Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Test of RAW converters

Test of RAW converters

Jim Townsend

Bill Hilton wrote:

> This PDF is a reprint of an article in the Feb 2005 issue of the
> British magazine "Digital Photo" which tests seven different RAW
> converters and ranks them.
>
> Capture One LE was judged the best, with 5 stars. Photoshop Elements
> also got 5 stars but was recommended for lower level users.
>
> Nikon Capture 4.1 and Photoshop CS were rated 4 stars.
>
> Canon DPP (Digital Photo Professional) and BreezeBrowser Pro were rated
> 3 stars.
>
> Paint Shop Pro 9 was the worst one tested and rated at 2 stars.

Stange... Nobody seems to notice or discuss Bibble Lab's RAW
conversion software.. It's supposed to be similar in some
respects to C1.

I use it only because I'm a Linux user and Bibble's RAW
converter is the only package out there that has a full
native Linux version.

I use the 'light' version and find it's an excellent package.
It gets images noticeably sharper than the two other RAW
converters I've used to date (Canon's EVU and DPP utilities).

It's not perfect.. There are a couple of small bugs.. But it's
definitley worth looking at.

http://www.bibblelabs.com/

Carl Miller

On March 07 2005, "Ron Krebs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Looks good. Too bad it supports only a few camera mfgs.

Gotta agree with you there. I know one Nikon CoolPix owner who would buy
it if it supported his camera. Owners of the high-end "point-and-shoot"
digitals could really benefit from this program and I'm sure plenty of
them are serious enough about their pictures to snatch it up.

But seems like their supporting new models every month.

--
Carl Miller
www.stellarphotos.com

Doug Mitton

Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bill Hilton wrote:
>
>> This PDF is a reprint of an article in the Feb 2005 issue of the
>> British magazine "Digital Photo" which tests seven different RAW
>> converters and ranks them.
>>
>> Capture One LE was judged the best, with 5 stars. Photoshop Elements
>> also got 5 stars but was recommended for lower level users.
>>
>> Nikon Capture 4.1 and Photoshop CS were rated 4 stars.
>>
>> Canon DPP (Digital Photo Professional) and BreezeBrowser Pro were rated
>> 3 stars.
>>
>> Paint Shop Pro 9 was the worst one tested and rated at 2 stars.
>>

>Stange... Nobody seems to notice or discuss Bibble Lab's RAW
>conversion software.. It's supposed to be similar in some
>respects to C1.
>
>I use it only because I'm a Linux user and Bibble's RAW
>converter is the only package out there that has a full
>native Linux version.
>
>I use the 'light' version and find it's an excellent package.
>It gets images noticeably sharper than the two other RAW
>converters I've used to date (Canon's EVU and DPP utilities).
>
>It's not perfect.. There are a couple of small bugs.. But it's
>definitley worth looking at.
>
>http://www.bibblelabs.com/

Thank you so much for posting this! I have been looking for a native
Linux GUI app to allow manipulation of RAW files. How did you ever
find this one? Does the Lite version expire? The about dialog says I
have 14 days left.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.

Doug Mitton

Doug Mitton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Bill Hilton wrote:
>>
>>> This PDF is a reprint of an article in the Feb 2005 issue of the
>>> British magazine "Digital Photo" which tests seven different RAW
>>> converters and ranks them.
>>>
>>> Capture One LE was judged the best, with 5 stars. Photoshop Elements
>>> also got 5 stars but was recommended for lower level users.
>>>
>>> Nikon Capture 4.1 and Photoshop CS were rated 4 stars.
>>>
>>> Canon DPP (Digital Photo Professional) and BreezeBrowser Pro were rated
>>> 3 stars.
>>>
>>> Paint Shop Pro 9 was the worst one tested and rated at 2 stars.
>>>

>>Stange... Nobody seems to notice or discuss Bibble Lab's RAW
>>conversion software.. It's supposed to be similar in some
>>respects to C1.
>>
>>I use it only because I'm a Linux user and Bibble's RAW
>>converter is the only package out there that has a full
>>native Linux version.
>>
>>I use the 'light' version and find it's an excellent package.
>>It gets images noticeably sharper than the two other RAW
>>converters I've used to date (Canon's EVU and DPP utilities).
>>
>>It's not perfect.. There are a couple of small bugs.. But it's
>>definitley worth looking at.
>>
>>http://www.bibblelabs.com/

>Thank you so much for posting this! I have been looking for a native
>Linux GUI app to allow manipulation of RAW files. How did you ever
>find this one? Does the Lite version expire? The about dialog says I
>have 14 days left.

Sorry to reply to my own post ...

It definetly expires ... I think I read between the lines incorrectly!