Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Custon White Balance: Subject Photo?

Custon White Balance: Subject Photo?

Steve Cutchen

I'm looking for a target for making the photo needed to do custom white
balancing on my 300D. Something I could have confidence in and take
with me from gym to gym (I shoot a lot of volleyball...) Any ideas?
Is there a commercial target card or something like that?

secheese

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:59:08 GMT, Steve Cutchen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I'm looking for a target for making the photo needed to do custom white
>balancing on my 300D. Something I could have confidence in and take
>with me from gym to gym (I shoot a lot of volleyball...) Any ideas?
>Is there a commercial target card or something like that?

If I understand you correctly, what you're looking for is called a
gray card; actually white on one side and gray on the opposite.
Yes... you can buy them at any decent camera store. However, a white
sheet of paper works as well.

Joseph Meehan

Steve Cutchen wrote:
> I'm looking for a target for making the photo needed to do custom
> white balancing on my 300D. Something I could have confidence in and
> take with me from gym to gym (I shoot a lot of volleyball...) Any
> ideas? Is there a commercial target card or something like that?

The ideal item is a photographic gray card.

A white piece of laser paper will work as well. I remember being at a
national dance competition once and the TV camera guy kept turning around
and photographing me. I would have not thought anything of it if he was
photographing my partner, the fact that it was clear I was the target made
me wonder about him, until if figured it out. I was wearing a white Tux.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Doctor J. Frink

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:59:08 GMT, Steve Cutchen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I'm looking for a target for making the photo needed to do custom white
>balancing on my 300D. Something I could have confidence in and take
>with me from gym to gym (I shoot a lot of volleyball...) Any ideas?
>Is there a commercial target card or something like that?

Yeah, but for setting white balance I find a piece of white paper or
card does the trick. When out I'm usually carrying field guides so I use
a piece of white card (actually a blank postcard) as a bookmark, and
that does the job just nicely.

And if if gets lost or damaged it's quick and cheap to replace.

Frink

--
Doctor J. Frink : 'Rampant Ribald Ringtail'
See his mind here : http://www.cmp.liv.ac.uk/frink/

redbelly

Doctor J. Frink wrote:
> I use a piece of white card (actually a blank postcard)

Or a blank 3" x 5" index card.

Mark

Bill Hilton

>I'm looking for a target for making the photo needed to do custom
white
>balancing on my 300D.

Most people use a Kodak grey card or even a white piece of paper.

> Is there a commercial target card or something like that?

Yes, especially for digital cameras ...
http://www.pictureflow.com/products/whibal/index.html Make sure you
shoot in RAW mode since you can adjust the WB during the RAW conversion
without penalty.

Bill

DHB

wrote:

>I'm looking for a target for making the photo needed to do custom white
>balancing on my 300D. Something I could have confidence in and take
>with me from gym to gym (I shoot a lot of volleyball...) Any ideas?
>Is there a commercial target card or something like that?

Steve Cutchen,
on page 96 in the March 2005 issue of "Popular
Photography & Imaging" magazine they published a suggestion from an
individual who uses a white coffee filter to cover the lens, held in
place with a rubber band. Them aims at the light source & uses that
to set the custom white balance.

This is something I intend to try because it's extremely
inexpensive, foldable (thus small), I should be able to carry a few in
a zip-lock sandwich bag in my camera case or pocket & it would take-up
almost no room.

Now to try it & find out how well it works compared to my
Kodak gray/white card. If it works as well, then great, if it's
almost as good than, I can always carry some as a backup to my Kodak
gray/white card & for use with Point-n-Shoot cameras that also have a
custom white balance setting.

Hope this idea proves to be of value to you & or others, the
investment is minimal & you may already have several in your house, so
I think it's well worth a try. My only concern if it works well would
be to keep several from that batch aside for future use. There is the
possibility that the purity of "white" may vary from batch to batch or
brand to brand, after all, they are coffee filters so I don't think
consistency of a neutral "white" is a concern to the manufacturers.

Good luck,

Respectfully, DHB

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Paul Mitchum

DHB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:59:08 GMT, Steve Cutchen <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm looking for a target for making the photo needed to do custom white
> >balancing on my 300D. Something I could have confidence in and take
> >with me from gym to gym (I shoot a lot of volleyball...) Any ideas?
> >Is there a commercial target card or something like that?

> Steve Cutchen,
> on page 96 in the March 2005 issue of "Popular Photography &
> Imaging" magazine they published a suggestion from an individual who uses
> a white coffee filter to cover the lens, held in place with a rubber band.
> Them aims at the light source & uses that to set the custom white balance.
>
> This is something I intend to try because it's extremely
> inexpensive, foldable (thus small), I should be able to carry a few in a
> zip-lock sandwich bag in my camera case or pocket & it would take-up
> almost no room.

And you can make coffee...

I found this on the web a while back: <http://www.expodisc.com/> Same
idea. It snaps on the lens filter threads and guarantees you 18% grey,
so you can get the white balance and maybe get a handle on exposure, as
well, if that's what you're after.

I haven't used it, but I plan on giving it a whirl at the next
opportunity.

Steve Cutchen

In article <170220050659085672%(E-Mail Removed)>, Steve Cutchen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm looking for a target for making the photo needed to do custom white
> balancing on my 300D. Something I could have confidence in and take
> with me from gym to gym (I shoot a lot of volleyball...) Any ideas?
> Is there a commercial target card or something like that?

Some very good suggestions, thanks all.

My 300D manual says to shoot a white item that fills the *center* of
the screen... (the drawing shows the white target inside the first
four AF focus points)

So it does not matter that the rest of the frame might be some odd
color?

Also, is the camera just looking for a neutral target (i.e. RGB values
equal, like the traditional 18% gray) or does it need to be WHITE?

Stacey

Steve Cutchen wrote:

> So it does not matter that the rest of the frame might be some odd
> color?

It doesn't matter if the white fills the whole screen.

--

Stacey