Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > In camera vs separate exposure meters

In camera vs separate exposure meters

Dave

How do in camera exposure meters compare to standalone external meters? Are
there any significant advantages to a standalone meter these days?

Al Luminium

news:gJIUd.2179$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do in camera exposure meters compare to standalone external meters?
> Are there any significant advantages to a standalone meter these days?

Not if you take the time to learn how your metering system handles massive
dark or light backgrounds. Since we're always dealing with a reflected light
metering situations, I find I'm using exposure compensation a lot, and
using the bracket function too (although in full auto mode the exposure is
pretty good, but I lose the depth of field and shutter speed control). I
think the exposure control is good enough with my Canons, that I never took
the time to correlate film speed/exposure using my old Sekonic incident
meter which was my meter of choice back in the days of silver emulsion film.

RSD99

I think that you will find that the high-end professionals will use both
.... but are heavily weighted towards using an external meter. Usually this
will include both incident light meter(s) [which cannot be done "in
camera], spot meter(s). and special strobe light meters.

news:gJIUd.2179$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do in camera exposure meters compare to standalone external meters?

Are
> there any significant advantages to a standalone meter these days?

Piemanlager

news:gJIUd.2179$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do in camera exposure meters compare to standalone external meters?
> Are there any significant advantages to a standalone meter these days?

It really depends on what you are photographing. As a sports photographer i
never use a hand held meter as it is too time consuming. The minolta
metering system in the dynax 800si and dynax 9 i used to use is very very
good, good enough not worry about bracketing with slides even.
These days even when doing my other job, wedding photography i dont use the
hand held any more as the histogram gives me the information i want on
Digital.

About the only time i use my handheld light meter these days is when setting
up stdio flash units.

David Dyer-Bennet

"Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> How do in camera exposure meters compare to standalone external
> meters? Are there any significant advantages to a standalone meter
> these days?

Well, it's easier to take incident readings with a separate meter
(though there *are* camera attachments to do it).

My general experience with digital is that taking test shots and
examining the histogram display is more accurate than what I can do
with a separate meter (I've been using separate meters for more than
thirty years, but have mostly dropped the practice since I've gone
mostly digital).

JPS@no.komm

In message <gJIUd.2179$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How do in camera exposure meters compare to standalone external meters? Are
>there any significant advantages to a standalone meter these days?

You may have to set an external meter to a different ISO than the one in
the camera, if you want to emulate the camera's exposure. The Canon
10D, for example, actually sets exposure about 2/3 stop higher than it
should for the ISO it is set to. For example, when it says ISO 100, it
is really metering for ISO 64, or when it says ISO 1600, it is really
metering for ISO 1000.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

Dave wrote:

> How do in camera exposure meters compare to standalone external meters? Are
> there any significant advantages to a standalone meter these days?

About the only advantage I see to seperate meter is that with many of
them you see all the applicable combinations of f/# and shutter speed
laid out in front of you, and if you are manually exposing you can see
right away what you will get with a given aperture or shutter speed,
versus actually setting combinations with camera and see if it works.
This is a small thing and if you do manual exposure much, you quickly
get a feel for this anyway.

Dave Martindale

"Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>How do in camera exposure meters compare to standalone external meters? Are
>there any significant advantages to a standalone meter these days?

A standalone spot meter will tell you the brightness of a small spot,
typically 1 degree of arc. Cameras with built-in "spot" meters
generally measure a considerably wider angle in spot mode, and many
cameras don't even have a spot mode.

A handheld incident meter can be used to measure incident light at the
subject conveniently.

Dave

bob

Dave Martindale wrote:
> "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>>How do in camera exposure meters compare to standalone external meters? Are
>>there any significant advantages to a standalone meter these days?

> A standalone spot meter will tell you the brightness of a small spot,
> typically 1 degree of arc.

Also, a spotmeter measures absolute levels of brightness, reporting how
many EVs of light are reflecting from the subject. Most built in meters
only give you a suggested exposure.

With a spot meter, it's pretty easy to see what the range of light
intensity is: you can point the meter at the bright spot and the dark
spot, and see how many EV difference there is. With a built in meter,
this might not be so easy. With my Coolpix camera, the built in meter
only shows intensity +/- 2 EV from the current exposure setting. If the
highlight or the shadow was more than 2EV away, then I would need to
adjust the exposure to see what it was.

That said, I almost never use my spot meter with my digital camera. In
practice, it's pretty easy to just take a picture and review the histogram.

Bob

George

I use spot meters, flash meters and color meters. (I haven't, yet, used the
color meter for digital.) The spot meter is REAL useful as you can meter
your highlight and your shadow and press a button to average them. The
flash meter can calculate the exposure for multiple flash firings with
multiple flash heads and take into account any ambient light. I haven't
found any in-camera meter that can do any of these things. I use the
in-camera meter for snapshots...when I am trying to get a specific result on
an important photo, I use an external meter. (BTW, I consider myself an
"advanced amateur" in that I've always gotten pretty involved with
photography and have taken a few college classes but do it strictly as a
hobby so far.)

George