Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > FYI - Nikon Capture 4.2 Updater released.

FYI - Nikon Capture 4.2 Updater released.

Ed Ruf

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...cGFnZT0x&p_li=

Question
Nikon Capture 4.2 Updater - Windows
Answer
What is this?
This is an updater version of Nikon Capture version 4.2 for Windows
(English)
What is new/Content Description

1. Support for the D2X has been added.
2. The "Digital DEE" function has been replaced by the improved
"D-Lighting" function.
3. The "Color Noise Reduction" functions has been improved.
4. A "Find Tool" option has been added to the View menu.
5. "Straighten" Tool added to Image menu.
6. A Check for updates option has been added to the Help menu.
7. Camera Control can now be used over a wireless connection to the
Wireless Transmitter WT-2 and D2X.
8. A problem that prevented Nikon Capture from launching with some
systems running Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP 2) has been corrected.

There are numerous feature additions and improvements to this new version
of Nikon Capture, see the accompanying "Read Me" for specifics. This
updater will update any version of Nikon Capture 4 to the latest 4.2
release.

Nikon Capture supports NEF editing from the D1-series, D2-series, D100, D70
and all Coolpix cameras with the ability to shoot NEF images. Be aware that
Nikon Capture Camera Control does not support Coolpix cameras. See the
included "Read Me" file for a complete list of new features and changes.
Compatible OS platform
Pre-Installed versions of:

1. Windows XP Home Edition
2. Windows XP Professional
3. Windows 2000 Professional
4. Windows ME Windows 98 SE

What's included in the download
An updater program to update Nikon Capture 4.x to 4. 2
Special Notes

* The license validation method has changed between Nikon Capture 4.x
and 4.2. License codes from earlier versions of Nikon Capture cannot be
used with Nikon Capture 4.2. You must already own and have installed and
activated Nikon Capture 4.x before installing this Update. A full, trial
version of Nikon Capture 4.2 will be available at a later date.

* It is strongly recommended that users download the "Nikon Capture 4.2
Users' Guide Addendum" for additional information. Currently, this guide is
only available in English.

Click Here for the "Nikon Capture 4.0 Users' Guide Manual Addendum"

* Please note that for Nikon Capture Camera control to operate
correctly, the D70 D-SLR model MUST have the USB interface mode set to PTP
* This update is for North American English versions of Nikon Capture, if
you are from another region, please contact your local Nikon distributer
for updates.

Click here to Agree to License and start download

File Size ~19.6 MB

************************************************** *******************************************

From the README.WRI file:

Nikon Capture Ver.4.2.0

Thank you for purchasing Nikon Capture software. This document contains the
latest available information, which may not be included in the user's
manual.

Images adjusted with Digital DEE

D-Lighting is the equivalent function of Digital DEE in Nikon Capture 4
version 4.1 or earlier. NEF formatted images having Digital DEE applied
need to be re-adjusted using D-Lighting since they do not reflect the
effects of Digital DEE on Nikon Capture 4.2. However, JPEG and TIFF
formatted images do reflect the Digital DEE effects on them on Nikon
Capture 4.2.

Saving in 16-bit TIFF format

When you save a NEF format file in the 16-bit TIFF format, selecting LZW
compression may result in a larger file size than without selecting LZW.

Information tool

Data shown before editing is no longer displayed in the Information tool
area in the version 4.2. You can only see the data after editing in the
area.

Bird's Eye

Images shown in the Bird's Eye area do not necessarily reflect all changes
applied.

Show Focus Area

When using Show Focus Area after straightening an image or straightening an
image after using Show Focus Area, the focus area is not shown accurately.

Product Key

The Product Activation Key for version 4.1 or earlier and version 4.2 are
not compatible. If you have a Product Activation Key for version 4.1 or
earlier, you need to install Nikon Capture 4 version 4.1 or earlier and
input the Product Key for that version, and then install the version 4.2 or
later. Version 3 Product Activation keys cannot be used with Nikon Capture
4.

Multi Image Window

• Since thumbnail images in the Multi Image Window may not reflect the
current image correctly, the final results should be confirmed in the Image
Window.
• If you choose the By File Type + Shooting Date from the Sort Key under
the Multi Image Window menu, the images are sorted to a precision of one
second.
• In the Multi Image Window, the Zoom In/Zoom Out option zooms in/out only
the foremost image window when you select multiple images. The other
selected images are not zoomed.
• Using the Match Settings option under the Multi Image Window menu does
not apply rotation and straightening settings applied to the selected
images.
• Even when the Show it with Multi Image Window option is selected in the
Download Options dialog in Camera Control, thumbnails of the images taken
may be hidden and not displayed in the thumbnail area.

Page setup

Selecting Print Setup under the File menu and Page Setup in the Print
Layout dialog present an identical dialog box.

Opening with Photoshop

When you open the images edited with Nikon Capture using Photoshop, a
dialog notifying that the server is busy may be displayed. In this case,
click the retry button, and continue the operation.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0

• 16-bit images shown with Nikon Capture Editor cannot be opened with Adobe
Photoshop Elements 3.0 by either selecting "Open with Photoshop (16-bit)"
from the Image menu or pressing the "Open with Photoshop" Quick Tools
button after selecting "Transfers 16-bit data when possible" on the General
tab in the Options dialog.
• If you aren't a registered user of Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0, "An
error occurred while opening the image with Photoshop." may be displayed
after either selecting "Open with Photoshop (8-bit)" from the Image menu or
pressing the "Open with Photoshop" Quick Tools button. In this case, you
should complete your registration first or open the images after launching
Photoshop Elements 3.0.

Support for NEF Files

NEF files created or saved using Nikon Capture 4 will not open as expected
in Nikon Capture versions 1,2 and 3.

Batch Processing

• When "Periodically check for new files in this folder" is selected in the
Batch dialog, the figure shown in the batch progress dialog for "files
saved" may not be correct.
• When the “Include subfolders” checkbox is on Nikon Capture will process
all images in the selected folder and all sub-folders but will not create
new subfolders. All processed files will be together in the destination
folder. If you have files with the same names in folders and subfolders the
destination will only have the last file processed. Nikon Capture will over
right the previously processed images. Make sure you do not have files with
the same names in subfolders.

Auto Bracketing

Shutter speed cannot be set correctly from the Nikon Capture “Camera
Control” window when auto bracketing is in effect.

COOLPIX cameras that support an image-quality setting of RAW

With COOLPIX cameras that support the RAW image-quality setting, pictures
displayed at zoom ratios of 25% or less in preview mode may appear rough
and pixilated. This is not a malfunction. These images will display
properly at their original resolution, after being saved, regardless of how
they may appear in the editor.

Uninstalling Nikon Capture 4

If you uninstall Nikon Capture 4, the Nikon View 6 application list and the
applications selected for editing still images, movies, and voice memos in
the Nikon View 6 Preferences dialog will be reset to defaults. After
uninstalling Nikon Capture 4, you will need to restore the preference
settings in Nikon View 6.

PC Micro Nikkor 85mm F2.8D lens

When using the PC Micro Nikkor 85mm F2.8D lens the “Lens Type” displayed in
the Shooting Data will be incorrect. Also the “Lens” display on the
“Mechanical” tab page of the Nikon Capture Control program will be
incorrect.

Using SB-80DX and SB-50DX with Nikon Capture Control
When you use Nikon Capture Control software and a digital camera connected
to the computer using a cable, the Flash Compensation display on the camera
control window shows the value only in 1/3 EV step and the range will be
limited to -3 EV to +1 EV. Although the actual compensation value can be
set in 1/6 EV step and range between -3 EV and +3 EV using the control on
the Speedlight, the Nikon Capture Camera Control does not properly display
the setting. Please confirm the actual Flash Compensation value on the
display on the Speedlight body.

Shooting Information Display

• Despite the fact that the images taken with D2X will show Saturation comp
in the Shooting Data area, D2X cameras do not have the saturation
compensation function.
• Information displayed in the shooting info area is wrong if the file has
been saved by the Nikon Scan software.

3. File Versions

Program files version is as follows:

NCapture.exe :4.2.0.3010
NCaptureLang.dll :4.2.0.3010
Asteroid6.dll :6.1.0.3003
CML6.dll :6.0.0.3000
DRAGNKL1.dll :2.0.0.14
Neutral.set
NikonPrint.dll :1.5.2.3000
NkBrowseLib4.dll :4.2.0.3007
NkIPTC2.dll :2.1.0.3001
picn1020.dll :1.0.1.48
picn1120.dll :1.0.1.46
picn20.dll :1.0.0.114
ProgressLog.dll :4.2.0.3005
RCSigProc.dll :1.0.0.3002
RedEye.dll :2.2.0.5
StdFilters4.dll :4.0.0.3002
Strato4.dll :4.1.0.3003
WorkQueue.dll :1.0.0.3000
Zelkova3.dll :3.1.0.3001

NControl.exe :4.2.0.3006
NControlLang.dll :4.2.0.3003
Asteroid6.dll :6.1.0.3003
CamCurve.bin
CML6.dll :6.0.0.3000
DRAGNKL1.dll :2.0.0.14
NEFLibrary3.dll :3.1.0.3006
Neutral.set
NkIPTC2.dll :2.1.0.3001
NkRotateLib3.dll :3.1.0.3003
NkRotateUtility2.exe :2.1.0.3000
picn1020.dll :1.0.1.48
picn1120.dll :1.0.1.46
picn20.dll :1.0.0.114
RedEye.dll :2.2.0.5
StdFilters4.dll :4.0.0.3002
Strato4.dll :4.1.0.3003
WorkQueue.dll :1.0.0.3000
Zelkova3.dll :3.1.0.3001

D100_Mod.md3 :1.1.3.3001
D1_Drv.dll :2.0.0.3001
D1_Mod.md3 :2.1.7.3001
D2_Mod.md3 :1.0.0.3003
D70_Mod.md3 :1.0.1.3002
NikonDx.sys :2.0.0.3003
NkdStor.dll :1.0.0.3009

Nikon NEF Plugin.8bi :4.0.4.3002
DRAGNKL1.dll :2.0.0.14
NkNEFPlugin.dll :4.1.0.3006
picn1020.dll :1.0.1.48
picn1120.dll :1.0.1.46
picn20.dll :1.0.0.114
RCSigProc.dll :1.0.0.3002
RedEye.dll :2.2.0.5
Strato4.dll :4.1.0.3003

Nk0080.lns
NKAdobe.icm :4.0.0.3000
NKApple.icm :4.0.0.3000
NKBruce.icm :4.0.0.3000
NkCBoost.nlc
NKCIE.icm :4.0.0.3000
NKCMatch.icm :4.0.0.3000
NKCMYK.icm :4.0.0.3000
NKD1_NEF.icm :1.0.0.3001
NKDBase_NEF.icm :3.0.0.3000
NKGrayG18.icm :4.0.0.3000
NKGrayG22.icm :4.0.0.3000
NKLab.icm :4.0.0.3000
NKLch2.icm :4.0.0.3003
NkLchCal.nla
NKMonitor_Mac.icm :4.0.0.3000
NKMonitor_Win.icm :4.0.0.3000
NKNTSC.icm :4.0.0.3000
NKsRGB.icm :4.0.0.3001
NKWide.icm :4.0.0.3000
NKYCC.icm :4.0.0.3001

----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

George

One problem that I had (that I didn't find mentioned anywhere regarding
installing this 4.2 update) is that
with Windows XP you have to turn off DEP ("data execution protection"
temporarily and only in regards to the Nikon software) in order to get this
to install properly and use your 4.1 product key. Just use the Windows Help
feature and search on DEP to see how to do it.

George

"Ed Ruf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...cGFnZT0x&p_li=

<<<CLIP>>>

Sheldon

"George" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BrVQd.8545$(E-Mail Removed)...
> One problem that I had (that I didn't find mentioned anywhere regarding
> installing this 4.2 update) is that
> with Windows XP you have to turn off DEP ("data execution protection"
> temporarily and only in regards to the Nikon software) in order to get
> this
> to install properly and use your 4.1 product key. Just use the Windows
> Help
> feature and search on DEP to see how to do it.
>
> George
>
> "Ed Ruf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

> http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...cGFnZT0x&p_li=
>>

> <<<CLIP>>>

What are you talking about? I've got version 4.4.0 of Nikon Capture.

george

"Sheldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "George" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:BrVQd.8545$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> One problem that I had (that I didn't find mentioned anywhere regarding
>> installing this 4.2 update) is that
>> with Windows XP you have to turn off DEP ("data execution protection"
>> temporarily and only in regards to the Nikon software) in order to get
>> this
>> to install properly and use your 4.1 product key. Just use the Windows
>> Help
>> feature and search on DEP to see how to do it.
>>
>> George
>>
>> "Ed Ruf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>

>> http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...cGFnZT0x&p_li=
>>>

>> <<<CLIP>>>
>>

> What are you talking about? I've got version 4.4.0 of Nikon Capture.

Me too...when I posted that (about SIX MONTHS AGO), 4.2 was the latest
available. Please check the dates before responding or you'll get other
people confused too.