Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon Future SLR to have Movie Mode

Nikon Future SLR to have Movie Mode

Billy

I read that Nikon hinted at a movie mode on fuure SLR's. Is this technically
possible as it is with P&S digicams? Does anyone have a link to where this
information might be written?

I have the Nikon D70 and as a previous Coolpix owner of several cameras in
that line, I miss the movie mode. I know the D70 is geared toward the more
serious enthusiast, but Nikon fell short on this feature for their low-end
SLR.

Bubbabob

"Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I read that Nikon hinted at a movie mode on fuure SLR's. Is this
> technically possible as it is with P&S digicams? Does anyone have a
> link to where this information might be written?
>
> I have the Nikon D70 and as a previous Coolpix owner of several
> cameras in that line, I miss the movie mode. I know the D70 is geared
> toward the more serious enthusiast, but Nikon fell short on this
> feature for their low-end SLR.

Not possible. The only movie you'd get would be of the back side of the
mirror.

Its Only Me

prat..........

Roy

Nikon, and the rest, did not "Fall Short".

They know that the so called Movie Mode would have absolutely no appeal to
the target market of enthusiast photographers, and its availability could be
a reason for not buying, even if such a mode could be built into a digital
SLR.

They have included "Idiot Modes" which do not appeal either, but the
availability of these modes can be re-assuring for "would be" enthusiasts.

If you want movies, buy a Camcorder, or if you really want crap quality, buy
the latest generation Mobile (Cell) Phone.

Roy G

"Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I read that Nikon hinted at a movie mode on fuure SLR's. Is this
>technically possible as it is with P&S digicams? Does anyone have a link to
>where this information might be written?
>
> I have the Nikon D70 and as a previous Coolpix owner of several cameras in
> that line, I miss the movie mode. I know the D70 is geared toward the more
> serious enthusiast, but Nikon fell short on this feature for their low-end
> SLR.

Larry

In article <I3_Td.402$(E-Mail Removed)>, royphoty@iona-
guesthouse.co.uk says...
> > I have the Nikon D70 and as a previous Coolpix owner of several cameras in
> > that line, I miss the movie mode. I know the D70 is geared toward the more
> > serious enthusiast, but Nikon fell short on this feature for their low-end
> > SLR.

Nikon didn't "Fall Short".. The movie mode (even if it were possible in a
DSLR) has no business being in a serious camera.

Video cameras do a good job of capturing video, why re-invent the wheel???

None of my Film SLRs take movies either. Did they "Fall Short"??

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

David J Taylor

Larry wrote:
[]
> Nikon didn't "Fall Short".. The movie mode (even if it were possible
> in a DSLR) has no business being in a serious camera.
>
> Video cameras do a good job of capturing video, why re-invent the
> wheel???

I use to think like that as well. On a couple of recent trips, though,
I've included a few short video bursts when appropriate. Just a few
seconds each. They allowed me to capture, for example, the essence of a
train journey through a snow-filled central Germany.

I'm not a movie enthusiast, nor do I have all the time for editing to make
a polished movie, and I'd never buy a movie camera. However, I do
appreciate the manufacturers who have had the foresight to think outside
the traditional camera constraints and include a movie mode.

Cheers,
David

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , Larry
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> None of my Film SLRs take movies either.

sure they do - just get a motor drive.

the only drawback is the longest movie is just a few seconds long and
there is no audio track.

Hugh Jorgan

"Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I read that Nikon hinted at a movie mode on fuure SLR's. Is this

technically
> possible as it is with P&S digicams? Does anyone have a link to where this
> information might be written?
>
> I have the Nikon D70 and as a previous Coolpix owner of several cameras in
> that line, I miss the movie mode. I know the D70 is geared toward the more
> serious enthusiast, but Nikon fell short on this feature for their low-end
> SLR.

Because:
There is a mirror in the way.
There is a shutter in the way.
You would need to open the shutter and keep it open, AND keep the mirror
locked up.
You would also need to control the aperture, which is almost constantly
adjusted in a movie camera.
With the shutter and the mirror and the aperture taken care of there goes
your battery life.
--
Hugh Jorgan

Big Bill

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 05:18:07 -0800, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , Larry
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> None of my Film SLRs take movies either.

>sure they do - just get a motor drive.
>
>the only drawback is the longest movie is just a few seconds long and
>there is no audio track.

Well, that and you'd need a 35mm projector.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Larry

In article <rC_Td.23927$(E-Mail Removed) >, david-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk says...
> Larry wrote:
> []
> > Nikon didn't "Fall Short".. The movie mode (even if it were possible
> > in a DSLR) has no business being in a serious camera.
> >
> > Video cameras do a good job of capturing video, why re-invent the
> > wheel???

> I use to think like that as well. On a couple of recent trips, though,
> I've included a few short video bursts when appropriate. Just a few
> seconds each. They allowed me to capture, for example, the essence of a
> train journey through a snow-filled central Germany.
>
> I'm not a movie enthusiast, nor do I have all the time for editing to make
> a polished movie, and I'd never buy a movie camera. However, I do
> appreciate the manufacturers who have had the foresight to think outside
> the traditional camera constraints and include a movie mode.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Im sure the convienience is handy, and I have used the video mode on several
of my ZLR digitals, BUT, Im pretty sure including a video mode on a DSLR
would involve compromises that MOST DSLR buyers wouldn't like.

I'll stand by my opinion that if you want video mode, there are several "Top
Of The Line" digicams to choose from that can do video. A DSLR isnt built to
take video, and making it do so would be ... I dont really know the word Im
looking for, I guess it would just be dumb.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.