Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 500W Flourescent photo lamps ????

500W Flourescent photo lamps ????

dajaxon

I have had an interest in using "hot" lights in place of flash for indoor
work and realize that 500W lights can be dangerously hot. Are there any 500W
equivalents in flourescents that wil probably last longer and be cooler?

I don't think I really need to have 5000K lights since I'm shooting
digital - because I believe I can color correct for the K.

Anyone have any leads of who might make this, and comments about this being
a wise choice or not.

DJ

Crownfield

dajaxon wrote:

> I have had an interest in using "hot" lights in place of flash for indoor
> work and realize that 500W lights can be dangerously hot. Are there any 500W
> equivalents in flourescents that wil probably last longer and be cooler?
>
> I don't think I really need to have 5000K lights since I'm shooting
> digital - because I believe I can color correct for the K.
>
> Anyone have any leads of who might make this, and comments about this being
> a wise choice or not.

strobes?

> DJ

Matt Ion

dajaxon wrote:
> I have had an interest in using "hot" lights in place of flash for indoor
> work and realize that 500W lights can be dangerously hot. Are there any 500W
> equivalents in flourescents that wil probably last longer and be cooler?
>
> I don't think I really need to have 5000K lights since I'm shooting
> digital - because I believe I can color correct for the K.
>
> Anyone have any leads of who might make this, and comments about this being
> a wise choice or not.

I dunno that you'd really want to use flourescent - despite designed
color temperatures, their light output tends to within very narrow bands
- a spectrograph generally looks like a comb with a bunch of teeth
missing, just one long tooth at the primary wavelenth and maybe a few
shorter ones. Same with any light source that uses excited gas vapors
to produce most of their output, like mercury-vapor street lamps, which
is why colors tend to look odd or almost disappear entirely under these
lights.

Even colored incandescants light up a fairly wide range of color around
their primary color.

Ever considered a couple proper studio strobes?

MarkČ

"dajaxon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6QWPd.55719$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have had an interest in using "hot" lights in place of flash for indoor
> work and realize that 500W lights can be dangerously hot. Are there any 500W
> equivalents in flourescents that wil probably last longer and be cooler?
>
> I don't think I really need to have 5000K lights since I'm shooting
> digital - because I believe I can color correct for the K.
>
> Anyone have any leads of who might make this, and comments about this being
> a wise choice or not.
>
> DJ

I really don't think you would find floourescent light very pleasing--even with filters or
white-balance adjustments.

Bob Williams

dajaxon wrote:
> I have had an interest in using "hot" lights in place of flash for indoor
> work and realize that 500W lights can be dangerously hot. Are there any 500W
> equivalents in flourescents that wil probably last longer and be cooler?
>
> I don't think I really need to have 5000K lights since I'm shooting
> digital - because I believe I can color correct for the K.
>
> Anyone have any leads of who might make this, and comments about this being
> a wise choice or not.
>
> DJ

Visit this site.
http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com...orescent.shtml
They have a 65 Watt compact fluorescent Full Spectrum CRI=93
(CRI= Color RenditionIndex Index) that has a lumen output equivalent to
a 300W incandescent.
A pair of those may serve your needs.
Bob Williams

Al Dykes

In article <3xYPd.385973$6l.320129@pd7tw2no>,
Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>dajaxon wrote:
>> I have had an interest in using "hot" lights in place of flash for indoor
>> work and realize that 500W lights can be dangerously hot. Are there any 500W
>> equivalents in flourescents that wil probably last longer and be cooler?
>>
>> I don't think I really need to have 5000K lights since I'm shooting
>> digital - because I believe I can color correct for the K.
>>
>> Anyone have any leads of who might make this, and comments about this being
>> a wise choice or not.

>I dunno that you'd really want to use flourescent - despite designed
>color temperatures, their light output tends to within very narrow bands
>- a spectrograph generally looks like a comb with a bunch of teeth
>missing, just one long tooth at the primary wavelenth and maybe a few
>shorter ones. Same with any light source that uses excited gas vapors
>to produce most of their output, like mercury-vapor street lamps, which
>is why colors tend to look odd or almost disappear entirely under these
>lights.
>
>Even colored incandescants light up a fairly wide range of color around
>their primary color.
>
>Ever considered a couple proper studio strobes?

500 watts is 500 watts. If it's on all the time it doesn't matter if
it's a toaster or a photo lamp. It's going to generate the same amount
of heat.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

SteveJ

Never tried but what about the 150-200Watt equivalent Spiral or twister
fluorescents bulbs, use two of them to eq 500w bulb.
The heat output will be allot less also. A 45 watt spiral bulb will almost
generate the light equivalent of a 200 bulb.

Bob Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> dajaxon wrote:
>> I have had an interest in using "hot" lights in place of flash for indoor
>> work and realize that 500W lights can be dangerously hot. Are there any
>> 500W
>> equivalents in flourescents that wil probably last longer and be cooler?
>>
>> I don't think I really need to have 5000K lights since I'm shooting
>> digital - because I believe I can color correct for the K.
>>
>> Anyone have any leads of who might make this, and comments about this
>> being
>> a wise choice or not.
>>
>> DJ
>>

> Visit this site.
> http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com...orescent.shtml
> They have a 65 Watt compact fluorescent Full Spectrum CRI=93
> (CRI= Color RenditionIndex Index) that has a lumen output equivalent to a
> 300W incandescent.
> A pair of those may serve your needs.
> Bob Williams

John Passaneau

Calumet photo (search google) sells 2 different lighting setups to do just
what you want.

--
John Passaneau
Penn State University

"MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message

> "dajaxon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:6QWPd.55719$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have had an interest in using "hot" lights in place of flash for indoor
> > work and realize that 500W lights can be dangerously hot. Are there any

500W
> > equivalents in flourescents that wil probably last longer and be cooler?
> >
> > I don't think I really need to have 5000K lights since I'm shooting
> > digital - because I believe I can color correct for the K.
> >
> > Anyone have any leads of who might make this, and comments about this

being
> > a wise choice or not.
> >
> > DJ

> I really don't think you would find floourescent light very pleasing--even

with filters or
> white-balance adjustments.

Charlie Self

Try

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=2249

Watch the wrap. B&H has a lot of fluorescent studio set-ups, kits and
otherwise. Be warned: low end is very close to $700 for a two or three
light kit. If the wrap screws up, just go to bhphotovideo.com and check
out studio lighting.

Joseph Meehan

dajaxon wrote:
> I have had an interest in using "hot" lights in place of flash for
> indoor work and realize that 500W lights can be dangerously hot. Are
> there any 500W equivalents in flourescents that wil probably last
> longer and be cooler?
>
> I don't think I really need to have 5000K lights since I'm shooting
> digital - because I believe I can color correct for the K.

No you don't need 5000K, but you can experience some unexpected, and
unpredictable and often undesirable results with fluorescent lights. The
newer better fluorescent lamps are better than the old ones, but they not
the equal to a full spectrum lamp.

What happens is that with sun light and tungsten type lamps there is a
fairly smooth continuous mix if colors. You may call them analog. In
fluorescent and gas discharge lamps, the light tends to be spotty, with very
strong bust of output at certain specific colors and then gaps between.

If you had only true white or gray or black subjects like a gray card,
your results would be fine. however in real life it is not that simple.
Take a tree leaf. During the summer, it appears green. In the fall it
"turns" red. Well it did not change color it lost some of the chemicals in
the leaf and they reflected on certain colors and then the remainder of the
chemicals show up as the colors that they reflect. Part of the spectrum is
no longer reflected. These lights make it more complex.

Some objects reflect only a very small range of certain colors. If the
light reflected by those chemicals in a leaf that leave the leaf in the
fall, reflected on a small range of light and if your fluorescent lamp did
not have any light in that range, but rather had extra strong light in close
by colors, you might see the green leaf, but the camera would see the red
fall leaf.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math