Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Test of RAW converters

Test of RAW converters

Bill Hilton

This PDF is a reprint of an article in the Feb 2005 issue of the
British magazine "Digital Photo" which tests seven different RAW
converters and ranks them.

Capture One LE was judged the best, with 5 stars. Photoshop Elements
also got 5 stars but was recommended for lower level users.

Nikon Capture 4.1 and Photoshop CS were rated 4 stars.

Canon DPP (Digital Photo Professional) and BreezeBrowser Pro were rated
3 stars.

Paint Shop Pro 9 was the worst one tested and rated at 2 stars.

I've tested four of these (Capture One, Photoshop CS, DPP and
BreezeBrowser) and would rank them the same way.

Also, the new Rawshooter Essentials is a free program by the original
programmer of the Capture One converter and it has some features that
are even more advanced than the others mentioned, I feel. For many
images I get better files with default settings than with Capture One
so it's worth testing as well.

http://www.phaseone.com/upload/raw_converters.pdf

It should be noted that apparently the tester used the default
sharpening and noise reduction settings. I personally like to make
three versions of each file on each converter when doing a comparative
test, one with default settings, one with the default sharpening and
noise reduction turned off (for those who prefer doing these steps
later), and one where I've made every possible correction possible to
get the best image available from that particular converter.

Bill

paul

Bill Hilton wrote:
> This PDF is a reprint of an article in the Feb 2005 issue of the
> British magazine "Digital Photo" which tests seven different RAW
> converters and ranks them.
>
> Capture One LE was judged the best, with 5 stars. Photoshop Elements
> also got 5 stars but was recommended for lower level users.
>
> Nikon Capture 4.1 and Photoshop CS were rated 4 stars.
>
> Canon DPP (Digital Photo Professional) and BreezeBrowser Pro were rated
> 3 stars.
>
> Paint Shop Pro 9 was the worst one tested and rated at 2 stars.
>
> I've tested four of these (Capture One, Photoshop CS, DPP and
> BreezeBrowser) and would rank them the same way.
>
> Also, the new Rawshooter Essentials is a free program by the original
> programmer of the Capture One converter and it has some features that
> are even more advanced than the others mentioned, I feel. For many
> images I get better files with default settings than with Capture One
> so it's worth testing as well.
>
> http://www.phaseone.com/upload/raw_converters.pdf
>
> It should be noted that apparently the tester used the default
> sharpening and noise reduction settings. I personally like to make
> three versions of each file on each converter when doing a comparative
> test, one with default settings, one with the default sharpening and
> noise reduction turned off (for those who prefer doing these steps
> later), and one where I've made every possible correction possible to
> get the best image available from that particular converter.

ACR (and Elements?) lacks curves but otherwise performs faster than
Capture. ACR has shadow, brightness and contrast to get most pictures
right. Of course then you are in photoshop and can apply curves but that
means remembering to convert to 16 bit & convert back to 8 bit after
flattening those curves. ACR has a nicer soft sharpening & noise
reduction than capture IMO.

Some of those side by side comparisons look very different. I think
getting the same settings or trying to get them to look similar would be
more helpful. Or turn off all adjustments on all of them. I tried to do
that with this (though it's still hard to get them comparable):
<http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/our-garden/more/2005-03-02-trillium-maple/more/test>

I also uploaded some tests of various converters someone else did here:
<http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/photography/raw-conversion/crop&PG=1&PIC=8&PICS=9>

DM

Readers may also be interested in where the RAW convertor's fail to get it
right...

http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php...raw-conversion

Regards

DM

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> This PDF is a reprint of an article in the Feb 2005 issue of the
> British magazine "Digital Photo" which tests seven different RAW
> converters and ranks them.
>
> Capture One LE was judged the best, with 5 stars. Photoshop Elements
> also got 5 stars but was recommended for lower level users.
>
> Nikon Capture 4.1 and Photoshop CS were rated 4 stars.
>
> Canon DPP (Digital Photo Professional) and BreezeBrowser Pro were rated
> 3 stars.
>
> Paint Shop Pro 9 was the worst one tested and rated at 2 stars.
>
> I've tested four of these (Capture One, Photoshop CS, DPP and
> BreezeBrowser) and would rank them the same way.
>
> Also, the new Rawshooter Essentials is a free program by the original
> programmer of the Capture One converter and it has some features that
> are even more advanced than the others mentioned, I feel. For many
> images I get better files with default settings than with Capture One
> so it's worth testing as well.
>
> http://www.phaseone.com/upload/raw_converters.pdf
>
> It should be noted that apparently the tester used the default
> sharpening and noise reduction settings. I personally like to make
> three versions of each file on each converter when doing a comparative
> test, one with default settings, one with the default sharpening and
> noise reduction turned off (for those who prefer doing these steps
> later), and one where I've made every possible correction possible to
> get the best image available from that particular converter.
>
> Bill

bmoag

Is this some kind of joke posting?
What is the difference between the Elements and CS converters?
Since all these conversions were done via the aesthetic sense of the article
authors they are essentially worthless as comparisons of anything but the
aesthetic sensibilities of the authors.
The authors come to the startling conclusion that there really is a
difference between jpeg and raw.
What a waste of paper and electrons.

papenfussDIESPAM@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu

: http://www.phaseone.com/upload/raw_converters.pdf

Completely content-free. Don't waste your time.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

ThomasH

DM wrote:

> Readers may also be interested in where the RAW convertor's fail to get it
> right...
>
> http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php...raw-conversion
>
> Regards
>
> DM

This Photohsop RAW has really some serious problems, I am suprized
considering the astononic price of Adobe's software and its
reputation.

> "Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > This PDF is a reprint of an article in the Feb 2005 issue of the
> > British magazine "Digital Photo" which tests seven different RAW
> > converters and ranks them.
> >
> > Capture One LE was judged the best, with 5 stars. Photoshop Elements
> > also got 5 stars but was recommended for lower level users.
> >
> > Nikon Capture 4.1 and Photoshop CS were rated 4 stars.
> >
> > Canon DPP (Digital Photo Professional) and BreezeBrowser Pro were rated
> > 3 stars.
> >
> > Paint Shop Pro 9 was the worst one tested and rated at 2 stars.

Its a pity, Photo SHop Pro is otherwise a low price alternative
to Photoshop and this is what we need: At least one competitor
to the PhotoShop.

Thomas

> > I've tested four of these (Capture One, Photoshop CS, DPP and
> > BreezeBrowser) and would rank them the same way.
> >
> > Also, the new Rawshooter Essentials is a free program by the original
> > programmer of the Capture One converter and it has some features that
> > are even more advanced than the others mentioned, I feel. For many
> > images I get better files with default settings than with Capture One
> > so it's worth testing as well.
> >
> > http://www.phaseone.com/upload/raw_converters.pdf
> >
> > It should be noted that apparently the tester used the default
> > sharpening and noise reduction settings. I personally like to make
> > three versions of each file on each converter when doing a comparative
> > test, one with default settings, one with the default sharpening and
> > noise reduction turned off (for those who prefer doing these steps
> > later), and one where I've made every possible correction possible to
> > get the best image available from that particular converter.
> >
> > Bill

DM

It's not just Photoshop. Look at the colour cast on the red jumper from
C1Pro! Talked to the C1 Techs at Focus On Imaging who say the 20D needs an
additional 'Sunset Profile' that is not currently available to deal with
these dawn/dusk shots (as is available for the 10D).

Why when the Canon EOS Viewer & BBPro have no similar trouble?

Regards

DM

"ThomasH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> DM wrote:
>>
>> Readers may also be interested in where the RAW convertor's fail to get
>> it
>> right...
>>
>> http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php...raw-conversion
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> DM

> This Photohsop RAW has really some serious problems, I am suprized
> considering the astononic price of Adobe's software and its
> reputation.
>

>> "Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> > This PDF is a reprint of an article in the Feb 2005 issue of the
>> > British magazine "Digital Photo" which tests seven different RAW
>> > converters and ranks them.
>> >
>> > Capture One LE was judged the best, with 5 stars. Photoshop Elements
>> > also got 5 stars but was recommended for lower level users.
>> >
>> > Nikon Capture 4.1 and Photoshop CS were rated 4 stars.
>> >
>> > Canon DPP (Digital Photo Professional) and BreezeBrowser Pro were rated
>> > 3 stars.
>> >
>> > Paint Shop Pro 9 was the worst one tested and rated at 2 stars.

> Its a pity, Photo SHop Pro is otherwise a low price alternative
> to Photoshop and this is what we need: At least one competitor
> to the PhotoShop.
>
> Thomas
>

>> > I've tested four of these (Capture One, Photoshop CS, DPP and
>> > BreezeBrowser) and would rank them the same way.
>> >
>> > Also, the new Rawshooter Essentials is a free program by the original
>> > programmer of the Capture One converter and it has some features that
>> > are even more advanced than the others mentioned, I feel. For many
>> > images I get better files with default settings than with Capture One
>> > so it's worth testing as well.
>> >
>> > http://www.phaseone.com/upload/raw_converters.pdf
>> >
>> > It should be noted that apparently the tester used the default
>> > sharpening and noise reduction settings. I personally like to make
>> > three versions of each file on each converter when doing a comparative
>> > test, one with default settings, one with the default sharpening and
>> > noise reduction turned off (for those who prefer doing these steps
>> > later), and one where I've made every possible correction possible to
>> > get the best image available from that particular converter.
>> >
>> > Bill

Bill Hilton

>bmoag writes ...
>
> Is this some kind of joke posting?

No, it's an actual reprint of a magazine article.

> What is the difference between the Elements and CS converters?

Looks like they are recommending C1 for more experienced users and
chose Elements over Photoshop because they are taking cost (value) into
account for beginners. It's a consumer-oriented magazine, what do you
expect? The Elements converter has about 95% of the functionality of
the Photoshop one but at 10-15% the cost and it's easier to use. To
quote from the pdf ... "For the complete beginner to RAW looking to
dabble ... I'd recommend the Elements 3 package". They note Photoshop
has extra features but don't feel they are worth an extra $500,
apparently.

> Since all these conversions were done via the aesthetic sense of the

article
> authors they are essentially worthless ...

As I mentioned in my original post, anyone evaluating RAW converters
should do so with various settings since the default sharpening and
noise reduction settings vary widely, but the rankings these guys came
up with are pretty much in line with what I've seen and with what
others see as well, ie, C1 on top, CS RAW next and the various Canon
engines (DPP, FVU, BreezeBrowser) below CS RAW. Here's a typical
comparison from DPR for example that reaches the same conclusions for
the 1D Mark II ...
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/cano...kii/page17.asp

Bill

Carl Miller

On March 05 2005, "Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This PDF is a reprint of an article in the Feb 2005 issue of the
> British magazine "Digital Photo" which tests seven different RAW
> converters and ranks them.
>
> Capture One LE was judged the best, with 5 stars. Photoshop Elements
> also got 5 stars but was recommended for lower level users.
>
> Nikon Capture 4.1 and Photoshop CS were rated 4 stars.
>
> Canon DPP (Digital Photo Professional) and BreezeBrowser Pro were
> rated 3 stars.
>
> Paint Shop Pro 9 was the worst one tested and rated at 2 stars.
>
> I've tested four of these (Capture One, Photoshop CS, DPP and
> BreezeBrowser) and would rank them the same way.

I use DxO (from www.dxo.com) and on informal testing, found I prefer
images converted with it to Capture One or BreezeBrowser. I took a
picture of an old wooden shed at sunset and found the details and color
to be better on files converted with DxO, and the distortion correction
that DxO does was increadible! I'm also one of those people who shoots
RAW when they think RAW is the way to go, but also shoots JPG when they
think JPG is the way to go, and DxO does its magic to JPGs as well as
RAW files.

--
Carl Miller
www.stellarphotos.com

Ron Krebs

"Carl Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> On March 05 2005, "Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > This PDF is a reprint of an article in the Feb 2005 issue of the
> > British magazine "Digital Photo" which tests seven different RAW
> > converters and ranks them.
> >
> > Capture One LE was judged the best, with 5 stars. Photoshop Elements
> > also got 5 stars but was recommended for lower level users.
> >
> > Nikon Capture 4.1 and Photoshop CS were rated 4 stars.
> >
> > Canon DPP (Digital Photo Professional) and BreezeBrowser Pro were
> > rated 3 stars.
> >
> > Paint Shop Pro 9 was the worst one tested and rated at 2 stars.
> >
> > I've tested four of these (Capture One, Photoshop CS, DPP and
> > BreezeBrowser) and would rank them the same way.

> I use DxO (from www.dxo.com) and on informal testing, found I prefer
> images converted with it to Capture One or BreezeBrowser. I took a
> picture of an old wooden shed at sunset and found the details and color
> to be better on files converted with DxO, and the distortion correction
> that DxO does was increadible! I'm also one of those people who shoots
> RAW when they think RAW is the way to go, but also shoots JPG when they
> think JPG is the way to go, and DxO does its magic to JPGs as well as
> RAW files.
>
> --
> Carl Miller
> (E-Mail Removed)
> www.stellarphotos.com

Looks good. Too bad it supports only a few camera mfgs.