Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > problems with firmware upgrade

problems with firmware upgrade

Ron Hunter

> Bob Loblaw wrote:
>

>>>Wow! Removing the card illicited the same behaviour as having the
>>>card! This immediately leads to one asking: "did you try another
>>>card? Does that work? Maybe the card is bad." Do I hear an echo?

>>According to Kodak's website , the firmware can be applied to either

>>memory card or the internal memory, soooooooo, if I remove the memory

>>card, it is "out of the picture".

> You chew out Bill Funk for not reading your posting (when he did), and
> now you chew me out because _you_ failed to mention the above fact in
> your original posting. Cool! My only remaining advice flows from your
> demonstrated intellectual dishonesty: take your trolling BS and pound
> it back from whence it came, sirrah. (You might also want to take
> Kodak up on its offer.)

My, aren't you nice. First you misunderstand something, then when you
are politely set straight, you get huffy.
Intellectual dishonesty my ass!

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Ron Hunter

Big Bill wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:14:57 -0500, Bob Loblaw
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>

>>>You chew out Bill Funk for not reading your posting (when he did), and
>>>now you chew me out because _you_ failed to mention the above fact in
>>>your original posting. Cool! My only remaining advice flows from your
>>>demonstrated intellectual dishonesty: take your trolling BS and pound
>>>it back from whence it came, sirrah. (You might also want to take
>>>Kodak up on its offer.)
>>>

>>It's not my fault that you embarassed yourself.
>>Next time, take the time to read the entire post, or have someone read
>>it to you. Better yet, don't try to answer a question that you don't
>>have the knowledge to answer in the first place.
>>My question isn't even remotely close to being a "troll".
>>It's quite legit.
>>You , however, are bogus!
>>Next time, if you don't know the answer to a question, STFU!
>>
>>Bob

> Wow, Bob!
> You screwed up by sandbaging us, and now you tell us it's our fault.
> Maybe if you didn't get so bent because you don't tell enough to us to
> help you, you'd get more help.
> Take your own advice, and STFU.

No one sandbagged you. You just didn't have adequate knowledge of the
camera to make an informed suggestion. NOT his fault.

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Ron Hunter

Big Bill wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 20:26:09 -0500, Bob Loblaw
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Big Bill wrote:
>>

>>>Have you tried another card? Does it work?
>>>Maybe the card is bad.

>>Ummmm.....below is a direct copy-and-paste from my original post...
>>
>>>I have tried removing the memory card and transfering the
>>>firmware to the internal memory, but I still get an error message about
>>>formatting.

>>Respectfully, Bob

> Yes, I saw that.
> My question stands, though. That does not mention another card.
> So, have you tried another card? Maybe that card is bad.

My some people are persistent. If the card is removed, just HOW can it
be a problem, give that the camera can function well on the internal
memory, and doesn't NEED a card for this operation. Maybe the card IS
bad, but it has no bearing on the problem, once it is removed.

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Big Bill

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 01:42:00 -0600, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Big Bill wrote:
>> On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:14:57 -0500, Bob Loblaw
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>It's not my fault that you embarassed yourself.
>>>Next time, take the time to read the entire post, or have someone read
>>>it to you. Better yet, don't try to answer a question that you don't
>>>have the knowledge to answer in the first place.
>>>My question isn't even remotely close to being a "troll".
>>>It's quite legit.
>>>You , however, are bogus!
>>>Next time, if you don't know the answer to a question, STFU!
>>>
>>>Bob

>> Wow, Bob!
>> You screwed up by sandbaging us, and now you tell us it's our fault.
>> Maybe if you didn't get so bent because you don't tell enough to us to
>> help you, you'd get more help.
>> Take your own advice, and STFU.
>>

>No one sandbagged you. You just didn't have adequate knowledge of the
>camera to make an informed suggestion. NOT his fault.

Not how I see it.
Here's the OP:
"After having problems with my Kodak LS443 reading my Lexar memory
card, I tried to upgrade my firmware version. Every time I attempt to
copy the file to my camera from my computer via both docking station
or usb cable, it says the memory needs to be formatted, which I have
done (both internal and card). It then says it can't be formatted.
Also, I have installed the latest version of Easyshare software. The
camera is recognized by my computer when I connect it, and it shows up
in device manager as a Kodak LS443, but when I open Explorer, it just
shows it as "G" drive. I have tried removing the memory card and
transfering the firmware to the internal memory, but I still get an
error message about formatting.
Kodak online support was no help, suggesting I take it in for repair.
The camera is only a couple of years old and hardly ever used.
Any suggestions other than buying a Canon??

Respectfully, Bob"

Now, looking at that, he says that after doing the upgrade, he still
gets an error message about the memory needing to be formatted.
I asked if he'd tried another card. A reasonable question, given that
he was complaining about the card not working.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Bob Loblaw

Big Bill wrote:

> Now, looking at that, he says that after doing the upgrade, he still
> gets an error message about the memory needing to be formatted.

Read it again, Bill.
The problem is the camera won't take the firmware upgrade. The title of
my post is "firmware problem".

> I asked if he'd tried another card. A reasonable question, given that
> he was complaining about the card not working.

The camera has a known issue with certain memory cards, hence the reason
for trying the firmware change in the first place.
Once I can get the camera firmware to take, the card problem will most
likely be solved.
That's why the card is a non-issue.

Chill out!

Respectfully, Bob

Ron Baird

Greetings Bob,

Your best bet is to take us up on the offer. There will likely be no cost
to you. Since you cannot update the firmware there must be something else
going on as it is a relatively easy task. Your address shows that you are
writing from a corporation. I wonder if you have administrative rights to
devices you connect to your system? If not you may be restricted, although
most situations like that result in a message letting you know that fact.

Try the card in a different camera, and try connecting the camera to a
different computer. See if it makes a difference. Let me know and we can
move ahead from there.

Talk to you soon, Bob,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Bob Loblaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After having problems with my Kodak LS443 reading my Lexar memory card,
> I tried to upgrade my firmware version. Every time I attempt to copy the
> file to my camera from my computer via both docking station or usb
> cable, it says the memory needs to be formatted, which I have done (both
> internal and card). It then says it can't be formatted. Also, I have
> installed the latest version of Easyshare software. The camera is
> recognized by my computer when I connect it, and it shows up in device
> manager as a Kodak LS443, but when I open Explorer, it just shows it as
> "G" drive. I have tried removing the memory card and transfering the
> firmware to the internal memory, but I still get an error message about
> formatting.
> Kodak online support was no help, suggesting I take it in for repair.
> The camera is only a couple of years old and hardly ever used.
> Any suggestions other than buying a Canon??
>
> Respectfully, Bob

Bob Loblaw

Thanks for your response Ron.
I'm taking it to Kodak in Toronto.
I tried two computers, with and without the memory card, numerous
formats with the camera menu, but to no avail. I'll let the pros handle
it from here.
That being said, this is my first digital ,and does it ever take
beautiful pics! My only complaint is the length of time it takes from
focus-to-shoot. You don't want to be in a hurry when taking a picture
with it.
Thanks again for responding!

Respectfully, Bob

Zenophobe

Buy a Canon.

rafe bustin

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:12:26 -0600, Zenophobe <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Buy a Canon.

Grow up.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Zenophobe

Join the rest of the world and top post from now on.

I said to "buy a Canon." What I meant to say was: "Buy a
high-megapixel Canon with reliable firmware." If you don't like what
someone has to say, look up 'kill filter' in your newsreader and use
it. Even a child knows that much.