
> needs.
>
> What other software programs do Mac users suggest he should consider?

iView Media or iView Media Pro. The pro version lets you manage EXIF and
IPTC, among other things.

GraphicConverter deserves mention, too.

There are also a few bare-bones shareware/freeware image browsers out
there, such as uAlbum. Search on versiontracker.com.

M-M

> > What other software programs do Mac users suggest he should consider?

I use Graphic Converter for slideshows and Photoshop Elements for
editing. To organize I have 2 folders on my desktop: "Photos" and
"Sorted Photos."

I d/l from the camera to the empty "Photos" folder, then make an
appropriately titled subfolder describing the contents and move it to
the "Sorted Photos" folder.

That's all the organizing I need. Easy to look up. When the "Sorted"
folder gets over 650MB, I burn it to CD and catalog the contents.

m-m

JC Dill

Paul Mitchum wrote:

>iPhoto doesn't do that. It holds the original in a separate folder.
>That's how it reverts back to the original. In fact, for every photo

you
>even look at in the edit window, there are two copies of the file on
>your hard drive.

That's not a desirable feature, it just eats up disk space for no good
purpose and makes it harder to find "the image" you were viewing in
iPhoto when using another program.

>> What other software programs do Mac users suggest he should

consider?

>iView Media or iView Media Pro. The pro version lets you manage
>EXIF and IPTC, among other things.

Can you elaborate on how iView Media Pro manages EXIF and IPTC? Does
it utilize these to store keywords and captions etc in the image file
itself so that the data is there to be used by other programs (for
instance when making slideshows or webpages)?

Thanks!

jc

Paul Mitchum

JC Dill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Paul Mitchum wrote:
>
> >iPhoto doesn't do that. It holds the original in a separate folder.
> >That's how it reverts back to the original. In fact, for every photo
> >you even look at in the edit window, there are two copies of the file on
> >your hard drive.

> That's not a desirable feature, it just eats up disk space for no good
> purpose and makes it harder to find "the image" you were viewing in iPhoto
> when using another program.

The reason for it is that iPhoto keeps a backup of the original file
that came from the camera. This way you can revert the file back to the
untouched original, if you want to.

There are a few utilities out there to cull the unused files and recover
disk space, if you know you're not going to need them.

As far as finding 'the image,' that's pretty easy. You just tell iPhoto
to show it to you in the Finder.

> >> What other software programs do Mac users suggest he should consider?

> >iView Media or iView Media Pro. The pro version lets you manage EXIF and
> >IPTC, among other things.

> Can you elaborate on how iView Media Pro manages EXIF and IPTC? Does it
> utilize these to store keywords and captions etc in the image file itself
> so that the data is there to be used by other programs (for instance when
> making slideshows or webpages)?

Media Pro uses the metahor of catalogues. So you add media files to
catalogues, and the catalogue itself is a database of all the metadata
about the files in it. The media files themselves stay on your hard
drive, and don't end up in the database; Media Pro just deals with the
metadata.

So you can enter EXIF and IPTC data into the database, and search and
sort on it. You can also optionally embed the metadata into the files
themselves as a separate step.

There's a free trial version you might consider looking at.