Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > SRGB

Fyimo

I"ve been shooting my pictures in RGB mode in my Canon 20D. Is there
any advantage to shooting SRGB?

Thanks, Art

Bob Williams

Fyimo wrote:
> I"ve been shooting my pictures in RGB mode in my Canon 20D. Is there
> any advantage to shooting SRGB?
>
> Thanks, Art

The sRGB color gamut is smaller than Adobe RGB.
If you are only going to display it on a computer, sRGB is fine.
If you intend to print it, Leave it in Adobe RGB.
Bob Williams

Eric Gill

Bob Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Fyimo wrote:
>> I"ve been shooting my pictures in RGB mode in my Canon 20D. Is there
>> any advantage to shooting SRGB?
>>
>> Thanks, Art
>>

> The sRGB color gamut is smaller than Adobe RGB.
> If you are only going to display it on a computer, sRGB is fine.
> If you intend to print it, Leave it in Adobe RGB.

Actually - no.

If you intend offset 4 color litho print, it's not as big a deal to shoot
in RGB, since the color gamut of CMYK is even smaller. However, if you are
printing to a good inkjet, lightjet or the like - and most pro photo labs
use something like this - those devices have a wonderfully large gamut and
will benefit from SRGB.

I shoot in nothing but, since you can always change down but not up.

Ben Thomas

Fyimo wrote:
> I"ve been shooting my pictures in RGB mode in my Canon 20D. Is there
> any advantage to shooting SRGB?
>
> Thanks, Art

sRGB is the colour space the computer monitors can display. You are probably
using AdobeRGB, which is a larger colour space than sRGB. I think printers can
benefit from the larger colour space, but apparently many commercial printers
assume you are using sRGB so the photos may not come out as you expect.

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.

bmoag

Actually AdobeRGB is the wider gamut.
In an ideal world this would make a difference.
In the real world of limited color vision (if your color perception were
limited how would you know it?), imperfect (even if calibrated) monitor
displays, printer gamuts that may or may not be what the manufacturer
claims, and differences in reflectivity of different papers (not to mention
the effect of ambient light on perceived print colors) I am not sure that
there is a practical difference between sRGB and AdobeRGB for most users.
What really matters are the color management procedures you use once the
image enters Photoshop.

Eric Gill

"bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:j5uSd.3011$(E-Mail Removed) m:

> Actually AdobeRGB is the wider gamut.

Indeed. I plead discombobulation via too damned many deadlines.

<snip>

YoYo

Try it yourself take a photo in sRGB and then take the same photo in aRGB
then print both photos (without any editing). Then you can see with your
own eyes which is better.
The beauties of digital.

"Fyimo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I"ve been shooting my pictures in RGB mode in my Canon 20D. Is there
> any advantage to shooting SRGB?
>
> Thanks, Art

paul

Fyimo wrote:

> I"ve been shooting my pictures in [adobe?]RGB mode in my Canon 20D. Is there
> any advantage to shooting SRGB?
>
> Thanks, Art

AdobeRGB will show very vivid saturated colors a bit better on screen
and with newer inkjet printers. You need to set up Photoshop to manage
color space and other programs may not interpret it correctly. AdobeRGB
images ought to be converted to sRGB for web display, again this only
really is noticeable for very intense colorful circus type pictures in
my limited experience.

Graham Russell

"Fyimo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I"ve been shooting my pictures in RGB mode in my Canon 20D. Is there
> any advantage to shooting SRGB?
>
> Thanks, Art

I had great problems with dull prints from a pro-lab. This was until I
discovered they didn't use embedded colour profiles and needed images in
sRGB (Fuji Frontier machines). Another lab I use for wedding work also use
Fuji machines and recommend sRGB. They advised me to use Adobe RGB when the
target is CMYK otherwise use sRGB. Therefore, for all work I send to my labs
I use sRGB and the colours are spot on. I have a fully colour calibrated
workflow at home.

If you're able to colour calibrate your ink jet printer at home then you can
get great results using Adobe RGB. However, I haven't done a side by side
comparison of sRGB and Adobe RGB on inkjets. There maybe little difference
in the final result if both are calibrated properly.

To cut a long story shot I always use sRGB for work that I sell.

I hope this helps.

Graham.

Graham Russell Photography - www.grahamrussell.info
ProSportPhotos - www.prosportphotos.com

sRGB.ICM =?Utf-8?B?S2F5bGVl?= Wireless Networking 2 02-16-2005 12:53 AM
adobe or srgb Don Digital Photography 30 08-19-2004 11:54 AM
Costco and sRGB Vadim Digital Photography 14 01-28-2004 03:48 PM
Colorspace - AdobeRGB to sRGB conversion (ImageMagick?) Jim Garrison Digital Photography 1 09-30-2003 03:10 AM
Re: Colorspace - AdobeRGB to sRGB conversion (ImageMagick?) Jim Garrison Digital Photography 0 09-30-2003 02:58 AM

Advertisments