Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > PBase and Flickr

PBase and Flickr

Minou

I noticed that many people on this NG use PBase to share photos. Flickr
seems to have similar capabilities but there's no charge because of the
Google ads - I guess. I didn't find the ads annoying.

I'm looking for a good photo sharing site that offers privacy and is simple
to use. What might you recommend?

Thanks.

Phil Stripling

Minou <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I'm looking for a good photo sharing site that offers privacy and is simple
> to use. What might you recommend?

This is a frequenly asked question, and it turns out there are dozens of
likely sites. You'll get tons of suggestions. Let me suggest that you pick
a few and read the terms of the various agreements. Some sites require you
to grant them a license in your copyright, giving themselves the right to
sell items with your images or to use your image in ads for the site. Some
prohibit images that are indecent, obscene, or pornographic. They even
prohibit nudity. As I have photos of topless and clothing optional beaches
and Burning Man, I don't want to run afoul of someone else's definition of
decency, and I certainly will violate the prohibition against nudity; you
may not care.

Check to make sure you can password-protect images or collections of
images, if you want privacy. As an aside, if you password-protect images,
some sites won't care what you post.

Although I don't use Pbase, I like it's terms of service. See
http://www.pbase.com/tos

Contrast this with the terms of service at Ofoto:
http://www.ofoto.com/TermsOfService.jsp
Note that in Paragraph 18, you allow others to share and make prints from
your images; pargraph 19, which prohibits (among other things) blasphemous
images.

See the terms at
http://www.webshots.com/html/terms.html
where "you hereby grant Webshots a perpetual, universal, nonexclusive right
to copy, display, modify, alter, transmit and distribute any materials
stored by you in public albums or otherwise provided by you to the Webshots
Community."

Aside from mere storage, many sites offer things that make the site more
useful. I'd suggest you take a look at
http://www.flickr.com/
http://www.smugmug.com/
http://www.dotphoto.com/
to see if their offerings interest you.

Read not only the terms of service but their privacy policies -- free
services have to make money somehow, and it may be by selling your
demographics in a manner which identifies you. (Smugmug is not free.)

Frank ess

Phil Stripling wrote:
> Minou <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> I'm looking for a good photo sharing site that offers privacy and is
>> simple to use. What might you recommend?

> This is a frequenly asked question, and it turns out there are dozens
> of likely sites. You'll get tons of suggestions. Let me suggest that
> you pick a few and read the terms of the various agreements. Some
> sites require you to grant them a license in your copyright, giving
> themselves the right to sell items with your images or to use your
> image in ads for the site. Some prohibit images that are indecent,
> obscene, or pornographic. They even prohibit nudity. As I have photos
> of topless and clothing optional beaches and Burning Man, I don't
> want to run afoul of someone else's definition of decency, and I
> certainly will violate the prohibition against nudity; you may not
> care.
>
> Check to make sure you can password-protect images or collections of
> images, if you want privacy. As an aside, if you password-protect
> images, some sites won't care what you post.
>
> Although I don't use Pbase, I like it's terms of service. See
> http://www.pbase.com/tos
>
> Contrast this with the terms of service at Ofoto:
> http://www.ofoto.com/TermsOfService.jsp
> Note that in Paragraph 18, you allow others to share and make prints
> from your images; pargraph 19, which prohibits (among other things)
> blasphemous images.
>
> See the terms at
> http://www.webshots.com/html/terms.html
> where "you hereby grant Webshots a perpetual, universal, nonexclusive
> right to copy, display, modify, alter, transmit and distribute any
> materials stored by you in public albums or otherwise provided by you
> to the Webshots Community."
>
> Aside from mere storage, many sites offer things that make the site
> more useful. I'd suggest you take a look at
> http://www.flickr.com/
> http://www.smugmug.com/
> http://www.dotphoto.com/
> to see if their offerings interest you.
>
> Read not only the terms of service but their privacy policies -- free
> services have to make money somehow, and it may be by selling your
> demographics in a manner which identifies you. (Smugmug is not free.)

Excellent advice.

You may not mind paying a couple dollars a month (yearly in advance) for
500MB space and 10x that much bandwidth at
http://www.fototime.com/

You select who sees what and if they can buy prints from the Fototime
service; store BIG images for transfer, printing, or viewing; can link
from Web pages and eBay (many free services prohibit that); title photos
with (limited) html; for another ~$19.00 a year they will host your
movies for viewing in original format or their compressed version (works
good).
http://www.fototime.com/00091D6C9BCAE3B/conv.wmv
http://www.fototime.com/00091D6C9BCAE3B/orig.mov

I've used their services for more than two years, have 6,000+ images
there (creeping up on the first 500MB mark), very reliably. My only
continuing complaint was speed, and they have improved that considerably
with the most recent of their ongoing enhancements.

--
Frank ess

adm

"Phil Stripling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Minou <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> I'm looking for a good photo sharing site that offers privacy and is
>> simple
>> to use. What might you recommend?

> This is a frequenly asked question, and it turns out there are dozens of
> likely sites. You'll get tons of suggestions. Let me suggest that you pick
> a few and read the terms of the various agreements. Some sites require you
> to grant them a license in your copyright, giving themselves the right to
> sell items with your images or to use your image in ads for the site. Some
> prohibit images that are indecent, obscene, or pornographic. They even
> prohibit nudity. As I have photos of topless and clothing optional beaches
> and Burning Man, I don't want to run afoul of someone else's definition of
> decency, and I certainly will violate the prohibition against nudity; you
> may not care.

Bizarre.

Prohibition of promotion of our natural condition should be a crime.

Bruce Lewis

Phil Stripling <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Check to make sure you can password-protect images or collections of
> images, if you want privacy.

People are not generally good at choosing secure passwords. Nor are
they good at remembering secure passwords that you give them. I think
it's better to use randomized URLs. This has the additional benefit of
making the images cacheable, which can greatly speed things up.

Password protection is useful when all traffic is encrypted, when you
have a small audience who is good with secure passwords, and when speed
is not an issue. I don't think this is generally the case with online
photo albums.

--

http://ourdoings.com/ Easily organize and disseminate news and
photos for your family or group.

Phil Stripling

Bruce Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> it's better to use randomized URLs.

Great. So how do we choose randomized URLs with, say, Ofoto?

Bruce Lewis

Phil Stripling <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Bruce Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > it's better to use randomized URLs.

> Great. So how do we choose randomized URLs with, say, Ofoto?

I think their "invite" feature already works something like that. I
haven't used it recently, though. All I'm saying is that when you look
at different sites and are concerned about privacy, don't think password
protection is the best or only option.