Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Does Camera Raw store info in DNG File

Does Camera Raw store info in DNG File

dwswager

I have been tempted to use the DNG file format and switching from Nikon
Capture to Camera Raw. Does Camera Raw Store the information inside
the DNG file or are we still stuck with Side Car files?

This has been a big issue with staying with Capture. I very much
disklike the whole sidecard file issue with Camera Raw.

Clyde

dwswager wrote:
> I have been tempted to use the DNG file format and switching from Nikon
> Capture to Camera Raw. Does Camera Raw Store the information inside
> the DNG file or are we still stuck with Side Car files?
>
> This has been a big issue with staying with Capture. I very much
> disklike the whole sidecard file issue with Camera Raw.

Adobe Camera RAW will read DNG files. It doesn't write them and
shouldn't. DNG is a format for holding RAW files. Therefore, it would
come before ACR.

Any large project that I have that will leave RAW files on my system for
awhile (like a wedding) first gets converted to DNG. I use Adobe's DNG
Converter. Then I will open them in Photoshop with the ACR.

I like DNG for two reasons. One is what you suggest; I want to be sure
I'm moving everything when I do file organization. The other is that
they are much smaller files. So, when I save originals on CDs or DVDs, I
can fit a lot more on a disk.

Clyde

Brian K

Side Car when I played with it.

Brian

"dwswager" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have been tempted to use the DNG file format and switching from Nikon
> Capture to Camera Raw. Does Camera Raw Store the information inside
> the DNG file or are we still stuck with Side Car files?
>
> This has been a big issue with staying with Capture. I very much
> disklike the whole sidecard file issue with Camera Raw.

Ron Krebs

"dwswager" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I have been tempted to use the DNG file format and switching from Nikon
> Capture to Camera Raw. Does Camera Raw Store the information inside
> the DNG file or are we still stuck with Side Car files?
>
> This has been a big issue with staying with Capture. I very much
> disklike the whole sidecard file issue with Camera Raw.

Yep, not only does it save metadata, it also can imbed the original raw file
as well.