Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > crosspost to alt. photography - question on nikon D70

crosspost to alt. photography - question on nikon D70

C. Falise

hello all-
i have also posted this question to another group. please forgive if my NG
ettiquette is off - i'm new around here...
i am considering purchasing and nikon D70 camera. i've used an fm2 and
bronica sqa for 2 decades and am branching into the digital area.
i had set my sights on the nikon D70 because it was in my budget, i can use
my old lenses (yes, i know the setbacks), and it has the features i am
looking for.
there is one problem though, and that's the viewfinder. i went to try one
out today and was disappointed by how small the viewing area was. it does
not allow for display on the lcd panel when shooting, so i would be
dependent upon this small view to focus and compose my image.
anyone have a problem with this small size and if so, any suggestions for
how to increase the viewing area? it has a built in diopter (so the manual
says, i think). maybe i'm just getting old...
any advice is helpful.
thanks.
-christina

--
see www.tortoisephotography.com

--
see www.tortoisephotography.com

Matt Ion

C. Falise wrote:

> hello all-
> i have also posted this question to another group. please forgive if my NG
> ettiquette is off - i'm new around here...
> i am considering purchasing and nikon D70 camera. i've used an fm2 and
> bronica sqa for 2 decades and am branching into the digital area.
> i had set my sights on the nikon D70 because it was in my budget, i can use
> my old lenses (yes, i know the setbacks), and it has the features i am
> looking for.
> there is one problem though, and that's the viewfinder. i went to try one
> out today and was disappointed by how small the viewing area was. it does
> not allow for display on the lcd panel when shooting, so i would be
> dependent upon this small view to focus and compose my image.
> anyone have a problem with this small size and if so, any suggestions for
> how to increase the viewing area? it has a built in diopter (so the manual
> says, i think). maybe i'm just getting old...
> any advice is helpful.
> thanks.

I don't know about the D70 specifically, but the viewfinder in its
closest competitor, the Canon EOS Digital Rebel (aka 300D), is no
smaller than that in its 35mm cousin, and for that matter, not much
different size-wise than most 35mm SLRs I've used (some have
significantly larger viewfinders or interchangeable viewfinders that
allow that option, but IN GENERAL they all tend to be about the same
size).

The biggest difference you'll find is the lack of manual focusing aids,
like a split-screen or prism dot, but this tends to be common of most
autofocus SLRs, whether film or digital - I guess a lot of camera makers
figure once you have AF, you don't need to use MF anymore, so they don't
accomodate it as well.

As for the LCD screen, you would't want to rely on that anyway,
ESPECIALLY for focusing - the resolution isn't anywhere near fine enough
to permit proper focusing.

Espen Stranger Seland

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 06:53:50 GMT, "C. Falise"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

(cut)
>there is one problem though, and that's the viewfinder. i went to try one
>out today and was disappointed by how small the viewing area was.

(cut)

The small viewfinder on the D70 is a disadvantage, and there's not
much to do about it but get used to it. For me it's not a problem
anymore -- I've got used to it. But of course my F90x(/N90s) now
has a 'luxury' viewfinder

-espen

--
http://www.seland.org/

C. Falise

"Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> C. Falise wrote:

-snip-
> > there is one problem though, and that's the viewfinder. i went to try

one
> > out today and was disappointed by how small the viewing area was. it

does
> > not allow for display on the lcd panel when shooting, so i would be
> > dependent upon this small view to focus and compose my image.
> > anyone have a problem with this small size and if so, any suggestions

for
> > how to increase the viewing area? it has a built in diopter (so the

manual
> > says, i think). maybe i'm just getting old...
> > any advice is helpful.
> > thanks.

> I don't know about the D70 specifically, but the viewfinder in its
> closest competitor, the Canon EOS Digital Rebel (aka 300D), is no
> smaller than that in its 35mm cousin, and for that matter, not much
> different size-wise than most 35mm SLRs I've used (some have
> significantly larger viewfinders or interchangeable viewfinders that
> allow that option, but IN GENERAL they all tend to be about the same
> size).
>
> The biggest difference you'll find is the lack of manual focusing aids,
> like a split-screen or prism dot, but this tends to be common of most
> autofocus SLRs, whether film or digital - I guess a lot of camera makers
> figure once you have AF, you don't need to use MF anymore, so they don't
> accomodate it as well.
>
> As for the LCD screen, you would't want to rely on that anyway,
> ESPECIALLY for focusing - the resolution isn't anywhere near fine enough
> to permit proper focusing.

thanks for the reply-
i have little interest in composing and focusing with the lcd, but the
viewfinder is so inadequate. and as you mentioned, the lack of focusing
aids in the viewing area only compounds the problem.
and you are so right - the camera companies are herding us into auto-
everything and not considering that there are instances when a photographer
still needs to do things the old fashioned way. IMHO, if i'm going to drop
$1200 on a camera, i think it should be more accomodating. Nikon,
especially, has always bragged about the fact that one can use all lenses on
all bodies and have delibarately continued the bayonet mount even in the
DSLR's. why not design a rangefinder that allows one to properly focus an
image using all of the lenses that the camera takes?
do you know if there is a focusing prism for the D70 that at least has a
split-screen? or any after-market do-dad that may help? it's a great
camera otherwise, and i still want to buy it, but am reluctant to do so
until i can find some way to overcome this shortfall.
thanks again.
-c.

bob

C. Falise wrote:

> do you know if there is a focusing prism for the D70 that at least has a
> split-screen? or any after-market do-dad that may help? it's a great
> camera otherwise, and i still want to buy it, but am reluctant to do so
> until i can find some way to overcome this shortfall.

A month or so ago someone posted a link to a German company that cuts
split image viewfinders (for other cameras) to fit.

Since the D70 won't meter with the MF lenses, I'm not sure how much
utility you'll actually get from them though.

Bob

Espen Stranger Seland

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:06:22 -0500, bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Since the D70 won't meter with the MF lenses, I'm not sure how much
>utility you'll actually get from them though.

You can use the D70 in manual mode and use the LCD screen/histogram to
control the exposure. I do this often even with new D lenses.

-espen

--
http://www.seland.org/

bob

Espen Stranger Seland wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:06:22 -0500, bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Since the D70 won't meter with the MF lenses, I'm not sure how much
>>utility you'll actually get from them though.

> You can use the D70 in manual mode and use the LCD screen/histogram to
> control the exposure. I do this often even with new D lenses.
>
> -espen

"Honey, that was cute. Go back and do it again while I read the histogram."

Just giving you a hard time. When I shoot buildings and stuff with
my Coolpix camera I usually review the histogram too.

Bob

Bernard Rother

Matt Ion wrote:

> C. Falise wrote:
>
>> hello all-
>> i have also posted this question to another group. please forgive if
>> my NG
>> ettiquette is off - i'm new around here...
>> i am considering purchasing and nikon D70 camera. i've used an fm2 and
>> bronica sqa for 2 decades and am branching into the digital area.
>> i had set my sights on the nikon D70 because it was in my budget, i
>> can use
>> my old lenses (yes, i know the setbacks), and it has the features i am
>> looking for.
>> there is one problem though, and that's the viewfinder. i went to try
>> one
>> out today and was disappointed by how small the viewing area was. it
>> does
>> not allow for display on the lcd panel when shooting, so i would be
>> dependent upon this small view to focus and compose my image.
>> anyone have a problem with this small size and if so, any suggestions for
>> how to increase the viewing area? it has a built in diopter (so the
>> manual
>> says, i think). maybe i'm just getting old...
>> any advice is helpful.
>> thanks.

> I don't know about the D70 specifically, but the viewfinder in its
> closest competitor, the Canon EOS Digital Rebel (aka 300D), is no
> smaller than that in its 35mm cousin, and for that matter, not much
> different size-wise than most 35mm SLRs I've used (some have
> significantly larger viewfinders or interchangeable viewfinders that
> allow that option, but IN GENERAL they all tend to be about the same size).
>
> The biggest difference you'll find is the lack of manual focusing aids,
> like a split-screen or prism dot, but this tends to be common of most
> autofocus SLRs, whether film or digital - I guess a lot of camera makers
> figure once you have AF, you don't need to use MF anymore, so they don't
> accomodate it as well.
>
> As for the LCD screen, you would't want to rely on that anyway,
> ESPECIALLY for focusing - the resolution isn't anywhere near fine enough
> to permit proper focusing.

The D70 has a manual focusing aid in the form of a green dot in the
lower left hand side of the viewfinder. It flickers as you begin to
focus & then stays lit once in focus.
All my old Nikon / Nikkor lenses ( non cpu )fit but without a hand held
meter it is a trial and error or "experience" process. With the cpu AF
lenses everything is a dream and I no longer drool over other cameras as
I used to before getting the D70. As for the LCDs I very seldom use them
for composing, even with my Minolta I still prefer the viewfinder.
For the price you pay the D70 is a gem ... enjoy it.
Bernard

Benedikt.Schenker@mt.com

Hi matt,

Matt Ion wrote:

> I don't know about the D70 specifically, but the viewfinder in its
> closest competitor, the Canon EOS Digital Rebel (aka 300D), is no
> smaller than that in its 35mm cousin, and for that matter, not much
> different size-wise than most 35mm SLRs I've used (some have
> significantly larger viewfinders or interchangeable viewfinders that
> allow that option, but IN GENERAL they all tend to be about the same
> size).

The 300D viewfinder is not really larger. The D70 viewfinder has a
magnification of 0.75 (Crop 1.5), the 300D a magnification of 0.88
(crop 1.6) this gives crop-corrected 0.5x magnification for the D70 and
0.55x for the 300D. No big deal.

Compared to the viewfinder magnification of film based SLR's it is
quite smaller. 0.75x is a typical value for viewfinder magnification on
these cameras (witout a crop factor).

And from the build quality, the specs and the pcitures it makes, the
D70 does beat the 300D easily. The comptetion would be 10D or 20D. But
having Nikon lenses and being used to Nikon quality you do not want to
make the step.

> The biggest difference you'll find is the lack of manual focusing

aids,
> like a split-screen or prism dot, but this tends to be common of most

> autofocus SLRs, whether film or digital - I guess a lot of camera

makers
> figure once you have AF, you don't need to use MF anymore, so they

don't
> accomodate it as well.

In the Nikons the focus indictor work with any optic up tu 1:5.6 (in
theory) and up to 1:8 or 1:11 in practice

Regards

Benedikt

PS: Before I bought my D100 end of 2003, I used for 20 jears an FM2, too