Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > city streets/nightime

city streets/nightime

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <d0hcsa$i3u$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"beaver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I want to get some good shots of city streets at night using an
> OlympusC5000z.
>
> I've got the streets, regular nightimes and the camera however it seems that
> whatever settings I use the image is getting flooded with yellow from the
> sodium lighting. When I try to correct them afterwards (PS7) there is simply
> not enough blue channel content to get a balanced image
>
> any advice would be very welcome
>
> as you've probably guessed...newbie!
>
> thanks

Some lamps don't make any blue. I suggest you leave it naturally yellow.

If you really want the blue channel, try taking a second exposure with a
blue filter. You might pick up some fluorescence from slight purple and
UV emissions. You can then mix that in to the blue channel of the first
photo. It will probably look very weird.