Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best camera for $500 or less ??

Best camera for $500 or less ??

Thomas T. Veldhouse

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Bruce Coryell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If you have $500 to spend, I heard you can get a Nikon D70 (normally a
> $1000 - $1200 camera) for that price on Amazon.com. Can't beat that.

No, unfortunately, you can not. Even the body alone is more than that.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Spammers please contact me at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed).

Alan Browne

bob wrote:

> Unspam wrote:

>> Bounce flash?
>>

> Name the camera that has that built in.

Name the serious photographer that doesn't use it.

Siddhartha Jain

bob wrote:
> Name the camera that has that built in.

Ok, its not less than $500 but the Panasonic DMC-LC1 has inbuilt bounce
flash capability.

- Siddhartha

bob

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> bob wrote:
>
>>Name the camera that has that built in.

> Ok, its not less than $500 but the Panasonic DMC-LC1 has inbuilt bounce
> flash capability.

That's a nice ($1500) camera. The bounce capability is very limited
though: it only tilts to 45 degrees.

Bob

bob

Alan Browne wrote:
> bob wrote:
>
>> Unspam wrote:

>>> Bounce flash?
>>>

>> Name the camera that has that built in.

> Name the serious photographer that doesn't use it.

This is in the context of a $500 camera system, and Unspam's assertion
that the Coolpix 5000 style cameras with wide angle accessory lenses are
unsuitable because the built in flash doesn't cover 19mm.

If one allows for the possibility for external bounce flash, then the
internal flash becomes irrelevant.

My whole point was that for $500 you can buy a really great camera, if
you take the kind of photos that I take (which don't generally involve
built in flash!!). For my kind of photography, the extreme wide angle
(19mm) is particularly useful, and there aren't many options in the $500
and under category. Especially when you consider that the camera will
fit in a belt pouch... Ever try taking an SLR on a roller coaster?

Here's an example photo using the 19mm accessory lens:
http://www.2fiddles.com/photos/photography/marin.jpg

It just doesn't bother me that I couldn't use the built in flash due to
the accessory lens.

Bob

Alan Browne

bob wrote:

> This is in the context of a $500 camera system, and Unspam's assertion
> that the Coolpix 5000 style cameras with wide angle accessory lenses are
> unsuitable because the built in flash doesn't cover 19mm.

I think you (possibly plural) are missing the point that in limiting the
budget you're limiting performance at the extremes. Further, in your
example above, if the flash *did* cover 19mm, then you'd complain about
the lens shaddow in the image from the same flash. (flash vigenetting).

In most wide angle flash shots, if there is any depth to the scene, the
results are usually crappy in any case unless there is ample ambient
exposure.

Cheers,
Alan.

Siddhartha Jain

bob wrote:
> Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> > bob wrote:
> >
> >>Name the camera that has that built in.

> > Ok, its not less than $500 but the Panasonic DMC-LC1 has inbuilt

bounce
> > flash capability.

> That's a nice ($1500) camera. The bounce capability is very limited
> though: it only tilts to 45 degrees.

You asked what camera has *that* built-in. You did not mention spec or
price restrictions

- Siddhartha

measekite

I would buy a digital camera. For around that price you can get the
Panasonic Lumix FZ20 with a 2.8 Leica Lens. Just think of the money you
will not have to spend on film and processing. You can shoot and shoot
and bracket to get the right shot and then print only the good ones. I
recommend a Canon IP4000. It prints photo quality.