Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon PowerShot A20 camera problem

Canon PowerShot A20 camera problem

DaveC

Found someone selling a Canon A20 digital camera that has a problem: it will
only operate with the AC adapter, not batteries. He says that Canon tells him
that this is a "semi-common" problem that crops up in older A20's. Sez Canon
will fix for $100. Not really worth it unless I can fix it myself.

Is anyone familiar with this fault and know what the cause is, and possibly a
fix?

Another forum that might be better to ask such a question?

Thanks,

DaveC
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

spudnuty

Hmm,
Don't know much about this particular model but I've met a lot of
people on vacation using a belt pack to power their digital cameras.
Richard

Jerry G.

It may be the battery contacts where they are soldered or wired to the
circuit board. In many of these cameras, to service them, they change the
complete module or board, depending on the nature of the fault. Most of the
cost is the labour.

When Canon does a service job, they will check the complete camera for
calibration and operation. When you get it back, it will be calibrated, and
properly checked.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"DaveC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) al.net...
Found someone selling a Canon A20 digital camera that has a problem: it will
only operate with the AC adapter, not batteries. He says that Canon tells
him
that this is a "semi-common" problem that crops up in older A20's. Sez Canon
will fix for $100. Not really worth it unless I can fix it myself.

Is anyone familiar with this fault and know what the cause is, and possibly
fix?

Another forum that might be better to ask such a question?

Thanks,

DaveC
(E-Mail Removed)
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

DaveC

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:41:29 -0800, Jerry G. wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> It may be the battery contacts where they are soldered or wired to the
> circuit board. In many of these cameras, to service them, they change the
> complete module or board, depending on the nature of the fault. Most of the
> cost is the labour.

Do digital cameras have micro fuses in the battery circuit?
Polarity-protection diodes? Something that might have burnt out if someone
installed batteries backward, for example.

Thanks,

DaveC
(E-Mail Removed)
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

spudnuty

Yes they do have fuses and polarity diodes. Both are easy to check. If
you are adept enough to take this camera apart, deal with the tiny
screws and keep them in the correct place. Know how to deal with the
flex cables that are all over these things. Even if you could get down
to the power board it might be easier and cheaper to buy a parts camera
on eBay and swap out the whole power board.
I recently did this with a Fuji 2600Z that had been dropped and
wouldn't write. I swapped out the read/write board and it works fine.
Upon close examination I found a tiny IC (.5mm X 1MM) that had been
ripped off the board in the drop. It took a half hour to solder that
sucker back but now I have a spare read/write board and another parts
camera on the way.
Richard

DaveC

Any service information (manual, schematic, etc.) for any of the PowerShot
A-series would be very helpful.

Thanks,

DaveC
(E-Mail Removed)
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Jim Douglas

You call canon and see if you get the same story and how much it's to fix.

"DaveC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) al.net...
> Found someone selling a Canon A20 digital camera that has a problem: it

will
> only operate with the AC adapter, not batteries. He says that Canon tells

him
> that this is a "semi-common" problem that crops up in older A20's. Sez

Canon
> will fix for $100. Not really worth it unless I can fix it myself.
>
> Is anyone familiar with this fault and know what the cause is, and

possibly a
> fix?
>
> Another forum that might be better to ask such a question?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn't
> ask a question here if I hadn't done that already.
>
> DaveC
> (E-Mail Removed)
> This is an invalid return address
> Please reply in the news group

DaveC

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:12:17 -0800, Jim Douglas wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> You call canon and see if you get the same story and how much it's to fix.

And so I did. Repair estimates start at $100. Or "trade up" to an A70 for
$170 (which is about what they're selling at discount with no trade-in).

DaveC
(E-Mail Removed)