Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > nikon full frame sensor SRL

nikon full frame sensor SRL

Darrell

"massimo lanzoni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cuvhd2$hpr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> about you,
> will Nikon introduce a full frame (24x36mm) sensor digital SRL ???
> if yes or no, why ???

Nikon's imaging president is on record as saying that they could create a
full frame, high end DSLR, but haven't because they didn't think there would
be much of a market for a US$10k product.

As many of the new lenses are DX lens the answer should be clear enough.

Darrell

"Fullator" <lvolders@forget_it.telenet.be> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:06:16 -0500, "Darrell" <dev/null> wrote:
>

> >"massimo lanzoni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:cuvhd2$hpr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> about you,
> >> will Nikon introduce a full frame (24x36mm) sensor digital SRL ???
> >> if yes or no, why ???
> >>

> >Nikon's imaging president is on record as saying that they could create a
> >full frame, high end DSLR, but haven't because they didn't think there

would
> >be much of a market for a US$10k product.
> >
> >As many of the new lenses are DX lens the answer should be clear enough.
> >

> A remarkable statement, to say the least. Demand for the Canon EOS 1Ds
> MarkII is so high, they are near impossible to get. Here in Belgium a
> waiting list of several months is not uncommon. With some luck, I'll
> have mine next month.
>
> So far for 'not much of a market....'

It's a matter of supply and demand, Supply is LOW which is why it takes
months to get one. I don't recall the last time somebody even asked for a
1DSmk.IIm I sold a 1Dmk.II on Friday, first one in months compared to more
popular 20D and Drebels. If I compared dSLR sales to P&S it would seem like
few were buying dSLR cameras.

Darrell

"Scharf-DCA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> "Mark Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > It was one of their engineers who was quoted as saying that they were
> > working on full-frame sensors. He issued a retraction a couple of

> weeks
> > later. Rumor mill has it that higher ups ordered him to do so. You

> see,
> > if it were to become known for certain that Nikon had a full-frame

> DSLR
> > in the pipeline,

> Do you think that there is anyone that doesn't believe that Nikon is
> working on full frame sensors?
>
> > they're clearly counting on the new D2x to slow the exodus to Canon

> until it's ready.
>
> It may have some effect, but there are a lot of pros that are getting
> antsy, and the D2x doesn't get them where they need to be.
>
> The weirdest thing is the announcement of the 4 Mpixel D2Hs.

Have you actually seen how good the D2H images are? It's not always pixel
counts.

massimo lanzoni

about you,
will Nikon introduce a full frame (24x36mm) sensor digital SRL ???
if yes or no, why ???

rgds
Massimo

gsum

The reason why the D2X is not full frame is one of life's great
mysteries and will probably cost Nikon dear. Many people, like me,
seem to be buying the full frame Kodak SLR/n which, thanks to the
completely unfounded bad press, is being discounted.

Graham

"massimo lanzoni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cuvhd2$hpr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> about you,
> will Nikon introduce a full frame (24x36mm) sensor digital SRL ???
> if yes or no, why ???
>
> rgds
> Massimo

Bill Hilton

> will Nikon introduce a full frame (24x36mm) sensor digital SRL ?

They have reportedly said they will have two classes of solutions, one
with the 1.5x sensor and one with the 1x sensor, and have also
reportedly said they will stick with the smaller sensors. Both stories
have been reported in the press even though they are contradictory. So
they are probably looking at the 1x sensors but aren't sure yet if it
makes sense to bring them out.

> if yes or no, why ???

If yes, to compete with Canon, though some of the pressure to compete
on pixel count goes away with the D2x. If no, because they don't think
the financial numbers make sense. You can always get the Kodak 14n,
which has a lot of problems but uses a 1x sensor which accepts Nikon
lenses for a lot less $$ than the Canon 1x models.

Bill

Alfred Molon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Darrell" <dev/null>
says...

> As many of the new lenses are DX lens the answer should be clear enough.

DX means that the lens can only be used with an APS sized sensor ?
--

Alfred Molon

Owamanga

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:56:08 +0100, Alfred Molon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Darrell" <dev/null>
>says...
>>
>> As many of the new lenses are DX lens the answer should be clear enough.

>DX means that the lens can only be used with an APS sized sensor ?

Yes, unless you are happy with some extremely serious vignetting.

--
Owamanga!

Mark Roberts

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> will Nikon introduce a full frame (24x36mm) sensor digital SRL ?

>They have reportedly said they will have two classes of solutions, one
>with the 1.5x sensor and one with the 1x sensor, and have also
>reportedly said they will stick with the smaller sensors. Both stories
>have been reported in the press even though they are contradictory. So
>they are probably looking at the 1x sensors but aren't sure yet if it
>makes sense to bring them out.

It was one of their engineers who was quoted as saying that they were
working on full-frame sensors. He issued a retraction a couple of weeks
later. Rumor mill has it that higher ups ordered him to do so. You see,
if it were to become known for certain that Nikon had a full-frame DSLR
in the pipeline, a whole lot of people placing orders for a D2x would
simply put their checkbooks away and wait. That's not a way smart
companies like Nikon stay in business.

If you're entering a new market segment and/or trying to stop your
customers from switching brands, you want to announce as soon as
possible even if the new product isn't ready yet. That's why Nikon's D70
and D2x and Minolta's 7D were announced long before you could buy them.
But if you're offering a replacement/upgrade to an existing product, you
don't want to announce until the day before it hits the shelves, so you
can milk every last sale out of the old model before you have to
discount leftover stock. If Nikon does have full-frame in the works
they're clearly counting on the new D2x to slow the exodus to Canon
until it's ready.

Of course, there's no clearly-defined line between "soon" and "late" in
product announcements. The marketing guys try to navigate that great
gray area and decide exactly when the cost of having people put off
purchase of your existing product (because you've announced the Next
Greatest Thing) outweighs the cost of keeping them in the dark and
possibly switching their allegiance over to The Enemy

In the majority of cases the manufacturers conclude it's in their best
interest to keep us in the dark until the last moment.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing

Fullator