Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fuji FinePix E510

Fuji FinePix E510

General Specific

I just bought a Fuji FinePix E510 to replace my broken Olympus D-Series
digital camera.

I find that the Fuji FinePix is very sensative to jitter or motion. So
much so that I am having a hard time taking usable pictures.

Since this camera has many more setting that the Olympus, I figured I
would check here if this is a defect or if anyone knows how to tweak
the settings to make this camera more user friendly.

I'm considering returning it for another Olympus. The Olympus was so
easy to use and the pictures were usually great.

Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

>I just bought a Fuji FinePix E510 to replace my broken Olympus D-Series
> digital camera.
>
> I find that the Fuji FinePix is very sensative to jitter or motion. So
> much so that I am having a hard time taking usable pictures.
>
> Since this camera has many more setting that the Olympus, I figured I
> would check here if this is a defect or if anyone knows how to tweak
> the settings to make this camera more user friendly.

I'm not all that happy with the E510 I purchased; I was in Hawaii, and
really wanted something with a wide lens, and the E510 was the only thing
available with a 28mm wide. But, it seems to consistently have problems with
white balance, and the focus is unpredictable. Sometimes it's spot-on,
others nowhere close. I don't think it's a jitter or motion issue, since
that's entirely a function of shutter speed and the wide/telephoto setting,
and you have reasonable control over each of those. Also, exposure can be
all over the map as well (in auto mode).

I came to the E510 after a series of Olympus cameras, including the D40,
which I didn't appreciate enough until I got the Fuji. I'll be interested in
hearing if you send it in and whether they find anything; I suspect there's
a firmware bug that gives it trouble. I'll be sending mine in when my
brother's through using it for a bike ride in Hawaii. The tough part is
trying to quantify exactly what goes on with it. The exif data tells a
peculiar tale, and there are a number of pieces of info that have nothing to
explain what they are.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

"General Specific" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I just bought a Fuji FinePix E510 to replace my broken Olympus D-Series
> digital camera.
>
> I find that the Fuji FinePix is very sensative to jitter or motion. So
> much so that I am having a hard time taking usable pictures.
>
> Since this camera has many more setting that the Olympus, I figured I
> would check here if this is a defect or if anyone knows how to tweak
> the settings to make this camera more user friendly.
>
> I'm considering returning it for another Olympus. The Olympus was so
> easy to use and the pictures were usually great.

Drude

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> I just bought a Fuji FinePix E510 to replace my broken Olympus D-Series
> digital camera.
>
> I find that the Fuji FinePix is very sensative to jitter or motion. So
> much so that I am having a hard time taking usable pictures.
>
> Since this camera has many more setting that the Olympus, I figured I
> would check here if this is a defect or if anyone knows how to tweak
> the settings to make this camera more user friendly.
>
> I'm considering returning it for another Olympus. The Olympus was so
> easy to use and the pictures were usually great.

I just got a FinePix S5100. I found it was sensitive as well... I'm not
overly familiar with the E510...so I'm not sure of all of its settings,
but with mine, I've found that automatic mode isn't the greatest for
indoor or low-light photos: it's very sensitive (it has no image
stabilizer)... but it's great outside. I find the trick with these
cameras is to shoot in Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority or fully
Manual modes.

I'm really impressed with the pictures I get, but, then again, I have
always preferred Manual Mode on any digital camera I've ever used.

It all depends on how you use it... if you just want a point n shoot...
maybe you need something with less options. But, if you're patient and
learn the different settings (I'm not an expert yet by far, but am
having a great time learning)you can take amazing pictures with the
FinePix.

Drude

General Specific

Druuuude!

I will try those settings.

If I can't fix it, I'm returning it.

David Chien

All of these complaints -- why not try keep the camera 'still' when
taking a picture? Almost all the time, the problem is with the user
shaking the camera = blurry photos. It's almost never a case where the
camera is at fault for making blurry photos. (This applies regardless
of whether it's film or digital.)

Key here is to FREEZE completely like a stone, GENTLY depress the
shutter button with a smooth action, and don't move until the photo has
been taken.

heck, I even recall a Popular Photography or similar magazine article
where they tested this --- holding still and gently depressing the
shutter button helped increase the number of good photos taken.

You can also adjust the ISO speed manually to use a 200 ISO speed
setting or higher to increase the shutter speed.

But keep in mind, when light levels drop enough to slow shutter speeds
down, there's nothing any camera can do by itself to help give you a
better photo unless you hold it still.

Exception being cameras with lens-stabilization systems such as the
Canon, Minolta, Leica long-zoom lens-stabilized models. Leica also has
the FX5/7 models which are smaller and are lens-stabilized. If you
consider these models first, you may find that it fixes the problem.

General Specific

Hold the camera still, why didn't I think of that?

I guess you've never had one of these Fuji's? I held the camera still,
or still enough for any other camera I've owned. I took a lot of
pictures last night, under various conditions, and I have to conclude
that this is a difficult camera.

Example: With my Olympus Stylus 300 I could take pictures of my kids
riding their bikes. With the Fuji, if they blink they come out blurry
like ghosts.

Sel

General Specific wrote:
> Hold the camera still, why didn't I think of that?
>
> I guess you've never had one of these Fuji's? I held the camera still,
> or still enough for any other camera I've owned. I took a lot of
> pictures last night, under various conditions, and I have to conclude
> that this is a difficult camera.
>
> Example: With my Olympus Stylus 300 I could take pictures of my kids
> riding their bikes. With the Fuji, if they blink they come out blurry
> like ghosts.

Please don't take any of the following the wrong way, all I want to do
is help.

I have an E550 and don't have these problems.

Make sure you are not using Auto, use shutter priority set above 500,
set iso to 200 in daylight. Don't hold the camera in front of you
looking throught the LCD use the viewfinder this will help keep the
camera steady. Practice keeping both eyes open to help you follow the
action. Don't jab at the shutter button. Aticipate. Practice it costs
nothing.

This is all standard stuff. Have a good read of the manual, most of this
is in there. The E510 is a good little camera with plenty of features
and good image quality, spend some time learning about it and normal
photography techniques. (Plenty of good books available).

Fuji E550, s7000.