Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > which mp3 players connect to digital cameras?

which mp3 players connect to digital cameras?

tolgan

I want to buy an mp3 player, 20 Mb or up, that I can connect my olympus
digital to (i.e. download photos direct to it without going through a PC.)

I know the ipod works if I buy a Belkin attachment, anyome know about the
other mp3 players (iriver, zen creative, samsung, etc) - or a reference site
that has this stuff.

Eric Gill

"tolgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I want to buy an mp3 player, 20 Mb or up, that I can connect my
> olympus digital to (i.e. download photos direct to it without going
> through a PC.)

That's not the best idea, really. When the camera is connected to the
device, you cannot shoot. What you will probably prefer is something with a
card reader for whatever media you body uses, so you can swap and keep
shooting.

> I know the ipod works if I buy a Belkin attachment,

Well, it works. Can't say too much else about it.

> anyome know about
> the other mp3 players (iriver, zen creative, samsung, etc) - or a
> reference site that has this stuff.

Depends - there is a godawful lot of variety out there, from the ultra-high
end Epson P-2000 down:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

Do you want soemthing like this or something ultra-portable that will just
empty your cards and play music?

tolgan

> That's not the best idea, really. When the camera is connected to the
> device, you cannot shoot. What you will probably prefer is something with
> card reader for whatever media you body uses, so you can swap and keep
> shooting.

Hm, I wasn't expecting to want to shoot with the hard disk device attached.
Just maybe download images from the camera memory to the hard disk at the
end of the day and clear them out of the camera memory to free up space.
Having said which, a card reader that I can plug into the disk device would
be fine too. (If it takes XD which my olympus uses)
Well, it works. Can't say too much else about it.

>> anyome know about
>> the other mp3 players (iriver, zen creative, samsung, etc) - or a
>> reference site that has this stuff.

> Depends - there is a godawful lot of variety out there, from the
> ultra-high
> end Epson P-2000 down:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/
>
> Do you want soemthing like this or something ultra-portable that will just
> empty your cards and play music?

More the latter I think. I'm primarily buying it as a music player, but the
chance to use it as an alternative to buying more camera memory is too good
to miss!

Gavin

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:56:47 -0000, "tolgan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I want to buy an mp3 player, 20 Mb or up, that I can connect my olympus
>digital to (i.e. download photos direct to it without going through a PC.)
>
>I know the ipod works if I buy a Belkin attachment, anyome know about the
>other mp3 players (iriver, zen creative, samsung, etc) - or a reference site
>that has this stuff.

if it takes compact flash, try looking at the Archos Gmini 220. that
has a built in CF socket you can move images from the card to the
player, (but not back to the card..)

If it takes anything else you can get a CF to the usual four main card
types but it's more to carry.

B. Peg

Check out the Archo's multimedia player/recorder. Comes with either a 20 or
80 gig drive as well as a "built-in" (whoo-hoo!) Compact Flash port at one
end. They sell an adapter for the CF port that will take just about any
card as well to load into the unit. I have the AV420 and absolutely love
it. I load DVD (compressed DivX - note: this process takes some time to
learn!) movies, Mp3 songs with associated cover art, and even use it as a
portable input for a video cam instead of tape/mini-disk. You can even
record off you TV or DVD player. Smaller unit (i.e. the AV400/420) has a
removable battery so you don't have to worry about recharging downtime or
sending it off to the factory when it pukes in a year (aka iPod). I picked
up a spare at NewEgg.com for around $30.

The unit has a very fast boot time, maybe 4-8 seconds compared to longer
times in the other brands. Drive is so quiet I cannot hear it. I also use
it on a motorcycle and so far it hasn't skipped on a Mp3 song and if it does
it'll probably wish it hadn't (violent temper tantrum aside / ).

If you want to load just SD card data into it, Minolta/Konica makes a
adapter SD to CF card that will work and is smaller than the Archo's adapter
but it is also twice the price (~$80).

Just be prepared to pay for it. The 20 gig unit is around $550 (CompUSA)
and the 80 gig is around $800. I also got some custom-molded ear-canal
phones from Etymotics, Sensaphonics, and Westone and the unit sounds far
better than other players I've listened to through them. Those phones
aren't tolerant on bad music, distortion, white-noise, or rips.

Buy the best and cry only once. I still need to learn that lesson from all
the crap I've bought over the years.

Not a shill. Just a very happy Archo's owner.

B~

Steven M. Scharf

Get the Archos AV420. $442 on Amazon, after rebate (or AV480 for $650,
after rebate). These are AV.

For audio only, look at the Archos Gmini 220 for $215, after rebate.

However, there have been a lot of complaints about Archos products.

Supposedly, the iRiver ihp-120 is much better, but you'd need a Macally
Syncbox and maybe a card reader, to do the transfer from the memory card
(but many camera can connect directly to the Syncbox).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...