Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > camera in car in summer

camera in car in summer

clutch@lycos.com

I've looked around a bit and haven't seen much on this subject. Back
when I was shooting film, the idea of having a camera in a parked car
during summer seemed like a very bad idea since I figured the film
might not like the heat.

How do digital cameras hold up in hot closed up parked cars? Are
there any reasonable cost storage containers that will protect the
camera? Likely using something like a peltier effect cooler or
something like that.

Are digicams sturdy enough to take the heat if not in direct sunlight
and theft light

Wes

--
Reply to:
Lycos address is a spam trap.

TCS

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:43:20 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I've looked around a bit and haven't seen much on this subject. Back
>when I was shooting film, the idea of having a camera in a parked car
>during summer seemed like a very bad idea since I figured the film
>might not like the heat.

>How do digital cameras hold up in hot closed up parked cars? Are
>there any reasonable cost storage containers that will protect the
>camera? Likely using something like a peltier effect cooler or
>something like that.

>Are digicams sturdy enough to take the heat if not in direct sunlight
>and theft light

If the batteries can take the heat, so can the camera. Try to keep the
temp under 180 DEGF and you'll be ok.

Tony

I would imagine the same method I've used for decades will work. A cooler. I
keep my film and gear in it. No coolant or any rushing it indoors or
anything. OTOH I don't travel through a lot of hot deserts.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've looked around a bit and haven't seen much on this subject. Back
> when I was shooting film, the idea of having a camera in a parked car
> during summer seemed like a very bad idea since I figured the film
> might not like the heat.
>
> How do digital cameras hold up in hot closed up parked cars? Are
> there any reasonable cost storage containers that will protect the
> camera? Likely using something like a peltier effect cooler or
> something like that.
>
> Are digicams sturdy enough to take the heat if not in direct sunlight
> and theft light
>
> Wes
>

> --
> Reply to:
> Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Gee Tee EYE EYE dot COM
> Lycos address is a spam trap.

Ron Recer

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've looked around a bit and haven't seen much on this subject. Back
> when I was shooting film, the idea of having a camera in a parked car
> during summer seemed like a very bad idea since I figured the film
> might not like the heat.
>
> How do digital cameras hold up in hot closed up parked cars? Are
> there any reasonable cost storage containers that will protect the
> camera? Likely using something like a peltier effect cooler or
> something like that.
>
> Are digicams sturdy enough to take the heat if not in direct sunlight
> and theft light

Except for brief periods of use and overnight stays inside while the battery
is charging, my Canon G1 has resided in the console of my Chevy 3500 pickup
since June of '03. Doesn't seem to be any worse for the wear.

Ron

Mij Adyaw

It is a BAD idea. I would not expost my cameras to these types of
conditions. Why don't you just take the camera out of the car?

"Ron Recer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've looked around a bit and haven't seen much on this subject. Back
>> when I was shooting film, the idea of having a camera in a parked car
>> during summer seemed like a very bad idea since I figured the film
>> might not like the heat.
>>
>> How do digital cameras hold up in hot closed up parked cars? Are
>> there any reasonable cost storage containers that will protect the
>> camera? Likely using something like a peltier effect cooler or
>> something like that.
>>
>> Are digicams sturdy enough to take the heat if not in direct sunlight
>> and theft light
>>

> Except for brief periods of use and overnight stays inside while the
> battery
> is charging, my Canon G1 has resided in the console of my Chevy 3500
> pickup
> since June of '03. Doesn't seem to be any worse for the wear.
>
> Ron

TCS

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:37:27 -0800, Mij Adyaw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Except for brief periods of use and overnight stays inside while the
>> battery
>> is charging, my Canon G1 has resided in the console of my Chevy 3500
>> pickup
>> since June of '03. Doesn't seem to be any worse for the wear.
>>

>It is a BAD idea. I would not expost my cameras to these types of
>conditions. Why don't you just take the camera out of the car?

Perhaps he wants to avoid driving home to get it every single time
he sees a photo-op.

Markeau

For the last 2yrs my Canon S400 has remained in my vehicle in repeated
temps of >100 (probably more like 120F inside in direct sun, closed
vehicle) and <20 degrees F with no problems ... I leave it in there so
I will be prepared in case some unexpected thing happens, and yes it
is a pocket camera but I can't always remember to take stuff with me
every day ... In fact, I also leave my Canon Elura2 video cam in
there, too, and it also has had no problems.

Andrew Koenig

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> How do digital cameras hold up in hot closed up parked cars? Are
> there any reasonable cost storage containers that will protect the
> camera? Likely using something like a peltier effect cooler or
> something like that.

Why not just leave it in the trunk? It won't be anywhere near as hot, and
there will be less temptation to steal it.

Joseph Meehan

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I've looked around a bit and haven't seen much on this subject. Back
> when I was shooting film, the idea of having a camera in a parked car
> during summer seemed like a very bad idea since I figured the film
> might not like the heat.
>
> How do digital cameras hold up in hot closed up parked cars? Are
> there any reasonable cost storage containers that will protect the
> camera? Likely using something like a peltier effect cooler or
> something like that.
>
> Are digicams sturdy enough to take the heat if not in direct sunlight
> and theft light
>
> Wes

In general digitals are less sensitive to heat than film. However they
still have mechanical parts which may end up being damaged (lube may melt
and end up in the wrong place for example) Batteries may be a problem as
well. I would try to avoid it although I doubt if it will be a problem most
of the time.

I always just keep the camera with me. Less of a target and if I am
comfortable, it is as well.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Hunt

>I've looked around a bit and haven't seen much on this subject. Back
>when I was shooting film, the idea of having a camera in a parked car
>during summer seemed like a very bad idea since I figured the film
>might not like the heat.
>
>How do digital cameras hold up in hot closed up parked cars? Are
>there any reasonable cost storage containers that will protect the
>camera? Likely using something like a peltier effect cooler or
>something like that.
>
>Are digicams sturdy enough to take the heat if not in direct sunlight
>and theft light
>
>Wes

Wes, I cannot directly address your question, re: digital cameras in a hot
car, but:

Shooting film for two weeks in 130F desert daytime temps, down to 118F at
night, I kept film in a Gott cooler with fresh ice. Gott was bought by
Coleman, IIRC, and their well-insulated design went away. In an uninsulated
camper shell, the ice lasted for ~ days even though we were in and out quite a
bit. Now, to what might be available today - there are several 12v coolers
that plug into cig lighter socket. AutoSport and Girott's [SP?] have offered
them in the past. I've seen the one that was built-in in a Toyota van, and it
did a nice job with film at Arches NP in the Summer.

Some vehicles, like wife's MB S-500 offer AC for the trunk, which works OK,
but not great, because of lack of major insulation.

As a thought, I'd try and keep a digital cool if at all possible, but maybe
someone here can acurately state the safety range.

Hunt

CAR INSURANCE FOR YOUR CAR Ahmed Digital Photography 3 10-31-2007 10:50 AM
CAR INSURANCE FOR YOUR CAR Ahmed C++ 0 10-31-2007 02:25 AM
CAR INSURANCE FOR YOUR CAR Ahmed C Programming 0 10-31-2007 02:24 AM
Kamaelia & Summer of Code (was Re: Google's Summer of Code - Students coding on MoinMoin ) Michael Python 0 05-06-2006 10:27 AM

Advertisments