Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > did it

did it

Alan Browne

Brian C. Baird wrote:

>>I had the color temp set at 2800K... at 5500+strobe: perfect).

> The color and exposure are spot on. You've got perfect illumination
> too. Now I'm lusting for some studio strobes.

That was with a couple multiblitz 200 W-s. Too bright, had to shoot at
f/8 even out of softboxes (one at f/8 the other at f/4). I'm in the
middle of making extra difusers to cut the light more.

I did a few with the 5600HS (Minolta flash) and the colors are the same.
Both in pre-flash and in ADI. (Minolta ADI uses the FL from the lens
(those lenses that support it) to calculate correct exposure).

I've done a few impromptu still-lifes with more color and a grey card,
it looks very good color wise.

> One of the things I noticed early on about digital is how well it
> handles dark objects. There's an amazing amount of shadow detail to be
> had from a dSLR.

I'm still in the middle right now (yes I do see more shaddow detail in
some shots.)

Cheers,
Alan.

secheese

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 19:43:07 -0500, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Did wha?
>
>Why I bought the Maxxum 7D, of course.

Hopefully these aren't the sharpest pictures it'll produce! They're
not exactly tack-sharp.

Alan Browne

Woodchuck Bill wrote:

> Congratulations, Alan. I hope you got the price you wanted, and I look
> forward to seeing some AS/non-AS side-by-side comparisons in the near
> future.

Thanks. I did a few quick A/S//non-AS. Yes it works. No it ain't
perfect. It's not so easy doing compares as sometimes a non-AS handheld
shot looks pretty good in any case (I was shooting 1/2, 1/4 sec with a
100). I'll do something more controlled in the days to come. One of
the photo mags say they shoot hundreds of shots in order to evaluate
IS/VR/AS for each lens.... I'm not going that distance...

Price? Well a freebie from Minolta would have been the best price, I
negotiated a package: camera, 1 GB card and an adapter to run the camera
w/o using the batteries (for uploads and/or studio). Total somewhat
under CAD$2K (Camera was listed in the store at $1,900).

Cheers,
Alan

Brian C. Baird

says...
> >Why I bought the Maxxum 7D, of course.

> Hopefully these aren't the sharpest pictures it'll produce! They're
> not exactly tack-sharp.

Are you high? The images he applied USM to are about as sharp as you
want your photos to get.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Alan Browne

secheese wrote:

> Hopefully these aren't the sharpest pictures it'll produce! They're
> not exactly tack-sharp.

I guess you have problems with low contrast images?

Try these:

(17 KB) http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_SM.U.jpg

detail: (2.8 MB) http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_FD.U.jpg

Cheers,
Alan.

Brian C. Baird

In article <d0j6fg$65b$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> secheese wrote:
>

> > Hopefully these aren't the sharpest pictures it'll produce! They're
> > not exactly tack-sharp.

> I guess you have problems with low contrast images?
>
> Try these:
>
> (17 KB) http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_SM.U.jpg
>
> detail: (2.8 MB) http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_FD.U.jpg
>
> Cheers,
> Alan.

"Our money sure is gay."
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Alan Browne

Brian C. Baird wrote:

> In article <d0j0t1$eh$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>> You rule the empire. I rule the universe.

> Wait, that wasn't part of the deal!
>

>> Now, about your taxes... 'tis the season...

> Can I file an extension?
>

>>The setup where I shot the meter was for portraits I did on Sat (film)
>>... so just snapped on the strobes, hooked up the sync and kaboomy on
>>digital ... no color/level adjustments at all, just USM. Only differnce
>>was the somewhat low sync speed of the 7D (160) compared to the Max 9
>>(1/250 with sync cable or 1/300 with slave. Also, I "blue" a couple as
>>I had the color temp set at 2800K... at 5500+strobe: perfect).

> The color and exposure are spot on. You've got perfect illumination
> too. Now I'm lusting for some studio strobes.

Here, incandecent only, f/8, 1/4 s, mirror lockup (the "real" mirror
lockup), ISO 1600. 2800K.

450KB http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM..._SM.1600.U.jpg
3.5MB http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM..._FD.1600.U.jpg
(noise makes the file larger than the cleaner ISO 100 v.)

As I go along I'm really beginning to enjoy this...

Cheers,
Alan.

Colin D

Alan Browne wrote:

> Did wha?
>
> Why I bought the Maxxum 7D, of course.
>
> Alan Browne wrote:

Congrats, Alan! I don't know zip about Minoltas - 'cept I had an
Autocord 2¼ once - but if it's as good as my Canon {) then you're
going to l-o-v-e it.

Colin

Brian C. Baird

In article <d0j7rc$7jm$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> As I go along I'm really beginning to enjoy this...
>
> Cheers,
> Alan.

FEEL THE POWER OF THE DARK SIDE!
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Alan Browne

Colin D wrote:

> Congrats, Alan! I don't know zip about Minoltas - 'cept I had an
> Autocord 2¼ once - but if it's as good as my Canon {) then you're
> going to l-o-v-e it.

Thanks.
My Maxxum 9 is pouting right now... (Lots of film in the fridge too).