Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus D-600L Zoom Switch

Olympus D-600L Zoom Switch

kwshoes@spamcop.net

I handed my camera to a friend to take a picture. When he handed it
back to me, the zoom switch was not working. It seems to be moving
freely, not engaging whatever mechanism it is that causes the zoom to
move.

I doubt that he did anything to break it. The zoom switch, as I
recall, can't be forced past its stops with normal force applied.

I'd like to be able to TRY to repair the switch myself. I only paid
$50 for the camera, used. It has worked well for an older camera,
despite the deficiencies in shooting in low light, and the relatively
large size and lack of features compared to more "modern" digital
cameras.

Would anyone here care to comment on how difficult it is to reach the
internal parts of the switch mechanism? I'm quite willing to tackle
disassembly, assuming I can find all the places to unscrew the case.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Ken Weitzel

> I handed my camera to a friend to take a picture. When he handed it
> back to me, the zoom switch was not working. It seems to be moving
> freely, not engaging whatever mechanism it is that causes the zoom to
> move.
>
> I doubt that he did anything to break it. The zoom switch, as I
> recall, can't be forced past its stops with normal force applied.
>
> I'd like to be able to TRY to repair the switch myself. I only paid
> $50 for the camera, used. It has worked well for an older camera,
> despite the deficiencies in shooting in low light, and the relatively
> large size and lack of features compared to more "modern" digital
> cameras.
>
> Would anyone here care to comment on how difficult it is to reach the
> internal parts of the switch mechanism? I'm quite willing to tackle
> disassembly, assuming I can find all the places to unscrew the case.
>
> Thanks in advance if you can help.

Hi...

I don't know that particular camera; but do know many
Oly's quite well, so if my opinion is worth anything, then
here goes...

Repair of the zoom switch itself is out of the question.
A very small completely encapsulated little thing, with
bent tabs holding it together, and certainly filled with
springs and ball bearings and all kinds of potential trouble.
Forget it.

However, if it "feels good", yet simply does nothing, it's
a possibility that one of it's contacts has broken away
from the pc board it's mounted to. Or possibly the
flat ribbon cable that connects that tiny board to the mainboard
has partially unplugged itself. Might be worth a look-see.

If you do decide to disassemble it, remember the flash
cap. Dangerous.

Good luck, and take care.

Ken