Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > HORRID Experience with Sony Imagestation!

HORRID Experience with Sony Imagestation!

Ryan

I want to scream!

For a few years, we have used digital cameras on our vacations and then
had hardcover books of our trips made after our return. In the past, we
had always used MyPublisher.com who had web based software for creating
their photo books. It took time, but the finished books were wonderful.

About a year ago, for some insane reason, they ditched their web based
software and replaced it with a small book designing application you
download instead. The problem is the download actually has fewer design
features than the old. No page borders, fewer layout options, etc. So,
we had to stop using MyPublisher.

For our last trip, we decided to try the book making software at Sony
Imagestation. We uploaded our photos (200+) and began making a book..
MONTHS ago. We run into one problem after the other and have to find
time to come back and try again.

1. In the middle of creating a page you'll randomly get a "can't make
connection to server" message and no page will display. You either have
to log out and back in or close your browser and try again. We have
this problem with Imagestation's book creating area on several machines
at several locations, so it's got to be on their end.

2. Another random error occurs a times with their "web built interface"
and you get an error message with about 4 lines of unreadable text.
Again, you have to log out and back. SO, for both of these reasons, we
have to save every few minutes when it's working so we don't loose
anything when the next error pops us.

3. For unknown reasons, whenever we go back into the book to keep
working on it, only about 20 photos are available to us to use. We have
to go back and load the other 180+ photos into the project from their
album to be able to use them on pages. If we leave Imagestation and
come back later, we have to go load the missing photos again even
though we're saved. The image are simply won't hold onto all the
images, only some of them and you have to go get the rest over and over
to keep working on your book each time you return to the site.

In any event, this book has taken us countless hours to built all
because of problems with Sony's software! We're amazed any customer
would find this acceptable.

Does anyone know of a site other than MyPublisher or Imagestation where
you can upload digital photos and then design and order hardcover photo
books? We have yet another book to make after this one and can't bare
to go through this with Sony again!

Tony Cooper

On 12 Feb 2005 20:14:10 -0800, "Ryan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>We have yet another book to make after this one and can't bare
>to go through this with Sony again!

Try wearing clothes when you use the program.

Ryan

> Try wearing clothes when you use the program.

PLEASE respond with HELPFUL advice and feedback or not at all.

Thank you!

Keith

Ryan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a site other than MyPublisher or Imagestation where
> you can upload digital photos and then design and order hardcover photo
> books? We have yet another book to make after this one and can't bare
> to go through this with Sony again!

iPhoto has a book designing feature, you prepare everything on your
computer, only uploading when the design is finished.

kashe@sonic.net

On 13 Feb 2005 07:08:26 -0800, "Ryan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Try wearing clothes when you use the program.

>PLEASE respond with HELPFUL advice and feedback or not at all.
>
>Thank you!

While searching for a new program, please also look for a
sense of humor about your own spelling (which you conveniently
snipped).

Thank you!

Ray Fischer

Ryan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I want to scream!

[...]

www.ofoto.com ?

--
Ray Fischer

Tony Cooper

On 13 Feb 2005 07:08:26 -0800, "Ryan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Try wearing clothes when you use the program.

>PLEASE respond with HELPFUL advice and feedback or not at all.
>
>Thank you!

It should be quite helpful for you to know that there's a difference
between "bare" and "bear". For example, if you're shooting some
pictures of a live model and hold up a sign that says "Bear!", she
might run off in fright and you wouldn't get to finish the session.

You're welcome.

Ryan

> iPhoto has a book designing feature, you prepare everything on your
> computer, only uploading when the design is finished.

Thanks Keith!

iPhoto looks great, but I have two stupid questions...

1. Is it ONLY for Mac?? I am on PC.

2. It appears they want $79.99 for the software. Would that be true
even if you just wanted to create books and order them later? Doesn't
seem right.

Keith

Ryan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > iPhoto has a book designing feature, you prepare everything on your
> > computer, only uploading when the design is finished.

> Thanks Keith!
>
> iPhoto looks great, but I have two stupid questions...
>
> 1. Is it ONLY for Mac?? I am on PC.
>
> 2. It appears they want $79.99 for the software. Would that be true
> even if you just wanted to create books and order them later? Doesn't
> seem right.

It is Mac only I'm afraid, comes free with all new Macs, why not look at
the new Mac Mini, or whatever its called, you can use all of your
peripherals: screen, keyboard, etc, just swap out the CPU and away you
go with all of the iLife software which works very well together.
Excellent free iDVD - (DVD authoring for slie shows and movies) as well.

Markeau

I have been using Imagestation for over a year. A few times I also
experienced some problems, so had to try again later (like the next
day) and everything would then work ok.