Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Shoot-out between Nikon D2X and Canon 1DsMK2

Shoot-out between Nikon D2X and Canon 1DsMK2

deryck lant

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12392921

In 14 hours using Nikon lenses

Take your corners . . .

There will be more reviews for the D2X published tomorrow.

Deryck

Brian C. Baird

> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12392921
>
> In 14 hours using Nikon lenses
>
> Take your corners . . .
>
> There will be more reviews for the D2X published tomorrow.
>
> Deryck

Yep, tomorrow is the end of the NDAs.

I wonder if Nikon chose Friday for a reason? The "PR firm" sensibility
is you dump bad news on Fridays and good news on Mondays/Tuesdays.

We'll see.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Colin D

deryck lant wrote:

> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12392921
>
> In 14 hours using Nikon lenses
>
> Take your corners . . .
>
> There will be more reviews for the D2X published tomorrow.
>
> Deryck

This appears to say that Nikon lenses will be used on both cameras. If
so, how is he going to fit a Nikkor onto a Canon body? Why not use a
Canon lens on the Canon?

Or does he think the Canon lens is better than the Nikon equivalent ...

Colin

Espen Stranger Seland

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:35:40 +1300, Colin D
<ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:

>This appears to say that Nikon lenses will be used on both cameras. If
>so, how is he going to fit a Nikkor onto a Canon body? Why not use a
>Canon lens on the Canon?

They do both. It's Nikon (Nikkor) on Nikon and Canon on Canon, and
shots with AFS 300 mm f/2.8 Nikkor on Nikon and Canon.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/D2X_rev06.html

-espen

--
http://www.seland.org/photo/

Brian C. Baird

In article <421E56BC.4EE81120@killspam.127.0.0.1>,
ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1 says...
> This appears to say that Nikon lenses will be used on both cameras. If
> so, how is he going to fit a Nikkor onto a Canon body? Why not use a
> Canon lens on the Canon?
>
> Or does he think the Canon lens is better than the Nikon equivalent ...
>
> Colin

Yeah, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You CAN mount a Nikon
lens on a Canon with an adapter, but the optical performance isn't going
to be exactly the same as it would be on a camera that was designed for
it.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

scharf.steven@gmail.com

"Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> This appears to say that Nikon lenses will be used on both cameras.

If
> so, how is he going to fit a Nikkor onto a Canon body? Why not use a
> Canon lens on the Canon?
>
> Or does he think the Canon lens is better than the Nikon equivalent

> Colin

Using the Nikkor lens on the Canon will give a big advantage to the
D2x, especially if it's a Nikon DX lens. I don't believe that the
reviewer was going to do such a kluge.

I read all the reviews that just came out on the D2x, and it's very
unfair for anyone to compare the essentially semi-professional Nikon
D2x, to the professional Canon 1 DS Mark II. In every un-biased review,
the 1DS Mark II came out the clear winner, with better performance in
almost every test. But this is hardly surprising, considering that the
1Ds Mark II also costs $3000 more, is higher resolution, and uses a
full-frame sensor.

On the other hand, when you compare the semi-professional D2x to its
same-class competitor, the Canon 1D Mark II, the D2x comes out ahead,
and it is only about $1000 more than the 1D Mark II. Nikon has once
again come out with a model that is partway between two Canon models,
both in price and performance.

It would be a mistake for anyone to believe that Nikon isn't
desperately working on a full-frame, true professional-level,
competitor to the 1Ds Mark II. Nikon finally appears to be getting
their act together.

Steve
http://digitalslrinfo.com

Brian C. Baird

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Using the Nikkor lens on the Canon will give a big advantage to the
> D2x, especially if it's a Nikon DX lens. I don't believe that the
> reviewer was going to do such a kluge.

(This is in regards to the Naturphotograf review)

There were some other kludges. I found the lack of 100% crops at every
ISO a bit annoying - and none of the crops for noise showed any
significant amount of shadow area that would be the most likely place to
see noise. Plus, no mention of the aggressive software noise reduction
and it's detail-smushing effects.

The light fall-off test was rather pointless, and the 1DS Mark II pic
was underexposed, which accentuated the corner light fall off. In any
case, it's rather absurd to say a cropped field of view has less light
fall-off than a full-frame sensor. The light falls off, just outside
the sensor area!

The "equal magnification" test was rather funny.

> I read all the reviews that just came out on the D2x, and it's very
> unfair for anyone to compare the essentially semi-professional Nikon
> D2x, to the professional Canon 1 DS Mark II. In every un-biased review,
> the 1DS Mark II came out the clear winner, with better performance in
> almost every test. But this is hardly surprising, considering that the
> 1Ds Mark II also costs $3000 more, is higher resolution, and uses a
> full-frame sensor.

Watch out, you could be lynched!

> On the other hand, when you compare the semi-professional D2x to its
> same-class competitor, the Canon 1D Mark II, the D2x comes out ahead,
> and it is only about $1000 more than the 1D Mark II. Nikon has once
> again come out with a model that is partway between two Canon models,
> both in price and performance.
>
> It would be a mistake for anyone to believe that Nikon isn't
> desperately working on a full-frame, true professional-level,
> competitor to the 1Ds Mark II. Nikon finally appears to be getting
> their act together.

Well, the D2X does deliver outstanding color accuracy and resolution.
The noise performance might not be perfect and it isn't full frame, but
it's still a good effort nonetheless.

I think the images show too much software noise reduction which smears
detail in the higher ISO images, and the 1.5 crop factor isn't for those
wishing to have the full field of view from their superwides. But, it
does shoot a little faster than the 1Ds Mark II, has an interesting hi-
speed crop mode and it has Nikon's top of the line metering and
autofocus. Should be enough to keep a good portion of the Nikon
shooters in the camp.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/