Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best digital photograhy magazine?

Best digital photograhy magazine?

John A. Stovall

I've been looking lately at the various digital photography magazines.
Most of them (particular the ones published in the U.S.) are basically
shills for the camera companies.

The only one which I found that appeared to seriously address
technique and issues was the British publication, "Digital
Photographer" .

What other magazines out there are people reading and finding useful?

Browning, Browning...
On appuie là, et qu'est-ce qui sort
Par le p'tit trou? Madame la Mort.
"Browning"
Edith Piaf

HP

"John A. Stovall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been looking lately at the various digital photography magazines.
> Most of them (particular the ones published in the U.S.) are basically
> shills for the camera companies.
>
> The only one which I found that appeared to seriously address
> technique and issues was the British publication, "Digital
> Photographer" .
>
> What other magazines out there are people reading and finding useful?
>

> ************************************************** ***
> Browning, Browning...
> On appuie là, et qu'est-ce qui sort
> Par le p'tit trou? Madame la Mort.
> "Browning"
> Edith Piaf

Playboy...... excellent images and I think they use a digital camera too.

Destin_FL

BwaaaHaaaa, hilarious - LMAO!!

Ken Oaf

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:56:01 -0600, John A. Stovall <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I've been looking lately at the various digital photography magazines.
> Most of them (particular the ones published in the U.S.) are basically
> shills for the camera companies.
>
> The only one which I found that appeared to seriously address
> technique and issues was the British publication, "Digital
> Photographer" .
>
> What other magazines out there are people reading and finding useful?

Forget magazines altogether.

I find newsgroups such as this one offer the best information. You sometimes
have to dig through a bit of **** to find the good stuff, but it is worth it in
the long run.

John A. Stovall

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:39:42 +1100, Ken Oaf <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:56:01 -0600, John A. Stovall <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>> I've been looking lately at the various digital photography magazines.
>> Most of them (particular the ones published in the U.S.) are basically
>> shills for the camera companies.
>>
>> The only one which I found that appeared to seriously address
>> technique and issues was the British publication, "Digital
>> Photographer" .
>>
>> What other magazines out there are people reading and finding useful?

>Forget magazines altogether.
>
>I find newsgroups such as this one offer the best information. You sometimes
>have to dig through a bit of **** to find the good stuff, but it is worth it in
>the long run.

A newsgroup lacks visual images and examples of techniques to create a
specific image which I found critical to understanding a visual art
such as photography. After all this is an ASCII medium.

"Times change and men often change with them, but
principles never!"

Alexander H. Stephens
"A Constitutional View of the Late War Between
the States, Its Causes, Character, Conduct and
Results". 1868

Ken Oaf

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 00:46:48 GMT, John A. Stovall <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> >I find newsgroups such as this one offer the best information. You sometimes
> >have to dig through a bit of **** to find the good stuff, but it is worth it in
> >the long run.

> A newsgroup lacks visual images and examples of techniques to create a
> specific image which I found critical to understanding a visual art
> such as photography. After all this is an ASCII medium.

But people often add links to their posts so you can view images.

Stewy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
John A. Stovall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've been looking lately at the various digital photography magazines.
> Most of them (particular the ones published in the U.S.) are basically
> shills for the camera companies.
>
> The only one which I found that appeared to seriously address
> technique and issues was the British publication, "Digital
> Photographer" .
>
> What other magazines out there are people reading and finding useful?

You could take a look at an English publication Digital Photo
<http://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/stor...arch=Digital+P
hoto&sid=61&custid=09%4003%40200538257%40345809290 &searchbut.x=21&searchb
ut.y=7> Sorry for such a long URL. They give away a free CD with pdf and
AVI movie tutorials every month. Also Adobe's Focus magazine if really
useful if you're using Photoshop.

John A. Stovall

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 19:38:39 +0900, Stewy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> John A. Stovall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I've been looking lately at the various digital photography magazines.
>> Most of them (particular the ones published in the U.S.) are basically
>> shills for the camera companies.
>>
>> The only one which I found that appeared to seriously address
>> technique and issues was the British publication, "Digital
>> Photographer" .
>>
>> What other magazines out there are people reading and finding useful?
>>

>You could take a look at an English publication Digital Photo
><http://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/stor...arch=Digital+P
>hoto&sid=61&custid=09%4003%40200538257%4034580929 0&searchbut.x=21&searchb
>ut.y=7> Sorry for such a long URL. They give away a free CD with pdf and
>AVI movie tutorials every month. Also Adobe's Focus magazine if really
>useful if you're using Photoshop.

That's the one which I liked...

"Les livres font les époques et les nations,
commes les époques et les nations font les livres."

_Mélanges littéraires_
Jean-Jacques Ampère
(1800-1864)

John A. Stovall

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:07:32 +1100, Ken Oaf <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 00:46:48 GMT, John A. Stovall <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>> >I find newsgroups such as this one offer the best information. You sometimes
>> >have to dig through a bit of **** to find the good stuff, but it is worth it in
>> >the long run.

>> A newsgroup lacks visual images and examples of techniques to create a
>> specific image which I found critical to understanding a visual art
>> such as photography. After all this is an ASCII medium.

>But people often add links to their posts so you can view images.

But they don't go in detail about how they arrived at the image and I
must say the great majority of images posted here are rather bad or at
best boring.

"Les livres font les époques et les nations,
commes les époques et les nations font les livres."

_Mélanges littéraires_
Jean-Jacques Ampère
(1800-1864)

Carol Elder

Hi:

I like outdoor photography - they give simple to understand articles
about how they came to take the picture. they include things like how
long they waited to get the right lighting, how far they walked and the
settings on the camera. Of course of you like to take portraits - this
is not the one.

my 2 cents
carol